Check ESP / Check ABS

Went out to the car this morning.

Left the car to warm up for a bit. Went to pull away and the check esp / abs warning lights came up on the dash.

The car will not move at all. Turned the car off and on, still the fault came up and no movement...

I presume this could be down to the cold? Although saying that never had a problem with any other car. Even when we had that snow in 2010 and i had a 53 plate 1.2 polo :001_rolleyes:

As the car is still under warranty. Should I call the dealer / RUK? Or call the AA / RAC

Exact same as mine this morning!!! Its the rear right brake thats jammed on because it's so damn cold haha. It's the second time it's happened, but last time the light didn't come on and after giving it welly I managed to free it... No ideas this time

Last edited:
Exact same as mine this morning!!! Its the rear right brake thats jammed on because it's so damn cold haha. It's the second time it's happened, but last time the light didn't come on and after giving it welly I managed to free it... No ideas this time

Its strange. Surely they test these things before they put the car into the manufacturing stage ha ha.

My dad has just driven off, in his 1999 ford fiesta with no problems at all!

Yup. Feels like the handbrake is on (Checked many times just to make sure its off ha ha)

I think thats a fault you'll need to get looked at, I believe the ABS system locks on for certain faults.

How you been a bit forceful to see if its just the cold?

I think thats a fault you'll need to get looked at, I believe the ABS system locks on for certain faults.

How you been a bit forceful to see if its just the cold?

It is the cold, last time I was forceful and it freed eventually, but this time the light is on and it just seizes back up again - it is a little more free than when I first got in the car, but the car just skids down the road because the one wheel is locked

Just went out the check the car. Can move the car a tad now. But all I can hear is grinding.

On reverse its even worse.

Still coming up with the fault lights.

Just went out the check the car. Can move the car a tad now. But all I can hear is grinding.

On reverse its even worse.

Still coming up with the fault lights.

The grinding is probably the tyre on the Tarmac haha, got a nice black line on the road next to my house now- good job I need to replace the rear tyres!... Hopefully the exhaust will help warm it up, I did try putting a little bit of lukewarm water on it, but the trouble is its likely to refreeze if I leave it

**EDIT
it is nearly free now, left the car on for 15 mins, will try and be forceful in a min and it should be ok. No idea about the lights, they may go off when it's free and I turn the car off

Last edited:
The grinding is probably the tyre on the Tarmac haha, got a nice black line on the road next to my house now- good job I need to replace the rear tyres!... Hopefully the exhaust will help warm it up, I did try putting a little bit of lukewarm water on it, but the trouble is its likely to refreeze if I leave it

I know all cars have there faults but this is quite funny!

"Sorry boss, I cant get to my education meeting this morning. The brakes have frozen on my car"

Although I should get my eyes checked im sure I see other cars driving about around my area...:rofl: Maybe my car only had the cold weather last night...

I know all cars have there faults but this is quite funny!

"Sorry boss, I cant get to my education meeting this morning. The brakes have frozen on my car"

Although I should get my eyes checked im sure I see other cars driving about around my area...:rofl: Maybe my car only had the cold weather last night...

I personally think someone in our area has a vendetta against our cars- both with the same fault within a mile of each other :rofl:

I will service them Saturday morning and grease them up, just a massive pain!! Make sure when it frees up to leave the handbrake off and just leave it in gear to save it locking up again. Or just do one notch on the handbrake

**EDIT

It's fine now, lights switched off when I started driving. Try some lukewarm water and rock the car backwards and forwards. Keep pumping the handbrake as well, just not too hard!

Last edited:
I personally think someone in our area has a vendetta against our cars- both with the same fault within a mile of each other :rofl:

I will service them Saturday morning and grease them up, just a massive pain!! Make sure when it frees up to leave the handbrake off and just leave it in gear to save it locking up again. Or just do one notch on the handbrake

Bloody car.

It has some other faults on the car anyway. So il get it to the dealer, they can sort it as well as the other bits.

Now, how to get to work :thumbdown:

**EDIT

It's fine now, lights switched off when I started driving. Try some lukewarm water and rock the car backwards and forwards. Keep pumping the handbrake as well, just not too hard!

Il go try it now...

Can move the car now. But still have the warning lights up

It will have logged an esp error as the front wheels were moving and the rears weren't, it confuses the poor little thing. It's like when you get your car on the rollers

Can move the car now. But still have the warning lights up

They will stay on if youre only moving it a few yards and theres still friction. When its pretty much free drive it down the road and push the brakes hard, pull the handbrake a tad as well to try and get a bit of heat in the rear brake. That 'should' get rid of the lights, if not try switching it off. But as I said mine just dissapeared

Your ABS light will have stayed on because the sensor see's the trigger wheel has stopped because the wheel is not going around.

Not sure how this renault system works but on most cars, once the ignition is turned off, the next time your ignition is turned on, if the wheel is now free should turn off the light.

If the light is still on you'll have to have the fault cleared via obd port.