Clio RS: How tough is it?

Hey,

Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm just asking for some experiences here.

I enjoy driving the Clio, I want to take it out on a drive everyday. But every time I return from a spirited drive I'm concerned about the fact if I haven't "hurt" the clio too much.

I know my driving is ok because I drive yearly about 40k - 60k miles a year for my work and none of my company cars had any failures, although I use them hard sometimes. These were peugeot 307 and BMW 1.

But somehow I cannot help the fact that I somehow have the impression the Clio is much more vulnerable. Don't know why ... Because It revs so high? Because the gearbox feels vulnerable? Because it's french?

On the other hand I tell my self it's made for track use, so it should be able to cope with the pirited drives on the Belgian B-roads too, I guess...

Anyway, what are your experiences? Are there any parts that need extra attention? What parts are vulnerable?

I put this thread in the "engine/gearbox" section, because imo it's vulnerability is situated in that area.

Had mine since late may 10 and in that time I have just about covered 44,000 miles, she gets driven hard and fast very very often as that was why she was made. I have made regular journeys if 300 plus miles and she runs sweet, after an hour our so she runs better.

The only problem I have encountered is the leaking rocker which was fixed under warranty.

In terms of serviceable items I am in my 4th set of fronts, 2nd set off rears. Just about to replace my rear brake pads for the first time and gonna put my 3rd set if pads in the front, although I replaced the first pair after only 15k with a set if half worn ebc red stuff, so going well I think.

Overall I'm really impressed with the durability if the car. The recaros are still ok and only showing very slight wear on three drivers bolster, not really noticably unless you look for it.

The only downside its the amount of stone chips I have, the paint is very thin so it doesn't take much to chip it. The front black trim its looking battered too but that will be replaced at some point with a nice carbon one.

Using it in towns, motorways and b roads I find it the perfect car and loves the high miles.

Last edited:
The engine seems to react well to having a few miles on it, past 10k miles they feel completely different from new.

The interior is pretty crap particularly the recaros and wheel, both of which are showing wear at just under 20k miles. The gearbox isn't really up to scratch either, I'm relatively sympathetic but there's no helping that when it's cold it doesnt want to go into gear and feels a touch crunchy. Once warm it's fine though.

As most reviews will say it punches far above it's price range and power, on track it will keep up with far more expensive machinery and even embarrass quite a few of them too (Audi RS4s for example dont stand a chance).

I see it as a drivers car and not necessarily an owners car, you just have to live with the negatives and take ever opportunity to enjoy the good bits.

Id say the vulnerable part of the Clio is the gearbox's chocolate syncromesh design. From talking to various mechanics and reading around these WILL fail, its just a matter of how soon. And i imagine its short, shark gear changes that kill it sooner rather than later.

Hey,

Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm just asking for some experiences here.

I enjoy driving the Clio, I want to take it out on a drive everyday. But every time I return from a spirited drive I'm concerned about the fact if I haven't "hurt" the clio too much.

I know my driving is ok because I drive yearly about 40k - 60k miles a year for my work and none of my company cars had any failures, although I use them hard sometimes. These were peugeot 307 and BMW 1.

But somehow I cannot help the fact that I somehow have the impression the Clio is much more vulnerable. Don't know why ... Because It revs so high? Because the gearbox feels vulnerable? Because it's french?

On the other hand I tell my self it's made for track use, so it should be able to cope with the pirited drives on the Belgian B-roads too, I guess...

Anyway, what are your experiences? Are there any parts that need extra attention? What parts are vulnerable?

I put this thread in the "engine/gearbox" section, because imo it's vulnerability is situated in that area.

Hi Mathieu,

Don't want to scare you but I've recently had my engine replaced:
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17413

You might also look at Stuieplk's thread:
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17144

This latter happened only three days after my misfortune...

Regards

Wim

Last edited:
No worse than any other car reliability-wise. I've seen LOTS of BMW and VAG failures through work recently, 'box and engine explosion/implosion.

If you look after her, keep an eye on the fluids and let her warm up before you get too crazy then you'll be fine. They weren't built for grannies.

Of course, there will always be the odd one that goes pop prematurely, that's just how it is with mass-produced cars.

Hi Mathieu,

Don't want to scare you but I've recently had my engine replaced:
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17413

You might also look at Stuieplk's thread:
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17144

This latter happened only three days after my misfortune...

Regards

Wim

Hey,

I suppose that was after your remap? Were there no difficulties then with your remap and the warranty?

Mine has been slightly remapped and I'm wondering if Renault would refuse to replace the engine then ...

As most people have already said, the Clios are just as reliable as any other car. The old stories of "its French, its gonna break" are just old stories.

Again as said above. The weakest point is the gearbox and a lot have failed due to fitting them with chocolate synchros.

We've had our 200 for 2 years (22,000 miles) completed numerous trackdays, numerous roadtrips on Scotlands roughest roads and shes just smiled and taken everything shes been given (The Clio that is).

As most people have already said, the Clios are just as reliable as any other car. The old stories of "its French, its gonna break" are just old stories.

Again as said above. The weakest point is the gearbox and a lot have failed due to fitting them with chocolate synchros.

We've had our 200 for 2 years (22,000 miles) completed numerous trackdays, numerous roadtrips on Scotlands roughest roads and shes just smiled and taken everything shes been given (The Clio that is).

mental picture :smiley:

Hey,

I suppose that was after your remap? Were there no difficulties then with your remap and the warranty?

My Clio dates back from June 2009 so more than two years old...

Mine has been slightly remapped and I'm wondering if Renault would refuse to replace the engine then ...

Where did you have your remap done M.?

In theory, a remap will go unnoticed at the dealer's. Unless, I've heard 'bout some mappers that put their logo in the software and block any access to the ECU with a password...

Last edited:
In theory, a remap will go unnoticed at the dealer's. Unless, I've heard 'bout some mappers that put their logo in the software and block any access to the ECU with a password...

My car has been remapped by Apecbelgium.

There are ECU's where the dealers can still see that the software has been modified, for instance BMW's.

My engine and fuel pump have both been replaced under warranty the fuel pump had only had bout 15 k and the engine had only about 20k the engines failing arnt quite as uncommon as you would thing but I was on cruise control doing 70 mph so wasn't because I was pushing it, the con rod decided it didn't want to be in the engine anymore .

My car is on 43k brought it on 30k last 13000 miles I've drove it hard!
Had to change front springs due to one being cracked from a pot hole, that's only thing that's gone wrong.