CLIO 197 CUP - Project TF

My money would be on coil pack(s)

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
Cheers, I will look at getting them changed over and some fresh plugs too.

Any recommendations for coil packs?

Is it worth running one of these? Or would people not bother?

Cheers, I will look at getting them changed over and some fresh plugs too.

Any recommendations for coil packs?

Is it worth running one of these? Or would people not bother?

I ran one of those when one of the threads was failing. It basically uses the good to threads to hold in and loose ones. Still got it, you can have it if you want. I’ve since retapped mine and use studs instead.

• Love
It's the bottom 2 codes i'd be focussing on.

Both myself and my trackbaguette comrade Ben have replaced throttle body previously, as we've had issues where the car would just shut off. Turn it off and on and it would be fine again.

Interesting.

Daft question time. When you're saying the car would shut off. Is this completely or is it just putting the car into limp mode and cutting power?

As yesterday I was experiencing the latter.

It did both on a trackday at Blyton one time, where it wouldn't do more than 20mph, and then on the way home it cut out entirely.
There were no codes - so unfortunately it's a parts cannon to fix. Luckily for me it was the throttle body, which coincidentally was the first thing I replaced.

Just to update on issues. Changed plugs and coil packs and car feels better than it ever has…. However during a spirited test drive in went into limp mode again.

Good news! Only one code this time. F45C27F4-87A4-4FCD-B138-C5482CCCB1A3.jpeg

Slightly miffed that coils and plus didn’t work as a wonder cure but hey ho. Worse things happen at sea.

On a bright note. They engine bay does look slightly jazzier with the new coil packs.

0129A980-5EB9-4F52-96ED-AE8F82F7A27D.jpeg
Thanks to @R20BTG for the coil pack brace again!

Might do some gentrification of the engine bay and clean it up a bit as an easy project over the next couple of weekends whilst f1 is off.

Will do a Cadwell report properly later I promise!

Reyt then, Cadwell Park 31/07/2024.

I left Cadwell in June feeling frustrated with myself and the car. Feeling like I have failed the car in a way. Sure I had a good day and enjoyed my time on track as I always do unless there's outside factors effecting enjoyment (Such as a migrane part way through the day that happened at Cadwell in March.). But I was left thinking I've wasted so much money on the car to not have the confidence to drive it properly; that in tandem with the car not really being fun on the road anymore left me thinking if it was time to sell up and start again on an R26 or something that would be more road based.

Well the good news is I've seen the light and stop talking nonsense and to quote Jordan Belfort the clio is currently saying "I'm not F*cking Leaving" whilst it is sat in the garage.

Moving on from the trials and tribulations of Callum Tart; the Cadwell Trackday:

As mentioned in a previous post I wasn't flying solo on this day and was joined by friend Bean in his Cammed 200, Kris in his 182 and Tom in his Mk7 fiesta with a hybrid turbo. There were also a few other Mk3's there too, a mk4 as well. I think there was 15 clios in total, Like a mini cliosport fest.

First session came and went and weren't anything to note until I followed Kris out in his 182. I've never done a trackday with Kris before but he is what I'd call a bit of a vetran of cars and trackdays; as he has been doing them for almost 15 years at this point. I decided that it was my mission to try and keep with him as much as I could. Throwing out my nerves and sending it. Much to my amazement it worked. I was driving faster than I ever had before and managed to keep with him and even pass him! Which was great until the plastic part of my accelerator pedal fell off going into Park. So i decided to call it a session and returned to the pits.

Repaired the clio and headed out with my new found balls and found myself flying; even being asked by a guy in a meglio if my car was supercharged! As he couldn't believe I was keeping up with him... we will take that.

The afternoon came and went with the smile on my face growing as I gained my confidence in the car. With the only thing that came past on me on pace being some well sorted E36s, a 200 Race car and a GT4RS

I also went as a passenger for a session in Kris' 182 and realized 2 things. I am terrible passenger on track and that the mk2s are comnpletely different to mk3s. I think I might need one in my life at some point...

All in all I am extremely happy from the day and still a week on I am on high from it. Despite the car having a French moment during the last session of the day as has been detailed above

Things needed following this day:
- seat time
- tuition
- stop worrying

I really want to go back to Cadwell but I am currently feeling drawn towards Donington another track that I love but a track I always have bad luck at: span into gravel x 2, engine went pop and stuck fuel door on the clio when it went for a collecting cars meet. So we shall see.

Here are some photos of the day.

kct.jpg
Mine and Kris' Baguettes

mk7st.jpg
Tom;s MK7 FiST with my Harry's new to him GT4 (didn't go out on track as it needs PPF apparently)

sendy.jpg
211.jpg33332.jpg3333333.jpg

Had a bit of a fun Friday night (yes I need to get out more) changing the camshaft position sensor over on the clio this evening.

9334A90B-177C-489B-B562-D051425E517D.jpeg

Relatively straight forward job once I decided that I don’t have the dexterity to do it with the intake manifold in place like some threads suggest.

679D2E82-4EC9-4683-A36A-30151504C004.jpeg

New sensor in situ installed.

Test driven the car through Mexico and it’s not thrown a code or gone into limp mode…. So it might be fixed (he says praying).

Off to a dyno day tomorrow morning at a garage called JWS Motorworks in Chesterfield. May take the clio down for a longer test drive if I can be arsed. If not I’ll be in the A Class with A/C and 6 music.

Car didn’t move today as I got in it and it had a check injection light. Spent the afternoon tinkering on it and got it running a lot smoother but the car just decided to keep throwing check injection on the dash. But with no error codes when scanning the ecu with a code reader.

Getting slightly annoyed now but hey ho cars are pain.

In other news the dyno was interesting and have a feeling an E92 or F87 may appear in my garage at some point in the future.

Reactions: Beany
Before I look at getting a used throttle body on this, is there such a thing as a throttle body upgrade on these that isn't ITB's?