Brake Setup - Any thoughts?

Not had any experince with the ones you've linked to but there is quite a wide variety of set ups that people use and everyone has makes they like and dislike.
personally i use mintex disks and pads at £370 incl fitting and think they're awesome.
you will most liley get quite a few opinions so also an idea to look at the other brake threads as well.
Lot sof people do run CL's and ferodos though.

Another vote for standard discs and DS2500.

I've tried KTEC 2-piece discs with DS2500 and CL pads. The 2-piece discs are maybe fractionally better than standard discs but they don't warrant the extra dosh. CL pads on standard discs are great but they do get through discs and personally I think the DS2500 are more suitable for the road.

The problem is I do not have faith anymore in the standards disks...

Done 2 trackdays with 'em and they warped twice. They were warped, as I've done a check on them with my local mechanic.

Would changing the brake pads improve that?

Standard discs are more than upto the task, surprised to hear you've warped a few sets. I've never had a problem with them and as far as I know the HC are also what they use on the Cup cars... A portion of it could be down to driving style maybe? Do you allow the brakes a warm up and cool down period? What pads have you been using?

Last edited:
Are you letting them cool on the last couple of laps. You might be getting them too hot. Discs shouldn't warp that easily.

What did the garage do to verify they were warped? Usually requires spinning the disk with a gauge against the face.

Your not the only one mate. Me and a mate both had issues with standard set up, not so much warping but more a case of the brakes just not providing the stopping power we wanted so went for upgraded set up. He runs ebc i run mintex and both are very good (from our experience). On a recent trip to the alps the only car i couldnt outbrake was a gt3! and on track its a similar story.
If you'd feel more comfortable upgrading then do it as when giving it some on track you want to be confident that the brakes will be consistent and have good power. Everyones differnt but go with what you feel most comfortable with.

IMO

i run the ktec black edition brembo front discs and ds2500 pads,i personally think its a great setup,i'm not sure the discs are that much better than standard but the grooves do help to clean the pads and look pretty cool,the ds2500 pads however are better than standard in my eyes,awesome stopping power and bite from cold,perfect for normal driving,fast road and track days

I use a standard set up and gave them some abuse last tuesday at donington, got some real heat into them but no problems to report.

Driven to work and back all week and nothing is amiss.

I have temprature strips on the calipers and never get a reading under normal road use but they were well up last tuesday. i'll get a reading later on.

You didn't warp your standard discs, can almost guarantee that. It would have been the pads overheating and unevenly transfering to the discs. That was partly due to the pads being road orientated and also probably due to not cooling them down properly.

Standard discs are used on the cup racer which is proof in itself that they're up to the task.

Standard discs are more than upto the task, surprised to hear you've warped a few sets. I've never had a problem with them and as far as I know the HC are also what they use on the Cup cars... A portion of it could be down to driving style maybe? Do you allow the brakes a warm up and cool down period? What pads have you been using?

Yes, after the first warp I even did cool out runs, kilometers long. But still I had warped discs.

Everything is stock on my car.

Standard discs are more than upto the task, surprised to hear you've warped a few sets. I've never had a problem with them and as far as I know the HC are also what they use on the Cup cars...

Then why do I see a lot of those Cup Cars running on AP's?

Not ones running in the Clio Cup series you don't. You might see enduro' cars running a different disc/caliper combination but as far as I've ever seen the only difference between a Cup car and a road car is the pads are changed from Brembo/Ferodo to the more aggressive Ferodo or Carbon Lorraine...

By cooling down, I mean if you do ten fast laps on track, do you then do one or two slower laps before going back into the pit? Driving slowly after the trackday when you're on your way home won't help anything, the brakes have to be allowed to warm and cool on the track in order to help preserve them and dissipate heat.

Road pads just don't work well on track, they'll put uneven deposits on the disk (what people called warped discs)

Road pads just don't work well on track, they'll put uneven deposits on the disk (what people called warped discs)

This could be the main reason why I'm having this issue.

I will try to save them std pads by some better stuff.

What's the difference betwee ferodo 2500 en the more expensive CL?
Would you change the rear pads too?