does anyone know the coil spring rates on:

non cup front
non cup rear

197 cup front
197 cup rear

200 cup front
200 cup rear

coilover variants?

I sent mine away when I was researching for coilers.

197 Standard Springs

Front: 170 lb/in 29.8 n/mm
Rear: 230 lb/in 40.3 n/mm

Going from what RenaultSport say the others are uprated by you can roughly work out the rest. 197 Cup 15% stiffer springs than standard. 200 Sport 15% softer than 197 Sport and 200 cup 15% stiffer than 197 Cup.

197 Cup Springs

Front: 195.5 lb/in 34.2 n/mm
Rear: 245 lb/in 42.9 n/mm

200 Standard Springs

Front: 144.5 lb/in 25.3 n/mm
Rear: 215 lb/in 37.6 n/mm

200 Cup Springs

Front: 224.8 lb/in 39.4 n/mm
Rear: 260 lb/in 45.5 n/mm

KW V1 & V3

Front: 50 n/mm
Rear: 50 n/mm

H&R Coilovers

Front: 80 n/mm
Rear: 80 n/mm

AST Sportline II, track set-up

Front: 100 n/mm
Rear: 110 n/mm

This is awesome information!

Does anyone know if you could for example fit 200 cup suspension to your 197 cup purely to gain the extra lb/in???

This is awesome information!

Does anyone know if you could for example fit 200 cup suspension to your 197 cup purely to gain the extra lb/in???

yes striaght firment,

i was purly after the figures as im makign my own rear coilover setup :smile:

Interesting that the KWs are stiffer than all the standard setups as people say these are more comfortable than standard shocks and springs, guess it must be down to the damping?

Interesting that the KWs are stiffer than all the standard setups as people say these are more comfortable than standard shocks and springs, guess it must be down to the damping?

Absolutely, alot say the cup pack is the same level as the v1 kit but looking at those figures it's bound to be a complete improvement interms of furthering stability etc?!?!

Got this from Madeno (when I was looking at lowering springs): SPRING RATES

The OEM factory front springs of the Clio RS are progressive, the rear springs are linear!
our front and rear springs are both progressive and will give the car a better balance,
handling, more comfort at lower shock speeds and reduces the body roll !

Spring rate OEM Clio RS factory front springs: progressive 28 N/mm up to 40 N/mm
Spring rate OEM Clio RS F1-R27-Cup front springs : progressive 40 N/mm up to 60 N/mm
Spring rate Madeno Racing springs Clio RS : progressive 32 N/mm up to 50 N/mm

Spring rate OEM Clio RS factory rear springs : linear 48 N/mm
Spring rate OEM Clio RS F1-R27-Cup rear springs : linear 67 N/mm
Spring rate Madeno Racing rear springs : progressive 45 N/mm up to 62 N/mm

Together with our springs we also want to recommand another kind of bump stops
for the front axle, the original bump stops are too stiff, the car will hit the original front
bumps under (hard) braking.

The front suspension block too easy at the stiff OEM front bump stops and the rear of
the car becomes very twisty in the mean time.

Got this from Madeno (when I was looking at lowering springs): SPRING RATES

The OEM factory front springs of the Clio RS are progressive, the rear springs are linear!
our front and rear springs are both progressive and will give the car a better balance,
handling, more comfort at lower shock speeds and reduces the body roll !

Spring rate OEM Clio RS factory front springs: progressive 28 N/mm up to 40 N/mm
Spring rate OEM Clio RS F1-R27-Cup front springs : progressive 40 N/mm up to 60 N/mm
Spring rate Madeno Racing springs Clio RS : progressive 32 N/mm up to 50 N/mm

Spring rate OEM Clio RS factory rear springs : linear 48 N/mm
Spring rate OEM Clio RS F1-R27-Cup rear springs : linear 67 N/mm
Spring rate Madeno Racing rear springs : progressive 45 N/mm up to 62 N/mm

Together with our springs we also want to recommand another kind of bump stops
for the front axle, the original bump stops are too stiff, the car will hit the original front
bumps under (hard) braking.

The front suspension block too easy at the stiff OEM front bump stops and the rear of
the car becomes very twisty in the mean time.

here the front spring are progressive but mark put only one value...:huh:

ex. 197 standard 29.8 N/mm mark
.......................28/40N/mm you

maybe mark says the minimum value?

Sì, perché penso che le molle anteriori sono Progressive invece di essere lineare, ci sarebbe un tasso di carico bassa e alta che avrebbe senso credo.

(Yes I think because the front springs are Progressive rather than being Linear, there would be a low and high load rate which would make sense I guess.)

EDIT:

If there are 2 different values listed, it means that the spring starts at one rate, and ends at another rate under full compression.

For example: a 10lb to 25lb progressive spring will need 10lb to compress it the first inch, then 13lb the next inch, and so on, until the end of the travel; it will take 25lb to compress it the last inch. The benefit of this is that the spring can be soft enough at the start of the travel to offer a soft ride yet be stiff enough at the end of the travel to performance well during hard braking and turning.

Last edited:
I'll scan my graphs.

It only gives one Rate but with the graph the Displacement goes to 4.00in for the front and 3.00in for the rear.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know where to find the KW spring rate information from? Have searched all over but no results so far.

Here ya go:

197 Standard Springs

Front: 170 lb/in 29.8 n/mm
Rear: 230 lb/in 40.3 n/mm

Going from what RenaultSport say the others are uprated by you can roughly work out the rest. 197 Cup 15% stiffer springs than standard. 200 Sport 15% softer than 197 Sport and 200 cup 15% stiffer than 197 Cup.

197 Cup Springs

Front: 195.5 lb/in 34.2 n/mm
Rear: 245 lb/in 42.9 n/mm

200 Standard Springs

200 Cup Springs

Front: 224.8 lb/in 39.4 n/mm
Rear: 260 lb/in 45.5 n/mm

KW V1 & V3

Front: 50 n/mm
Rear: 50 n/mm

H&R Coilovers

Front: 80 n/mm
Rear: 80 n/mm

AST Sportline II, track set-up

Front: 100 n/mm
Rear: 110 n/mm

Thanks dude i had seen that, but where exactly did the KW spring rate part come from and the spring rates for the 197/200. Is there some PDF on the net somewhere anyone knows of that lists the suspension spec for the 197/200 for example and the same the kw stuff i guess.....i trust the site and people on it, but where did they get it from?!

Thanks dude i had seen that, but where exactly did the KW spring rate part come from and the spring rates for the 197/200. Is there some PDF on the net somewhere anyone knows of that lists the suspension spec for the 197/200 for example and the same the kw stuff i guess.....i trust the site and people on it, but where did they get it from?!

Noddie's missed out the part that says I sent away a standard set of 197 springs which I had lying around from my first 197 to be rated. The others are worked out from there going from RenaultSports press releases ie 15% stiffer etc.

So they may not be bang on accurate but the standard 197 rates certainly are.

The others H&R & KW are from phoning them and asking them what spring rate they use on their 197/200 coilover kit.

The AST Sportline II kit mentioned has spring rates that I requested, actually Eibach on the front and AST on the rear. Iirc their track kit is 80n/mm front and 110n/mm rear

Noddie's missed out the part that says I sent away a standard set of 197 springs which I had lying around from my first 197 to be rated. The others are worked out from there going from RenaultSports press releases ie 15% stiffer etc.

So they may not be bang on accurate but the standard 197 rates certainly are.

The others H&R & KW are from phoning them and asking them what spring rate they use on their 197/200 coilover kit.

The AST Sportline II kit mentioned has spring rates that I requested, actually Eibach on the front and AST on the rear. Iirc their track kit is 80n/mm front and 110n/mm rear

Aaaah i see. I tend to do a fair amount of zipping about here and there but will never be taking the R27 on the track. So i have ordered the KW V1 kit through Matt at TDF. Must admit i cant wait to get it fitted.

200 Standard Springs

Hi Fellas,
I'd like to order new springs set dedicated for clio 200 standard (as above).
What colour marks should the springs have or what part number would it be ?
Thanks in advance