brembo discs and pads

Also interesting as I had ST170 front brakes (same as Fiesta ST, but larger carrier) on my '01 Puma, and I thought the Clio brakes (with standard pads) were 100x better. Perhaps your first pads were badly glazed?

Roy the brakes on standard 197 are fantastic. Uprated disks pads and calipers are overkill unless ure upping the power.

standard pads been hammered are rubbish yes. they glaze very quickly. standard pads on grooved disks arnt bad

Roy the brakes on standard 197 are fantastic. Uprated disks pads and calipers are overkill unless ure upping the power.

Standard pads are **** if you drive the car properly. Fact. :smile:

I love how Woody just agrees with the masses on every single subject on this forum though.

I love how Woody just agrees with the masses on every single subject on this forum though.
so what you saying is the proper way to drive 1 then is??

I speak from experience. Nothing wrong with standard pads or disks. If u wana do track days and fast road use upgrade. the car is designed to be hammered but flaws such as cheap oe brake fluid contribute to the factors of brake fade.

I deffo dont agree with masses as i still believe redstuff to be decent.

Uve had the car 5 minutes n ure dictating hmmmmmmm

so what you saying is the proper way to drive 1 then is??

Lol obviously 30 - 40 100mph straights to 30mph corners every journey is how its supposed to be driven ........

Brake pads are fine. The same setup is used on evo 9

Woody, im just bantering. :wink: When you say in one post "standard brakes are amazing on the 197" and on the next "standard pads being hammered are rubbish". I cant help but smile.

Ive owned a lot, i mean, seriously. A lot of cars. Ive never had pads glaze so fast and so sudden like the standard ones on these Brembo setup when pushed a little hard. On track ive gone from feeling like the brakes are biblical, to not existing from corner to corner.

These brembo calipers are sold on the premise that they look nice. They are nowhere near as good as the motorsport spec calipers that Brembo sell. They are mass produced cheap for production cars, because us, the public think they look nice. Its the same on the SEAT Bocanegra with the Brembo setup. With a combination of pads/fluid that dont work well together., but that are suitable for 80% of the people that will still only use them as big shopping trolleys.

As soon as i have some spare cash, ill be doing a similar swap to Mike Roberts, but ill most likely use a combination of DS2500 and RBF600.

No no no u got it wrong the calipers have nothing to do with it 4,6,8,12 pots doesnt matter if the pads transfer heat to the fluid too quickly. Ure brake fluid will boil and lines will go spongey so ure braking force goes outwards instead of to the piston.

In the posts u quoted i didnt contradict i said standard pads are rubbish been hammered i meant track days. And then in the second qoute i said they are fantastic meening they will stop you 5x faster than any other standard brake set up on the raod. Obviously not every1 drives it like they stole it everytime the jump in the drivers seat and in normal use they are bloody good brakes.

U will glaze ds2500 if u drive hard man if u drove hard enough i bet u could glaze pagids on standard disks. Thats y we have grooves :smile: to deglaze but even after all thisu will still get fade cus ure fluid is too hot.

Night after night i sit here researching what does what and y it does it. Ive driven alot of cars too dude some very powerfull ones i may add. 197 setup is good for normal use thats how they design it. And the reason y uprated pads disks are on market is for reasons u stated.

I think its a perfectly capable and fun car in standard form. I just dont like the brakes. Actually, dislike is the wrong word. I like the brakes, i just want to change them to get the best out the setup.

Car is no longer a daily driver, so doesnt need to be suitable for our daily commute. Decent pads and fluid are going to be a must.

Hopefully in 3 years i might be able to buy either a Cup Racer or something else for track use.

guys,

I have a red-black clio rs 197, bougth in July 2010, and done 2 trackdays already here in Hungaroring/Budapest.
Now I started to tune my car, and about to buy Goodridge brake lines for my baby.
Anyone got any experience with it?
Anyone changed the factory fir brake lines? If yes, for what pls?
What would you recommend?

cheers
Tamas

Nice discussion guys! (woody, deako) Has made me want to change my pads and fluid if nothing else :smile: I think mine have glazed over aswell

Do you know a good site/place to get a good set of pads and fluid from? Red / yellow stuff maybe? Im open to ideas

Last edited:
Buy ceramic based pads, they don't glaze or leech s*** out causing judder.

Pagid RS5 pads, Motul RBF600 - never faded all day on track the other week. The pads are a bit of a hit up front at over £200, but then they last 3 times as long as anything else and they stop every single time - so worth the money in my eyes.

Buy s***, buy twice.

guys,

I have a red-black clio rs 197, bougth in July 2010, and done 2 trackdays already here in Hungaroring/Budapest.
Now I started to tune my car, and about to buy Goodridge brake lines for my baby.
Anyone got any experience with it?
Anyone changed the factory fir brake lines? If yes, for what pls?
What would you recommend?

cheers
Tamas

I have the Goodridge brake lines on my 197. Didn't notice any difference.

25092009804.jpg

P9260340.jpg

P9260359.gif

Well when I uprated my set-up I went for,

DS2500
AP Racing 310mm bells and rotors
Motul RBF 600
HEL braided brake lines.

I knew the set-up was better but I wasn't used to it. Then two months ago I stupidly forgot to check my pads before going on track and by the end of the day they were finished.

In a rush to get my car back on the road I opted for the standard items...I hated them in comparison. The bite wasn't there from cold, they glazed easily after every stint on track and the braking distances were greater.

I've not got shot of them at 50% worn for DS2500 and I'm going to try the DS300 next time round.

Don't get me wrong the standard set-up was great but like everything it can improved.