CDTi Vaux Insignia

haha guys thread made me laugh. I'd still rather have the Clio hands down was just a bit miffed. I didnt drop the clutch or anything so didnt "launch" so to speak but I still tried! oh well still the car of choice :smiley:

good lad. thats what i like to hear. no point in getting dis-heartened over a light spanking by ure average family saloon

Racing on a public highway is not clever :wink:

But I would :wink:

I would also be gutted, but like has already been said, what has been done to the car :worried:

as soon as insurance allows i'll be basing it on your car :-p (inc supercharger!)

Mike i'm not going to deny it was racing.. but in a way it was only a 0-70 MPH run on the motorway.. :-p lets not go there eh? :tongueout:

Cars like the Vaux Insignia might be quick i a straight line, they should be its 2010 for gods sake. BUT... to drive one you have to have a reason to have a rep mobile:
1. you have a s**ty job working for Da-man selling stuff no-one wants.
2. you have a family and your wife runs your life so you have to buy a non-descript car.
3. your fat / old or have NO desire to get driving joy.

Now when some-one in an Insignia / Vectra / Mondeo trys to race you off the line at the lights just let them win. Don't even try, remember they need to make themselves feel better; you'll be doing your good deed for the day.

I bet the owner of a diesel Mondao doesn't wind his window down to listen to the sound of his twin exhaust as it sings to 8000rpm! No he has to keep his windows shut so as not to choke on the black c**p coming out of the back.

Rant over.

I always drive at 70mph or under

In the land of make believe and perfectness :wink:

And no-one else ever does so either :smile:

And I have never done a controlled drag run before either :wink:

kosluk makes the point here...we've nothing to prove....most large saloon cars will keep up with us off the lights especially the torquey deisels.....on the open twisties there will be no contest....so just hang back. When you catch them up at the next lights give them the rightous look and shake your head......

diesels do produce double the torque the clio does. Buts its still gay, your always followed about by a black cloud and sounds like a tractor on its last legs. If your buying a fast car/hot hatch the last thing you ask is about "fuel consumption and road tax". Poofs.

Cars like the Vaux Insignia might be quick i a straight line, they should be its 2010 for gods sake. BUT... to drive one you have to have a reason to have a rep mobile:
1. you have a s**ty job working for Da-man selling stuff no-one wants.
2. you have a family and your wife runs your life so you have to buy a non-descript car.
3. your fat / old or have NO desire to get driving joy.

Now when some-one in an Insignia / Vectra / Mondeo trys to race you off the line at the lights just let them win. Don't even try, remember they need to make themselves feel better; you'll be doing your good deed for the day.

I bet the owner of a diesel Mondao doesn't wind his window down to listen to the sound of his twin exhaust as it sings to 8000rpm! No he has to keep his windows shut so as not to choke on the black c**p coming out of the back.

Rant over.

Good point well put!

diesels do produce double the torque the clio does. Buts its still gay, your always followed about by a black cloud and sounds like a tractor on its last legs. If your buying a fast car/hot hatch the last thing you ask is about "fuel consumption and road tax". Poofs.

Again...

Good point well put!

See I drive a 1.9cdti astra 150. It is only a tad slower that a corsa vxr so thinking the clio will be the same!

I hate being followed by a cloud of black smoke!!! :worried: The tractor bit is horrid too but fine if you have the windows up and flying as it just sounds like a jet and can hear the turbo. Going to miss how fast it is without really trying.

I am swapping to a 200 as I want the sound and rev limit of a petrol! Fed up of getting to 5k and that's it! and yeah I don't care about the economy or tax! lol

LOL at the stereotyping of repmobile drivers...

To give another perspective, I always ask for derv ****boxes as hirecars - there's nothing funnier than toasting someone in their supposed fast car in a car I don't care about and isn't costing me a penny! I make a point of having classic FM on really loud, so they can hear it when next to me at the lights too.

I get back, get in my nice car and drive home - having had my fun at someone else's expense. The look of rage on people's faces as they're literally burning their own money trying to prove a point is very satisfying.

Remember, hire cars and company cars are the fastest things in the world!!

Last edited:
See I drive a 1.9cdti astra 150. It is only a tad slower that a corsa vxr so thinking the clio will be the same!

I hate being followed by a cloud of black smoke!!! :worried: The tractor bit is horrid too but fine if you have the windows up and flying as it just sounds like a jet and can hear the turbo. Going to miss how fast it is without really trying.

I am swapping to a 200 as I want the sound and rev limit of a petrol! Fed up of getting to 5k and that's it! and yeah I don't care about the economy or tax! lol

I swapped from a diesel Sport Hatch to a 197 and it was a brilliant move. The sound alone is worth the fact that you have to visit the pumps twice as often!

Mine was remapped to nearly 200bhp and had over 300 torques, but I reckon the Clio is still quicker as there will always be corners somewhere and the Astra would end up in a hedge if it tried to follow! :thumbsup:

There is lots of talk about torque these days, but the thing that determines a 0-60 time is power / weight ratio. The greater the power to weitght ratio, the faster you'll go 0-60. The relationship between power and torque is power=torque x rpm.
There is no way that insignia could have kept up with you if it was standard - as you say the standard has 160 bhp, and a 0-60 of 9.2. Therefore, either a) it was not standard, b)you did not really "floor" it or c)there is something wrong with your clio.
My guess is he had a non standard car. I know how you feel, because a similar thing happened to me, but thinking back I did not really "hammer" my car and sort of gave up.

i had my skoda fabia re-mapped, it was putting out 176bhp, with 322ft lbs of torque, and in all honesty, i think it was quicker than my 197......

I swapped from a diesel Sport Hatch to a 197 and it was a brilliant move. The sound alone is worth the fact that you have to visit the pumps twice as often!

Mine was remapped to nearly 200bhp and had over 300 torques, but I reckon the Clio is still quicker as there will always be corners somewhere and the Astra would end up in a hedge if it tried to follow! :thumbsup:

Oh I'm hoping the 200 will be worth it and I don't doubt it for a 2nd. Although sometimes I wish I bought a corsa vxr... just as they are in stock new so many places and the wait for the clio is killing me!!! :chair:

The astra is not the best at cornering but find it great fun... does like a bit of lift of oversteer though!!!

Yup, had that a few times. When you get used to the Clio you'll be going round bends at speeds that would leave an Astra shaped hole in the hedge! Enjoy.

You on AON at all, btw?

nope. Used to be... eclipedeatailing. My dad had the astra 888 T8 VPC. Awsome car that!!! Why I went for a clio I think as it's like a smaller version of the 888 :smile:

i had my skoda fabia re-mapped, it was putting out 176bhp, with 322ft lbs of torque, and in all honesty, i think it was quicker than my 197......

only in a straught line - not exactly the best round corners - had a little dabble with one until it came to a couple of roundabouts......goodbye skoda :lol::lol::-p