Check abs/check ESP lights on

Evening all,

I own a Clio 197 F1 2006.

Driving home this evening nice chilled drive, around 30 miles I get 2 mins from my house and the car dies and comes to a halt.
with the error message, check brakes /ESP and won't start at all.

Had the AA out to get recovered home, he scanned and had a look over but couldn't see anything.

The car won't start at all, so not sure where to start.

Any Pointers??

Much appreciated .

If the battery is disconnected then that message comes up so your battery has went flat but most likely your alternator might not be charging it and that's why its flat. When the car moves and picks up the signals from the abs sensors it will go away but don't just put a new battery in you need to check the alternator is charging or you will just destroy a new battery.

Thanks for the reply,

I checked the output of the battery and it was 12.3 from memory? and the AA guy hooked up the jump pack up and still nothing.

The immobile light is on also?

We did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery left off and re attached but still unable to see any codes.

it just seems strange for it to die when I was driving?

Would connecting jump leads to my Van and trying to start like that will make any difference?

12.3 is a bad battery and a battery can show voltage and not crank a car also connecting jump leads to a bad battery can zap all the power your trying to give to the car. Is the battery loose or what work has been done lately.

Ah brilliant thanks!

is there any way of checking the alternator before rushing off to get a new battery?

It had a mot 4 weeks ago, went through fine!

Well all I know is the car stopped while you were driving, I guess if you stopped somewhere and turn the car off and on again and it would not start then I would pick battery you will need a multimeter the battery may show 12.3 just after a boost but give it an hour or two and it could have dropped to less than 10Volts showing how bad the battery is, a good battery should sit around 12.96Volts and if the car is running you should see 13 -14.5 volts that shows the alternator is doing it's job but if the battery has been dying the alt might have been doing all the work and the risk of burning it out is high. The red terminal has fuses inside it make sure they are OK but an auto spark guy might need to do some basic checks you could jump start it with your old battery completely disconnected if the car still acts the same it's more than the battery as it will be using the battery at the other end of the jump cables. What work was needed for the MOT anyway.

Cheers, I have a multi meter ill check Saturday when I go back up to where iv left the car - haven't had any problems before this, the mot only required a new bulb and a track rod arm that's it!

would a dead battery cause the check ESP / check brake light on though?