Clio Tuning Parts - What would you like to see?

fmp

Platinum Member
Hey guys

I kinda find it frustrating at times that there is such a limited range of parts available for our cars.

I know there is a small market compared to some marques, so manufacturers may over look us or put us down the list of developmenet.

So, what parts do you wish, or would you like to see available for the 197/200. And maybe if there is enough interest in certain things we can approach manufacturers and see if they will put something into production.

Lets keep it realistic, as a twin turbo v8 conversion will probably have limited appeal!!

For me, I would like a Roll Cage, very similar to the old 182 Safety Devices item, which allowed you to keep your interior in place and use the rear seats when the riagonal bar was removed.

Have you any pics of the cage for reference's.

Id like to see a simple bolt in sliding subframe kit allowing you to remove the Recaro's and base frames and bolt in new subframes side mounts and new bucket seat . Such things are available for Mini R53's etc and are very cheap also .

Other than that i cant really see what would be needed .

Dont think the problem is that there aint much to do. The problem is, theres not enough choice for the stuff there currently is.

Coilovers for example: KW, H&R and SPAX. Thats it.
Differentials: Quaife. Thats it.
Cams: Shricks and Catcams. Thats it.

Tbh, I'd just like to be able to lower the standard Recaros a couple of inches.

Problem is Renault has made the engine too good :/ and tamper proof and with it being na there's not much to do :/

Have you any pics of the cage for reference's.

Id like to see a simple bolt in sliding subframe kit allowing you to remove the Recaro's and base frames and bolt in new subframes side mounts and new bucket seat . Such things are available for Mini R53's etc and are very cheap also .

Other than that i cant really see what would be needed .

this is a big one for me, i sit way to high for my liking on these recaro's

this is a big one for me, i sit way to high for my liking on these recaro's

Swap for my standard ones. :thumbup:

You sit pretty low in the standard ones, I've never been in one with Recaros to compare though.

Having had recaro Pole positions in my old car i am really struggeling to adap to the recaros cs's that come as standard as nothing gives you the support like a proper bucket seat

Gripper LSD for the clio from KTec http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4312&appid=3

More expensive than Quaiffe but much better

In what way do you think they would be better .

have you driven a "plated" diff in a road car !

This diff is for a pure motorsport applications IMO

the quaife is a fit and forget item .

I swapped my quaife for a wavetrac and that was much better on track and road much smoother than the ATB set up on the quaife but i dont think they make a Clio 3 RS diff .

You are very right in your opinion that platted diffs show their advantage on the track. only think they are better because the downside of an ATB like the Quaiffe is that they may have issues when the wheel is lifted off the ground. E.g when running/ bouncing off a curb. Extreme I know

Most people that fit a diff do so because they like to track their car, hence my suggestion

coilovers youve got KW v1 and v3's aswell as clubsports, H&R, Bilstein, Spax, Ast's, Gaz now make have some out, believe Weitec have some out also. if your brave you could put cup racer suspension on lol koni have coilovers out

cages you've got oulton park, ktec half cage, ktec full cage, oreca full cage, omp full cage, sparco full cage, if your lucky enough to get hold of one then cup racer cage or if there not good enough for you then get one made up...

there's alot more out there than you think

coilovers youve got KW v1 and v3's aswell as clubsports, H&R, Bilstein, Spax, Ast's, Gaz now make have some out, believe Weitec have some out also. if your brave you could put cup racer suspension on lol koni have coilovers out

cages you've got oulton park, ktec half cage, ktec full cage, oreca full cage, omp full cage, sparco full cage, if your lucky enough to get hold of one then cup racer cage or if there not good enough for you then get one made up...

there's alot more out there than you think

never said there were not options with cages. Just cages that allow the interior to survive, and even better the rear seats to be used. Like the SD item for the 182 i mentioned.

And yes, lots of coilovers if you have a 197 or early suspension 200. I have the later setup, so have a small handful of options (basically KW Clubsports)

I was expecting lots of suggestions of stuff people would like that wasnt available, but i am guessing most people are satisfied!

so, for the third time, a roll cage that preserves the interior.

brake cooling ducts

some sort of affordable front splitter/undertray (that aerodynamically works)

I guess coming from tuning an Impreza, i am used to the literally endless supply of JDM parts that did all sorts of weird and wonderful things!

Do you not think its spending money where its not needed .

The cage i agree

Some decent fluid and braided lines will make the brakes easily good enough for most if not all applications including heavy track use without the high financial up keep of a more expensive system

as for the under tray there are many cars out there without these which handle really well and with a clio on Clubsports R888's and a few engine mods lapping 5 seconds faster around cardwell than a standard clio one has to ask is anything else really needed .

I come from a back ground of £20k+ turbo cars and tunning them to race spec for road use so am not shy to modify but one has to ask is it all really worth it .

As many have been made to have egg on their face after shedding weight adding bit tunning etc to show up to a track day and be no faster than a standard car .

Food for thought

* for the first time :wink:

cheers for your view on it.

luckily i am in the same boat as you. spent £££££ on cars, built a clio a few years ago for Time Attack, been doing track days for the last 12 years etc.

So I am lucky enough to have some knowledge in a few things (but no expert by any means).

And for me its more about buying stuff that i like/want/feel will improve the car.

I have done plenty of 'supercar slaying' in my time, but wouldnt feel deflated if a standard car of the same type came past me. As i know that driving skill plays a major part. Hence why we get the opportunity to do 'supercar slaying', as generally the driver in the exotic machinery either doesnt have the skill or doesnt want to drive at such a high pace.

hence why they are track days, not race days. there are no trophies or prize money at the end of it (as you well know). But i digress.

Maybe i just woke up this morning feeling the range of tuning products for our cars isnt as great as it could be, and wondered if anyone else felt there was a hole in the market. Its seems that pretty much most needs are catered for. Which is a good thing.

Not a tuning part as such but i'd have thought i could have bought some tinted indicators from somewere, a few years ago you could not move for the things for most vehicles.

I've fitted carbon bullets to my cup so now i have a white light in the middle of my door strip, a tinted lens here would solve that.

These same units seem to be fitted to a few renaults so i'd have thought there would be a market for them.

spoiler_skirt007.jpg

For me, its the price of the the parts. Everything for the clio feels 25% more expensive than other cars in its class.