Caliper Pins are a bitch

After realising they were solid and wouldn't budge I bought myself a new set to replace them...

1 of the pins came out intact and reasonably straight, the other 3 however.. well the picture speaks for itself

Here's the pins after they were removed

219713_10150191491705009_726695008_7322305_1142675_o.jpg

How on earth did you bend them so much? When I removed mine they felt pretty tough :s

What a mess! Expensive, but I bet your glad you eventually got there with them!

What a mess! Expensive, but I bet your glad you eventually got there with them!

Yeah i'm really glad they're done now. No more squeaky brakes either :smiley:

It was expensive but considering that I had to do this to the pins to get them out, they really needed doing.

I never really understand this problem, mine came out pretty easily. Car was about 3 years old and on ~25k miles with original pads.

It may be a case of how hard you hit the pins. Quick hard knock may be the best method to break the corrosion before gentle knocks to tap the pins fully out.

They use a different style pin... There's a thread on here where somebody has had that style pin machined ro fit the Clio, I think they're around £30. :wink:

Mine ended up bending too, so I cut the pins in half which made the job a whole lot easier... The new ones were nicely lube'd though so hopefully I won't have the same problem next time.

Mine ended up bending too, so I cut the pins in half which made the job a whole lot easier... The new ones were nicely lube'd though so hopefully I won't have the same problem next time.

These bent so much that they snapped, didn't have to bother cutting them

Bux I had the exact same problem with mine as well, had to beat the absolute grannies out of them! was probably the hardest pad change I've ever done.

I unloaded almost a whole can of penetrating fluid on the collar of mine and they came out after some persuasion fairly straight, if I haft bought new ones I could probably have gotten away with using them again...

one of the other issues with these pins is the actual hammer blow....if your going to knock them out make sure its with a heavy hammer blow to give them a good shock to get them moving...if not they bend !

Mine also wouldnt budge, was left with one stuck in, had to cut it to get one half out and drill out the other by running a smaller drill bit through it and punching the rest out, luckily it did all come out without causing any damage to the caliper (thanks dad haha). very poor design but a six monthly strip n clean should stop this problem from occuring again :thumbsup:

Had i right nightmare today!!! got 3 of 4 pins out just one wouldn't budge no matter how much smacking, wd40 and swearing it took so in the end gave up on the RH side caliper. All i wanted to do is get the pads out for a clean and inspection as i have had monumental squeeking going on.

Any advice on how to get the last pin out ??:german:

Did mine in preparation for a track day this week. Me and a mate had no problem getting them out. WD 40, little taps backwards and forwards and 3 came out.
4th one had a little bit of heat from a Halfords blow torch and out she popped within seconds.

Big-Hammers.jpg

Part of the official Renault service kit apparently!

Only thing to do is apply some WD40 and leave it over night, a lot of people end up cutting them if you still can't get them out.