strange problem, cold brake fade!!?

200cup andy

Platinum Member
only just started to notice this

driving about ive not braked for a while i go to put the brakes on for a motorway to roundabout stop and nothing! then gradually it came back and then pretty much stuck me through the windscreen. its started to do this alot but at random times i could have just left my house and it will do it on the first brake

the car hasnt even done 1000 miles yet so i cant have screwed the fluid and i thought i had been "using" the car enough to not glaze the pads

any ideas as its a bit worrying as i cant tell when its going to happen

Mine are like that all the time, they need to be warm to work, when its raining its really bad, you can do 300 feet before anything at all happens, its a good job when they do finally work they stop you on the spot.
When im coming off motorways now i usually brake softly with my left foot to warm them up ready for when i get to the roundabout.

Glazed pads is the problem mate it sounds. But it could be something like an air lock in the lines.

just been out and gave them some beans its gone away a bit. i wrote off glazing as ive had it happen in my integra that was like driving without servo assist. its odd to describe but seems the same as what blackpanther is saying. its a bit worrying that you need to warm stock pads would have thought they should bite from cold

just been out and gave them some beans its gone away a bit. i wrote off glazing as ive had it happen in my integra that was like driving without servo assist. its odd to describe but seems the same as what blackpanther is saying. its a bit worrying that you need to warm stock pads would have thought they should bite from cold

dont worry, they are fine in the summer (unless it rains)

Mine have been like that since day 1.

Mine is similar. You can tell the difference between when they have been used loads and not much. Not as bad as what you seem to be experiencing though.

Ive had no problems from cold on mine even if i barely use the pedal theres plenty of bite and stopping power.

Mine were very bad the other day when i had just washed the car - nothing at all, first time i've experienced it :thumbdown:

any car does it after you washed it as you have to wear the rust off the discs im usually prepared for that as its slow but not coming down from 70 or so you have a split second where you think im screwed then bang they work

I know what you mean mate! I pull off my drive the other dayand when I went to brake there was absolutly nothing there! I had to use the handbrake! Drove steady fo the next couple of corners then they were back to normal. It's happend a couple of times now

Similar thing happened to me today on the motorway. Came into a 50 zone so had to slow down and thre was nothing - it then pulled slightly to the left, then right and then slowed down! Very strange and TBH a bit unnerving at the time!

any car does it after you washed it as you have to wear the rust off the discs im usually prepared for that as its slow but not coming down from 70 or so you have a split second where you think im screwed then bang they work

Nowt to do with rust, i'd only just washed it :smiley:

I put it down to really cold water sat on the surface of the disc, but all the other cars i've had as soon as you touch the brakes its off and the brakes work :bat:

hey all, not been on in a while, mabe its already been said, these brembo stoppers need a bit more looking after than your normal single piston breaks, i found when i got my clio that the breaks we good when u realy stamped on the peddle but other than that they wer **** and ther was a fair bit of peddle travel, after a struggle to get the wheels off i found the inside pads seized in the calipers, to say i was not impressed, only having the car 9 months. ended up needing new pads and disks, cos they wer so badly scord and pitted. so id say its worth to strip and clean them every six months.

hey all, not been on in a while, mabe its already been said, these brembo stoppers need a bit more looking after than your normal single piston breaks, i found when i got my clio that the breaks we good when u realy stamped on the peddle but other than that they wer **** and ther was a fair bit of peddle travel, after a struggle to get the wheels off i found the inside pads seized in the calipers, to say i was not impressed, only having the car 9 months. ended up needing new pads and disks, cos they wer so badly scord and pitted. so id say its worth to strip and clean them every six months.

thats right - they need a yearly strip/clean/lube to be in top working order :foxspeed:

steel backed pads in alloy calipers......recipe for corrosion !