CLIO 197 CUP - Project TF

I'm currently looking for a new set of tires and would give an arm and a leg for a set of AD08R in 215/40 R18 even if they're five or six years old. It's really difficult to find something proper in that size. They only other road approved semis in that size here are 595 Pro but I'm not convinced about them. I'm looking at Cup 2 but they're 220,- € a piece in that size which is outright theft.

Looks are one thing but we had some quite bad experiences over here with the RS-R and RS-Pro.

After a trackday with admittedly old ones (Clio).
Reifenschaden1.jpg

After about 3.000km on some mountain roads (Twingo).
MVIMG_20230615_192637.jpg

After slightly over 100 laps at Hockenheim (Clio).
2023-06-29 17.18.00.jpg

That's why I'm a bit sceptical about them.

Last edited:
In the first case the damper went, too. The question is if it did go first and caused the tire problem or if the tire problem caused the damper one?:think:

Yep. I’ve had the same horizontal cracking on them before, but no failure per your first pic.
RSR tend to crack in batches :smile: I have not seen cracked RS PRO yet, but those pics Marsch posted are not confidence inspiring. I have quite common 215 45 R17 and yet there is almost nothing to choose from in this category (AD08R, not R888R etc) that is available in Europe :worried:
Been looking towards Cup2, but from reviews they are grippy but floaty in a traditional Michelin way (soft sidewalls, therefore forces supported more by tire pressure than construction of the tire, therefore bigger heat and load sensitivity...no likey :worried: )

I’ve said it many times before in other threads…. But unfortunately a compromise needs to be accepted somewhere.

The perfect tyre does not exist.

Reactions: Sean197
They were part used already with about 3 to 4 mm of tread left. One set I picked up for £200.

We probably destroyed them more quickly by driving with pressures too low and on tracks that eat tyres - it is all in my thread somewhere.

But, my view is they are really sticky tyres but just wear too quickly to give value for money (they are about £780 brand new for a set?). If they were the same price point of Accelera tyres then there would not be an issue.

Others may have a different opinion to me?

Yeah MRFs seem to be the best value/grip ratio semi.

Direzzas are defo quicker but they cost more and also last less. So end up being a decent chunk more to own.

Used cup slicks are the king of value/grip ratio though.