Clubsport 250 Cup

Renault escalation at its finest:tired:

Hope your wheels are sealed mate cos them W5’s are brutal with the old deposits!
Stop like crazy mind….

msrWUFB.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sean197 and RSRowe
Another small but overdue update.

Noticed the rear brake lines were all corroded, so replaced them with some HEL braided lines and yet another litre of SRF.
Also switched over my completely shagged rear calliper with a cheap one from @Nick which “needs a refurb”.
Yes the paint might be grotty, but they’re in excellent condition. For the first time since buying it, I’ve been able to park it on my drive with the handbrake :tearsofjoy:

8F73029E-8EF1-48E1-8116-5483D0D0A6C0.jpeg

Also been doing my best to upset the purists. Printed myself a little plastic guide to put in a hole saw so I didn’t have to strip anything apart to drill out the strut tops.

56A3CC05-0C66-4DD0-8807-27368B991DE7.jpeg

CB0D83DB-C307-4428-92FA-65188B993DEB.jpeg

I’ve just flashed over with some zinc primer for now, but will get some weld on them and some proper paint soon.

Had a nut and bolt check ready for Blyton at the weekend, and spotted some ominous looking grease. Can’t make my mind up whether it’s come out of the new shafts, or was from the old ones. The boot looks in perfect condition when rotating it round :nomouth:

B52E7ED8-AD37-489C-B9DF-160DB3DBD382.jpeg

I’ve come home in it tonight and will go work in it tomorrow in the hope that more grease spews out. It’s gonna properly piss on my bonfire if a new genuine shaft is buggered, and will also mean I likely miss out on Blyton, given the grease flings directly onto the downpipe.

So yep….. the shafts defo leaking

A70B5310-2C51-47FB-9FF6-24F967ED9342.jpeg

This is what happens when ya buy OEM parts I guess. Gonna have loads of fun returning it to AUTODOC I know it!
Fortunately I still have the old shafts, so switched that back in ready for Blyton tomorrow.

Switched over the Direzzas to my new A052’s, in the hope they they’d fit better. 255 direzza vs 245 a052

4B27DED8-0DB5-4163-9EC5-E543C9D9178C.jpeg

My AC has been blowing warm too, so set about drawing a vacuum on the system to check for leaks…….. wouldn’t even draw a vacuum it was that bad. But I guess that’s a problem for another day!

07D35943-3020-4E60-8602-CDCCDA177BC2.jpeg

Nipped back over to my friends for some alignment. Unfortunately the KW’s maxed out would only give 3 degrees of camber on one side, and 2.5 on the other. Will sort the rear toe out with some shims before the ring too.
Gone for a bit more toe out on the front than I usually do. Will see how it goes.

2D5A4F02-B6E1-4164-886B-DE13C6E0D45F.jpeg

0F783350-0ADB-481F-B624-3A669D8C4FEC.jpeg

35556CE6-A581-4791-B037-195DC4EAE966.jpeg

1E84B7C5-2A59-4F04-A11B-5182FFB3693A.jpeg

Packed up and ready to go. Really odd how a Meg boot is smaller than a Clio

So my intended update. 03/06 me and the poor showing from the Baguettes ventured up to Blyton - the intention being to use the day as a shakedown before the ring at the end of the month, given I’ve replaced quite a few bits since purchasing.
The day may as well of been a private booking, there was approximately 20 cars total in the pits.

Given I’d just fitted new brakes most the way round, and off the back of @Big Ben’s advice ref brake dust, I decided to do a bit of a warm up session on my road wheels in an effort to not shit up my Protracks with all the bedding in material.
Mind, was difficult not to get carried away trying to play with everything else which was on track at the time.

A return to the pits and I set about changing the wheels over with the freshly clad a052’s. All three of us managed to leave our rattle guns at home, so a lengthy wheel swap ensued.
Back out on track, instantly the car felt completely different. The steering was precise and direct, and there was instantly more grip on the front.

I’d actually remembered to charge and bring my camera this time round, but stupidly forgot to set the exposure since changing phones. This resulted in footage much like it had been filmed on the sun. Unfortunately this means that whilst I can share the video, you can’t actually see what happened (both of which I’m blaming on fresh brakes).

Ben did get a couple of videos chasing me, and mentioned that it was quite difficult to keep up now. It’s still pretty close between the cars, but Ben’s mechanical sympathy and plated diff far outweighs my commitment. Will be interesting to see what the difference is between them on the next day.

I handed the keys over to him, which resulted in a little boo boo. It’s difficult to see in the video, but you can see the car go from three wheels, firmly to four when he hits the kerb.

05D0DBCA-AFC8-409A-9ACB-45FFB185F581.jpeg

It is what it is, and was certainly bound to happen at some point. He has offered to buy a new wheel, but I’m not overly fussed. He can replace it if I ever do a Simmo and bend it in half.

The photographer spent very little time actually snapping the cars on track, and always seemed to be stood in completely the wrong place. However, there were a few interesting one.

2765EB89-A693-4718-B189-36A7D86ACC00.jpeg

018B798D-6FD6-44FC-8795-B574C8A6E3CB.jpeg

59C663B1-6231-4348-A90F-14538D4BB812.jpeg

7980D6A7-46F2-488C-87A5-3C03E01F0F5E.jpeg

A cool pic of them pair chasing each other too.

6AAEDF67-BC02-4782-9F25-6AC929D9271B.jpeg

Yeah I’d say it’s a good lads lads lads day, but i wouldn’t load up the trailer and head there if I had the choice..

A mere 45mins from me.. I’ve done it once but do prefer a proper circuit

Even how slow I go

Bit of a big update this. But my trip to the Ring below.

Friday, before the trip:
I was chatting to my old man and he decided now was the best time to question whether the timing belt had been done on the Megane. It's 13 years old, so should of had 1 at the very minimum during it's life. I have no history of this in any of the old documents, and all three of the previous owners I contacted, said "oh the previous owner did it".

Saturday:
I set about doing the belts (inc aux belt and tensioner) having previously ordered one, but being way too lazy to do it (this definitely bit me in the arse). Meganes are much more of a pain to do compared to the Clios, but it went pretty smoothly. Fortunately (i think it counts as fortunately), the belt had been done in the past as there were pen marks beneath the timing cover.

15876BA2-D53F-45BA-ADE8-F20923EEBA00.jpeg

80BC0BF8-EF77-4A63-85DC-0630976047DF.jpeg

Sunday:
Got the car packed up, and washed :smile:

Monday:
The AC debacle continues. Thought it best to drive it to work for a couple of days prior to the trip. I set off for work and the AC is blowing warm again. No time and no motivation to sort the issue, I'll just have to put up with the displeasure of being warm!

Tuesday, the trip itself:
I went from Hull to Rotterdam this time, this being my first foray on the ferry over such a distance. The ferry is overnight, leaving a 20:30, and arriving at 08:30. The journey was smooth sailing (lol), and upon docking on the other side, we only had a 3-3.5 hour road trip ahead of us (this a stark contrast to the 12+ hours it takes via the eurotunnel).
I travelled over with my mate in his E92 M3. Originally there was 3 of us heading over, but the 3rd member of the cohort had lapsed 16 days into the remaining 3 months of his passport and they wouldn't let him travel. This put a bit of a downer on the trip from the start, combined with both of us feeling slightly anxious about how savage the angles would be on the loading ramps to the ferry, and also the proximity of other cars once parked up.

We'd managed to time it just right, and got an ace little spot with plenty of room round the cars.

91D2B135-8CD1-442A-8055-56FE80A5D989.jpeg

1213CDB1-3E57-4E64-A99C-DEE685E78E4E.jpeg

Wednesday, food and TF spectating:
The journey through the Netherlands was without any hold ups whatsoever. A chilled drive across saw nearly 40mpg out of the Megane. Arriving in Adenau, we headed straight to The Cockpit for some Currywurst mitt fries. Check-in for the house rental wasn't until 4, so we mooched around for a bit and then headed up to Brunchen until we were allowed in.

B261CC46-B703-4BDE-8231-767BCF75D267.jpeg

A speedy unload of the car, and a swift wheel changeover, the car was now ready for some laps. Decided against going out on TF because i'm a big wuss.

Thursday, a day of monging about:
I'll skip this as nowt interesting really happened. Did take some moody pics of the car at the boulevard though

A2F4F714-2147-4194-A9CE-737D7C1B8647.jpeg

890993CB-ACF6-46AB-8C1F-02CDCA67FFC2.jpeg

Friday, trackday:
First port of call, breakfast! My absolute favourite thing in the world, is a handful of croissants at ED, and a can of Chocomel.

5EBC9613-A1A4-4EB2-BA30-1E4352908685.jpeg

For me, the day was pretty steady. I was pretty close to the lead car on the sighting laps, and after the first slow paced lap everyone decided to pit with the exception of a few and myself. Now, we were told on the gate upon entering, that as soon as the clock goes 08:45, the track goes live no matter where you are on the track. This message clearly hadn't processed in the M3 owners brain, as he was rather upset with me barging my way through.
I did have to take to the kerb a little on the exit of Brunchen 2, as the GR Yaris started to move over. No harm done thankfully :smile:

I did a couple of laps just blasting round on my own, without any distractions from others. The track was wet, but the A052's were gripping really well off the normal racing line. I love doing wet laps, as it makes me feel like a right hero going passed everyone.

8595A256-1D1A-46E5-8CE6-53A1DD372834.jpeg

It didn't take me too long to catch up with the back of the pack, so decided to come in for a natter with @R20BTG. I'd timed this pretty well, as almost instantly, the track went red and everyone started heading in. A GT3 had managed to lose the rear end and send it straight into the barriers on the exit of Hohe Acht.
Once the GT3 was recovered, the track time resumed, but with a large yellow flag section where the marshalls were on track repairing the barriers.

Had a couple of laps with a fellow Megane owner which was a good laugh. These laps were still pretty steady, but there's definitely some points where i need to remember that i'm not driving an n/a car any more.

7392D814-FC99-458F-BBB2-0F58E4E6D481.jpeg

A bit later on, Iain and myself head out for some chase/follow laps. Was great seeing how much his car moves around in the corners, but it was clear to see he was much braver than the year previous. I was very much looking forward to seeing some footage of him behind me, but the dafty himself forgot to set the white balance on his gopro. I'll let Iain post the video of me chasing him on his build thread, but i will post this photo here, purely because it's ace and it's some achievement!
I'm definitely taking all credit for applying the right amount of rearward persuasion though.

3A57791D-2824-4E83-AC20-F4DE3EB6673A.jpeg

I'd noticed a bit of a clunk on the front of mine towards the end of the day. Had a quick mooch around, but couldn't find anything untoward. There was quite a length closure in the afternoon where an M3 had gone over the barrier. This meant that the final hour on track was really busy, so i didn't bother pushing on too much. One thing which was a bit of a shock, is my extinguisher had managed to come out of its mount, and partially go off in the footwell.
I fortunately managed to clock what had happened, and sharp opened the windows. Definitely had a bit of a throaty cough since it happened.

In total, i did 23 laps, which has gotta be a record of mine for a single day given the closures.

The rest of the trip:
Not too much to mention here. The rest of the trip was a combination of eating, sleeping, spectating, eating, and looking at all the wrecks being recovered off the track.

Definitely gonna book 2 dates over there next year. Itching to get myself sub 8!