Clio 200 deal advice please

Sorry, I would get a loan for a 3 year old 197 not a brand fire new 200, as it's £7000 cheaper and not worth the difference for a track toy ( which is what mine will be used for )

Thats a fair comment,

However all may not be as it seems.

If you keep a 3 year old car for 2 years you may have to buy;

tyres £500 per set
brakes £500 all round if you fit em yourself (or ask Foxspeed to do it for you)
Cambelt service at £500-£1000
MOTs

And it will STILL loose money.

If I stick the 6k per year limit (which is slightly higher than my average for the last few cars I have had when we have had 2 cars in the household) I should be able to get away with no other payments other than the deposit and the monthly payment. So £6600 for 2 years ownership and maybe less if I can flog it for more than the £9500 GFV.

Could you really run a 197 for significantly less?

When I crunched the numbers between my 182 Trophy and a new 200 it worked out at approx £30 more per month for a brand new car over a 5 year old one.

lol i just wanna say . . . . .. i admit if you want to buy a car on finance its great. PCP, HP or whatever

shall we agree to disagree?

Couldn't agree more Woody. :thumbup: Surely there are other websites better suited to intellectualising the pro's and con's of finance.

Try and get 4.5% or lower, some of the guys have managed to get 3.5%.

Dont put any more than a 20% deposit down. But a slightly higher deposit than £1k can help reduce payments if you can afford it.

You can negotiate the GFV. They can adjust it slightly, increasing reduces repayments but does mean a higher balloon payment if you choose to purchase outright.

My Gordini only costs me £260 per month on a 3 year deal. The retail on the car was £20,160 before discount. Work the deal as much as you can.

Apart from that, if you reach a deal that you are happy with. And the repayments are in your budget, then thats all that matters.

wtf...this thing was 7 pages long when I left work tonight.

Cheers for that Deako :smile:

Is there something up with this forum as quite a few things appear to have been 'wound back' when I've looked again. (including some posts on maz's car thread).

there you go adamm mate sorry about that.

ppl just started arguing about rubbish so i locked it.

People werent arguing about rubbish. There were some very misinformed people giving information incorrectly about PCP deals. Other people were correcting them.

very true deako. seemed to get a bit out of hand with gouldy, mike roberts and PB200 so i just locked it. dont want any1 to get banned. we have a good group of people and adamm just needed advice lol

What do you feel I did wrong?

Forgive me, but Adamm is about to make a very big commitment which is going to be costing him a fair amount of money. When people are posting something that is factually wrong that could affect Adamm, I think it is important to correct it. If he'd been asking which was the fittest one out of The Saturdays (clearly Frankie) then it just becomes a matter of opinion with no importance.

With something so important, people can't just sling in random myths and claim they are fact, ultimately they could be very damaging if someone were to believe them. It really bothers me when I see people saying stuff like "Yeah, get some French font plates made up, they're cool and I haven't been pulled"... these people don't stick their hands up, admit it was bad advice and offer to pay the fines when some fool believes what they've read and thinks they can get away with it. In the bigger picture the forum doesn't want to be seen as a place where the information contained in it can't be trusted as fact, so we either self regulate as a collective or let the Mods do it.

If we're talking about objective stuff that doesn't matter, let people bang on about their opinion till the cows come home, it doesn't matter. When it comes to money/legal/fact/stuff that matters, scattergunning rubbish should be discouraged.

Last edited:
I must say, I've learnt a lot in this thread. Still not my cup of tea though, personally I couldn't pay that much for that long and walk away with nothing at the end of it.

The GFV (Final Payment) on my Gordini is £7378.34 (iirc). Pretty low. I hope that its worth more than that in 3 years being a limited run. As it would be nice to get enough out of a private sale to pay for another deposit on whatever will be the next fun car (if we choose not to buy it).

I got a bit skanked on the finance I took out on my 200 I recently bought.

Went to sign the the forms and the interest was 17.8% APR, although I only financed £4700. RCI do take the piss with the set up fees (£150) and option to purchase fee (£195 I think)
Has anyone got any tips for me on how to get shot of the finance deal and get it funded at a lower rate? Or will I get skanked some more from Renault finance?

Oh and my payments are £159 for 36 months.

Holy mother of crap.

Speak to your bank about a loan secured on the car (i.e. low APR), if you go in and explain face to face, they'll be able to help I'm sure.

I'd also be writing a complaint to Renault, although that'll most likely come to nothing, it'll at least highlight the dealer's sneaky games.

Unless of course you have a crap credit rating, that may have been the best they could do.