Brake Fade?

anyone suffered brake fade? was on the motorway tonight doing 70 (speed limiter on) someone cut me up and braked v hard cusing me to brake hard.. nothing seemed to happen until i droped down to 3rd and even then it wasnt great.. anyone else had this happen? I only bought the car so i'm not sure if the pads have been replaced is this a sympton of them bedding in?

get the brakes looked at its either -

pads seized in the calipers (happens alot)

or pads are glazed and just need a good rubbing up

Sounds like classic EBC RedStuff to me. You've been cruising on the motorway for miles cooling the brakes to ice cold and then you slam on and they dont wanna play lol.

Maybe you have aftermarket pads in like so ^ ?

Mine seem to start fadeing after brakeing hard for a few bends close to each other (Burnham Bends - Essex).

Dunno if anyone else uses www.readyforthetrack.co.uk but here he suggests the difference between Pedal fade & Pad fade... http://www.readyforthetrack.co.uk/2009/03/how-to-stop-trackday-brake-fade/

It sounds like both of us have Pad fade... I guess if it is doing it on a motorway it could either be poor quality or well worn pads i.e. overheating too quickly...

I think I need to either stop driving like an 'arse', or up grade my pads to Ferodo Ds2500's (or similar)... it'll be new pads then!

glazed pads or air in the line. fatal if you really need the brakes get it checked asap

Glazed pads = good pedal pressure.
Air in the line = Foot/pedal travels more than usual.

Tho, having re-read the thread, It does sound like the calipers have seized or glazed/ well worn pads.

dude, i got the ferodo ds2500 pads in mine an i never have any problems with them, they stop the car really well an wen on the motorway or through lots of brakin etc there still very good. worthwhile purchase if you ask me :thumbsup:

The disks and pads on the 197 are standard mate, just got braided lines on, I think I'm on of the few that really rate the standard set up. I'll be grooving them in sumin different when the disks are up for a change though, not sure what pads to go for yet

today, i've tried my new semislicks and drove pretty hard. After some hard brakings, i've suddenly had a lot of brake fading! it was dangerous, because it happend that sudden. after letting them cool down, they worked well again. now, i really want to change something.
i would like to go for ferodo 2500 or EBC redstuff pads and some other braking fluid. now, i'me wondering if its a good idea to change only the front pads and keep the original ones on the rear. what do you think about that? does it makes sense, to change all pads?

I did Donington GP circuit last July, was 30+ most of the day.
Never suffered any fade or anything & this is known as a brake killer.

Are you sure your pads are not glazed?

To pop out & do some heavy braking sounds like glazing.
Brakes need a lot of temps to work effectively, so if you trundle to work all week & at weekend give it death down some b roads defo glazing.

Did your pedal drop to floor? if so the fluid probably needs changing as it can boil in the caliper.

Try doing a trackday, your brakes will never be as good as when on the way home :smiley:

Try doing a trackday, your brakes will never be as good as when on the way home :smiley:

well, thats the main problem, mate. i am going to do a trackday next saturday and i don't want to have problems then. :thumbsup:

the pedal didn't dropped to the floor. it felt more like an old and fully loaded ford fiesta.... full braking and almost no reaction. by the way, the fluid is only 3 months old. so the pads really could be glazed... i think, its the best to call my mechanics and let him checking the brakes. the original pads did a great job so far, so may be there is an other problem. :001_unsure:

well, my mechanics checked the brakes and agreed that something is wrong, but he couldn't found the problem. so i started the trackday with some lurking doubts. but after a few laps, it was getting better and better. and in the end, as steve said:

they were perfect :thumbup: so, they just needed some stress.