Clio 197 from Poland, update 14/04/12 roll cage

As I was writing in other post, I'm trying to build a track car from my Clio,

And I hope you will help me and give me some advices what to do:

first of all few photos:
cliotor.jpg

cliotor2.jpg

I have already done:

Milltek with removing the cat
New brakes ( but Im not happy about them ( new disc + DS performance)
Brake hoses
Defi( wat. temp. oil temp. oil press.) I think it is important while using the car on track

And now what I would like to do and don't really know what to do :smile::

ROLL CAGE
I'm doing it in february, custom here in Poland, but simillar to this one on k-tec
picture_688.jpg

SUSPENSION
, now I have Eibach spring with this cup package, but it's not good on track, so I am thinking about something else

- H&R
- KW V3
- AST

And what should i choose? H&R very good price, KW V3 not good price I'm nto sure about quality, AST, good quality, top mounts, but really huge price.

What should I choose? does anyone have H&R, KW, or AST?

Really I'm thinking about two, H&R and AST, and the reason is cash, is it worth paying 1000 more for AST with Top Mounts?

BRAKES
in clio cup ( this racing cup) they have normal disc with pagid brake pads, and they told me that it is good enough, so is it worth bying this 330mm brakes?
Or you have some good solution? for example some good disc with pagid?

INTAKE

I'm thinking about puting in V6 airbox, or making some custom airbox with removing a foog lights.
I saw some projects here, and what you thing? what is the best idea?
I think that V6 airbox is quite too expensive

QUIFE?
what you think abut that? is it better with it on track or it is good just to rally cars?
Maybe when I am going on slicks, it's not necessary to have Quife?

Sory for my english but for bit of time I wasn't using it
At the end I am puting here the photo of my firiend's cup clio

img3855t.jpg

on Poznan Race Track
My time is : 1.58.401
Cup time: 1.49.700

Last edited:
Your car reminds me of:

45.jpg

If you want the best for the track, get AST just because of the top mounts.

I have KW V3 in my Clio and they're great, but i would like to have the top mounts.

Looks like a good project Zadir, looking forward to seeing things develop.

What type of Brake Fluid are you using? I use the standard pads and discs on track and don't really have any problem with them, using HEL Hoses and Millers Oils Race Fluid 300+. A lot of people like the Ferodo DS2500 pads or the Carbone Lorraine pads. Ferodo make a few different compounds, the DS3000 are meant to be superb on track but aren't recomended for road use.

I've got the V6 setup here waiting to go on, have a look for Litchy and Simoxmino as they are both already using this setup and have put some good photos and reports up about it. Fernandez is currently developing an R3 Airbox, but his will be a lot cheaper then what's currently available, so it might be worth sending him a message or looking for his thread about it. :smile:

A few people have the Quaiffe fitted and they all seem to say good things about it.

What tyres are you using?

SUSPENSION
As I said above, I'd opt for the KW Clubsports. Think they are specifically designed with the racetrack in mind. Here's the info on 'em:

"The KW Clubsport Coilover Kit is designed for high performance road & race track use. Each unit has individually adjustable compression and rebound damping levels, and comes with high performance linear racing springs. All units are fully height adjustable and come with stainless steel strut housing. KW Clubsport guarantees excellent handling, superb agility and fantastic lap times.

This kit price also includes superb quality KW Adjustable Top Mounts, which allow for Camber & Castor adjustment. These are made of high tensile aluminium alloy, and have a unique sealing system which prevents water and dirt getting into the bearings."

BRAKES
I currently run standard discs and pads with stainless braided lines and ungraded brake fluid (Motul RBF600) and yes they are very good I feel that they could be improved upon greatly. On Friday I'll be ordering the 330mm 2 piece discs from K-tech with DS3000 pads front and rear.

INTAKE

As Willis has said, a few of the guys have installed the V6 setup on their Clios and had good results. The problem is now though, they no longer make them so finding all the stuff to fit could be a problem.

Fernandez is developing an R3-like airbox for the Clios (Amongst many other awesome goodies) so it might be prudent to wait until one of these are tested.

QUIFE?
This another one of those mods that people have fitted and had nothing but good words to say about them. Expensive to install/buy but will be/is ideal for the track.

Is your friends car a proper Clio racer? If so, you'll struggle to match his laptimes. Even with the list of planned mods.

Can't add any more to what Noddie says, all spot on and thanks for the mention.

R3 Airbox is on its way..... :thumbup:

Today I get the prices,

I can get KW Clubsport in the same price as AST with top mounts
But I can get also, H&R for half of that

I'm using Motul RBF 600

In Poland we have only one race track it's Poznan Race Track
tor-plan.gif

What's the price of this Ohlins?

For track use the only real mod you want is the quaife ATB. In the wet you'll be putting power down 30 foot before anyone else. At the end of a long straight it can equate to quite an advantage.

I've never done a dry trackday since fitting my quaife, such is England, and I don't feel you can really benefit from it on the road without being dangerous. So I can't comment on dry performance...

winter time is the best time to do something with the car, so I decided what i would like tro do with my.

Few days ago I took away all plastics, carpets, and other stuff from the bag of the car.
As well, seat belts, airbags etc.

7fe9add5f8aff6fcgen.jpg

0657b6789fea3e5cmed.jpg
aa394bace00fb794med.jpg
c0dca8f867cf2e7dmed.jpg

In March I am going to deliver car to the company which builds and service few clio cups in racing.

They will built in a full roll cage, then we will do few things with engine ( V6 airbox, inlets) and probably AST suspension.
All depends on how much money I will have to spend on it.

Now I have also few things to sell:
seat belts, back seats, recaros with airbags, stering wheell with airbag, passenger airbag, and all plastics things

Don't have any idea, I think that it's about 50-60 kg.
I realised that car is really faster, and more more louder :smiley:

probably, I forget about back seats which I took out on a day when i bought a car :smile:
When thr will be a rooll cage in the car I will check the weight