Rear Caliper sliding pins

Thanks foxy. Wouldn't you remove them though on your annual service for cleaning and re greasing?

I've got a clicking noise coming from the rear only when the car turns right and we've noticed some excessive play on the NS rear caliper. We get a similar noise when we have the car on the ramp and punching the wheel. Everything else is rock solid.

Can a clicking noise be caused by a knackered bearing perhaps? Maybe I'm looking for somewhere I shouldn't be looking.

1. Check the wheel nuts are tight before anything else.
2. If the play is in the wheel it will be a bearing thing.
3. If there is play in the calliper it should only affect during breaking and yes the pins in a Clio 197 look like that OK I used Bremtech BCF1346 similar sizes. You might have broken one as I had one that seized in the calliper bracket and needed a lot of heat to remove it and an 8mm drill bit using your hand to turn it in the hole to clean them out before greasing and fitting new ones.

Clean and replace both sides of the car as they are the same age and mileage, garages tend to use any slide pin they can find if one has seized or broken in the past.

Thanks foxy. Wouldn't you remove them though on your annual service for cleaning and re greasing?

I've got a clicking noise coming from the rear only when the car turns right and we've noticed some excessive play on the NS rear caliper. We get a similar noise when we have the car on the ramp and punching the wheel. Everything else is rock solid.

Can a clicking noise be caused by a knackered bearing perhaps? Maybe I'm looking for somewhere I shouldn't be looking.

you can but i havent on any rs yet with those type rear calipers...i have on other motors and yes the sliders can wear and cause the caliper to stick and be noisey

@turkie172 thanks for your post.

I'm quite handy with the spanner and aware of the basics but appreciate the input, always good to be mentioned so as to help others in the future etc.

Now, the wheelnuts are tight, always use a torque wrench for that. We did check for bearings and play at the wheels and there is nothing there. My rear brake hubs are bespoke 2 piece but still use the OEM SNR bearings which they "seem" fine. They haven't covered more than 20k miles. The brakes are serviced every 6 months so there is nothing seized there however one pin fits much tighter than the other which causes the excessive play. When I swap the pins around the tighter fitment goes with the good pin and the play goes to the other side, this is what makes me believe that it's the pin that needs replacing.

There is nothing else at the rear end that would cause such a noise really and as I said, by punching the wheel I could hear the noise coming from the caliper.

I got some pins which I will be replacing tomorrow and report back:smile:

Last edited:
Update on this.

Pins have been replaced and cured the excessive caliper play and relevant noise (when punching the wheel) however it seems that I had 2 kind of noises from the back and the loud one was not caused but the caliper as such.

We didn't have time on Wednesday so now I have to replace the bearing from the hub as a last resort. Any idea where to get the bearing from? Fortunately for me I've kept the old discs and I can use an old bearing for now, unfortunately for me they are in a mate's storage and my mate is abroad:worried: Anyone with an old disc???

Google " als performance ebay" he broke a 197 the other week and has 2 used rear discs for sale a good guy and good service I don't think they are big money.

Similar Thread Suggestions