Caliper Pins are a bitch

I've had to drill one out before on a 225. Hideous job when they dont play ball. Not had an issue since buying a new set of pin punches though

Big-Hammers.jpg

Part of the official Renault service kit apparently!

[/QUOTE

Lmao, I specced the cup chassis so didnt get one of those... Gutted

Had i right nightmare today!!! got 3 of 4 pins out just one wouldn't budge no matter how much smacking, wd40 and swearing it took so in the end gave up on the RH side caliper. All i wanted to do is get the pads out for a clean and inspection as i have had monumental squeeking going on.

Any advice on how to get the last pin out ??:german:

a proper hard blow from a weighty hammer - knock it "in" first and around the area where the spring collar is on the caliper - they really do need to be "shocked" to make them move...

I beat the S**T out of mine for a bout 15minutes, with brake cleaner and WD40 sprayed in to the pin but with no luck, its rounded all the end off the pin. I've had a quote now from RS tuner in leeds to get mine sorted, think I'll invest in the different pin design at the same time and then I know theyre sorted :smile:

I beat the S**T out of mine for a bout 15minutes, with brake cleaner and WD40 sprayed in to the pin but with no luck, its rounded all the end off the pin. I've had a quote now from RS tuner in leeds to get mine sorted, think I'll invest in the different pin design at the same time and then I know theyre sorted :smile:

i think thats the problem at times - they are hit by the hammer but just not "hard" enough - so the end starts to mushroom and the pin begins to bend

i had the same with someone that txt me about they couldnt get the pins out - i went round and gave them a proper hammer blow :thumbup1:

I was using a pretty hefty lump hammer and a proper pin punch at the time, I got out the smaller hammer to start with then never used it. Lump hammer FTW :smiley:

3/4 came out fine but that last one is stuck, hit it in both directions, tried to "shock" it and nothing :worried:

I strip ours every 18 months or so, bit of anti seize compound on them and I've never had a problem with them.

Having said that the reason I started doing this was coz of a very, very bad time I had taking a set out of of friends 225, They bent, shattered, rounded, every way they could have gone but out. I was sad that day lol

Im fitting a new hub on the weekend, not removing any brake pads, im hoping i can bypass these caliper pins & just remove the whole caliper itself by losening the bleed nipples & taking off the two bolts?

Im fitting a new hub on the weekend, not removing any brake pads, im hoping i can bypass these caliper pins & just remove the whole caliper itself by losening the bleed nipples & taking off the two bolts?

just unbolt the caliper and take it off - no need to loosen bleed nipples!

Ok cool, i thought id have to loosen them slightly to free up the caliper pistons, one less thing to do then :wink:

Good thing i didn't follow the manual for the subframe aswell, they advise taking off the bumper/radiator crossmember when the subframe isn't bolted to the radiator crossmember so there's no need