Check your Wheel Bolts if you have 20mm Spacers.

Hi Chaps.

I thought this might help save someone else the hassle and danger I have just gone through.

I fitted some H&R 20mm spacers and read on the Interweb what bolts to fit. Basically 20mm longer. Makes sence after all.

I have done quite a few miles on them and now three track days. The last being Brands Hatch yesterday.

My OS front wheel almost came off!! The bolts have only 4 threads holding the wheels on!! They pulled through and stripped the hubs. I managed to get into the pits when the wheel came loose and when i got out three of the bolts were on the floor. It was only the fact the locking wheel bolt was much longer that the wheel stayed on.

I was very lucky it wasn't more serious.

Other than that though i'm loving the car.

Cheers.

****, just bought mine! Surprised they did that much damage though. It's hardly like they're big spacers, or that we're the only people at it.

Hi Chaps.

I thought this might help save someone else the hassle and danger I have just gone through.

I fitted some H&R 20mm spacers and read on the Interweb what bolts to fit. Basically 20mm longer. Makes sence after all.

I have done quite a few miles on them and now three track days. The last being Brands Hatch yesterday.

My OS front wheel almost came off!! The bolts have only 4 threads holding the wheels on!! They pulled through and stripped the hubs. I managed to get into the pits when the wheel came loose and when i got out three of the bolts were on the floor. It was only the fact the locking wheel bolt was much longer that the wheel stayed on.

I was very lucky it wasn't more serious.

Other than that though i'm loving the car.

Cheers.

so if the studs have pulled through and stripped the threads i can't see what its got to do with the spacers? sounds like someone may have over tightened the bolts to me,plus it would be hard to over tighten a locking nut as the locking keys are never the best fit which is why this one may have survived

yes the bolts only hold on roughly 4/5 threads but so do the originals

what should the wheels be torqued up to out of interest?

which car were you in at Brands?

I saw a few running spacers.

Sounds like you got lucky! could of been a disaster.

The school of thought would be that the longer the bolt the greater the forces on the thread, which seems like a simple principle. BUT if the wheel is bolted to the hub/spacer correctly at the right torque then there's no movement/fulcrum to act on it. With all respect to the OP it does seem a little like over/under torqued nuts would be the more likely culprit.

I'm sure someone more intelligent than me will be along soon enough to prove me wrong though :smiley:. In fairness I would take my spacers off before a track day either way.

Last edited:
Wheel nuts & spacers

I'm sticking with the spacers I just wanted to warn others of the thread issue. I torque them to about 110nm. The reason the locking bolt held is when I got them they were far to long. I cut them but left them longer than the other 4 bolts by about 4-5 mm.

I was in a blue 197 H@R lowering springs with AO48 tyres. The cornering forces are high with the lower centre of gravity and the wider track plus very good rubber. The lesson for me is to get another 4-5mm of thread on the next set of bolts I get.

so if the studs have pulled through and stripped the threads i can't see what its got to do with the spacers? sounds like someone may have over tightened the bolts to me,plus it would be hard to over tighten a locking nut as the locking keys are never the best fit which is why this one may have survived

yes the bolts only hold on roughly 4/5 threads but so do the originals

what should the wheels be torqued up to out of interest?

Did you not put the spacers on the back of the wheel and poke the bolts through to see how much you had sticking out?

had 20mm spacers on mine for nearly 5 years. there the ktec ones. think there made by H&R.

i have extened wheel nuts.

not probs at all!!

I was advised by AmD to never run spacers at all, they mess with geometry and allow extra leverage on the hub/bearings/suspension to wear them out.

As for this case, are you a heavy rumble strip user?

I take the odd rumble strip but not major..

The fix will be simple. Just get longer bolts.

I was advised by AmD to never run spacers at all, they mess with geometry and allow extra leverage on the hub/bearings/suspension to wear them out.

As for this case, are you a heavy rumble strip user?

I though the H&R spacers came with other bolts. They bolted to the hub then the wheel bolted to the spacer. Thats the way mine where when i got them, maybe changed now though as it was 6 years ago.

Also the wheel torque for the 197/200 is 140nm :wink:

Did you not put the spacers on the back of the wheel and poke the bolts through to see how much you had sticking out?

also if you get under the rear of the car you can see how much the bolt/stud is poking through the hub/threaded hole when tight,mine stick through by a thread or 2 so have the maximium hold

140nm's seems tight,i did mine to 120nm's and touch wood all is well

I though the H&R spacers came with other bolts. They bolted to the hub then the wheel bolted to the spacer. Thats the way mine where when i got them, maybe changed now though as it was 6 years ago.

Also the wheel torque for the 197/200 is 140nm :wink:

The 25mm DRA system ones are mate, the 20mm ones need extended bolts

i brought some spacers for the clio h and r ones

opened the box and then decided not to fit them

they bolted to the hub and then you bolted to them to the wheel ?

Problem being you cant check the spacer is tight without talking wheel of on track days and such like .

id love it wider as even on 8j it looks narrow . But running spacers is something i would only consider when running studs nut conversion