Change oil before or after trackday?

stuey

Gold Member
Hi, I am planning on doing a trackday next month in my 200. It is now a year old, and has done 3000 miles. I'm not sure if I should change the oil/filter after the day, or beforehand. Any good advice welcomed :smile:

I'd definately recommend doing one afterwards. We done our first trackday (Knockhill) when the 200 had about 3500 miles. The oil before it was clean, however afterwards it was mingin.

In the past ive always done it before, as its a point where the car/engine is going to be under plenty of load, so ensure everything is fresh.

Also check tyre pressures, bleed brakes and top fluid up if need be :smile:

I have done several track days in my old Golf 16v, and was changing the oil after every 2. I normally reset my pressures straight after the first run, then check them again after the next couple to get them set right.
I think I will do it before so I'm rid of all the running in oil, then see how I go after. Thanks for the help guys.

one year old oil, your right to get it changed now it doesn't matter about the miles.
theres more debris and crap in it after the first few thousand miles, i did my own oil after 3 months (3000) and then again at 6 months (6000)
and come in every 5 laps and lt the brake cool down they can fade after a bit.

yeah even after a year of not much use the oil starts to break down.

The book service intervals are 2 years/12000 miles, depending on useage. I was going to change the oil myself now anyway, but I'm not paying a dealer £200 for an oil change I can do myself. It will get its official service at the required time, and I will look after the rest.

Yea, just keep the receipts to show you did the services at 12 month intervals. Would be worth changing the air filter for an ITG one whilst you're at it

The book service intervals are 2 years/12000 miles, depending on useage. I was going to change the oil myself now anyway, but I'm not paying a dealer £200 for an oil change I can do myself. It will get its official service at the required time, and I will look after the rest.

i think the 2yr bit is a mis-print in the book - been some discussion on rs forum about it - its still 12k/12m as far as i understand it :001_unsure:

I spoke to Renault CS about the service intervals, they insisted that it is 2 years/12000 miles. I double checked the book too. I know there are circumstances where more frequent intervals are a good idea. My dealer has not made any contact about a service, I thought they do this to try and drum up business. Then again, they are not very good imo...

I agree 2 years is a bit long for this type of car, thats why I'm changing the oil. Just wasnt sure if I should change it before or after my scheduled track day. I think the first service is little more than an oil change and perhaps a quick check over. But seeing as how they missed stuff on my car during 2 pre delivery inspections, I suspect they would not notice if the engine was missing.

i would say oil change every 6000 mile or a year, with service 12000 mile or a year.
with ref to high performance engine, i do no some porsches run on a 2 year service interval, just cant remember the mileage amounts