Broken Down!

19Zen

Platinum Member
Hey guys, so after almost 10 years the unthinkable has happened and I've broken down! I was approaching a speed bump and was slowing down and it just cut out.

The car is trying to start and the battery was replaced around 2 years ago so don't think it's the battery.

Just waiting on the RAC and wondering where I should start. I'm thinking some kind of sensor has come loose and/or related to fuelling. No warning lights...

Thanks for any tips!

Edit: Having a quick look the only thing I can see is the MAF sensor is quite loose. After trying to refit it almost started but then sounded a bit metal on metal so stopped trying.

Last edited:
If so. It’ll likely be the crank sensor on the front of the gearbox.

If you’re lucky it’s just failed or come unplugged
If you’re unlucky you’ll need a new clutch

Reactions: 19Zen
Is it still turning over but not firing?

Yep, I reckon TDC sensor is the most likely, just need to whip off the undertray, I knew I shouldn't have taken my tools out of the car in the name of weight saving! Thanks for the swift response.

No worries. Same thing happened to a mate not too long ago.
Clutch cover fell apart and took the sensor out. Hopefully yours is ok

Fingers crossed not a clutch! Hopefully cleaning up the sensor will get me to work, then will have to be a europarts sensor until I can get to main dealer. Thankfully work at a garage so should be able to change it at lunch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSRowe
Cleaned up the TDC sensor (which was filthy) while waiting for RAC but still no joy, now getting steering not locked message which I know can be related to camshaft sensor.

So it looks like the fuel pump, which makes sense as I brimmed it the other day and the guage only went to 3/4. Will swap on weekend and confirm. :smile:

Reactions: RSRowe
I haven't heard of it before myself but having a search of the forum there's a few out there. A touch under 70k/12 years old.

Hopefully sorted next week...

Will it start on easy start or brake cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was starting with easy start and no noise from the pump. I'll check the relay first but do think it most likely is the pump

Last edited:
Will it start on easy start or brake cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was starting with easy start and no noise from the pump. I'll check the relay first but do think it most likely is the pump.

Diagram of the fuel pump sender unit plug the thicker wires are the pump the thinner ones are the level I think the level is a 5volt system and the pump is a 12volt system.
1593733386522.png
1593733793589.png
1593734890545.png
1593735283686.png

Reactions: Sean197 and 19Zen
Twas the pump, she's back up and running and sounding quite ferocious.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

p.s If you need to buy a tow eye, don't buy an aftermarket one like this, they're not kind to your bumper!

Last edited:
I had a similar issue - bank holiday last year.. I done a 170 mile drive to a theme park and on the way there I lost all gears apart from 3 and 4 - the gear selector cable had popped out of the mounting, managed to fix this on the road side. On the way home, I hit a huge pot hole in the middle lane on the M5 and the car literally just died. Worst part was, I was about 70 miles from home, no breakdown cover (I know, I have some now!) and there was no hard shoulder to pull onto as there was roadworks, so I was stuck in the slow lane and had to quickly climb out the passenger window and hop over bollards to get to safety.

Luckily I got it recovered to the closest services for free due to the roadworks, then I left the car there as prices to get the car recovered were £700+ (being bank holiday). Had my mechanic collect it 2 days later, diagnosed it was the fuel pump and got it replaced all for under £300 including collecting the car.

Was only on about 78k at the time. I have read about fuel pumps going randomly, sometimes a whack on the tank can bring it back, otherwise it's dead and needs replacing. Replacing is a bit of a pig too, rear brake lines off, drop frame, tank out jobby. Some people just cut under the rear seats and bodge some sealant after replacing but I wanted it done properly!

Glad you got yours sorted though. If I had more time, I'd have popped a better pump in but I went for a standard replacement. I've seen some walbro pump kits that fit the 197/200s at the £90 mark and can imagine it would be better than stock.

I just did the quick access fix to swap the pump, did a neat job though tbf so don't feel I've butchered it, just saved a lot of time and made future repairs a lot easier.

It does seem my fuel level is staying quite high but the tank was filled 2 days prior to the pump going and it's only been ran for around 30 miles since filling, along with spilling a bit of juice when replacing the pump. Hopefully just means I have a lot of fuel left rather than the new pump's lvl sensor being faulty.

Reactions: Frank Perry