Can't remove shock/strut

Bro

Paid Member
I'm having trouble removing the front strut from the knuckle joint that clamps it into place

I've tried basically everything and still cant get it off. Its come out of the knuckle most of the way but its taken ages and I just can't get it that last bit

I've disconnected everything that should be so nothing is stopping it

I tried to split the knuckle a bit and pry it open but its difficult to get anything in at the right angle. I'm also sure my neighbours are annoyed at me banging for hours so I've given up today

Anyone got any tips apart from buying a knuckle splitter tool?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Take the whole lot out so you can hold it/put it in a vice.
Undo the top mount, driveshaft nut, balljoint, etc etc.

I always tell people do it this way, even though it’s only a little bit of extra work.

Have you compressed the springs?
I haven't compressed the spring but surely they wouldn't need to be compressed until they're off the car? I've separated the shock from the hub carrier before but on the opposite side without compressing the springs

I haven't compressed the spring but surely they wouldn't need to be compressed until they're off the car? I've separated the shock from the hub carrier before but on the opposite side without compressing the springs

What @PITA meant was if you compress the springs in situ, they allow upward movement to allow it come out.

Like @RSRowe said, it's probably easier to take off the whole lot, it's so much easier, as like you have found some can be stuck.

Thank you all for your advice

I managed to get both top mounts changes today

In the end I used a bottle jack on top of the upper ball joint. I found that tip from another post on here so I went out and bought myself a bottle jack and it worked perfectly
67b1368c25e69d872983459511084f06.jpg