197: Bored, bored, bored.......

I'm bored. I love the clio but I'm frustrated that I've exhausted what I want to do with it in only 12 months.

What a strange feeling....???

I had exactly the same feeling mate,then ended up have some stupid polish woman smash into the front end n write it off 6 months and 3 cars later I own another 197! Haha

I doubt it to be honest. My last proper drive in mine was along the A1133, where I concluded that NOTHING needs to be any faster. Yet mine is up for sale...

I think after a while you just get bored.

While we have had the CR-V for over 5 years, and I am truly very fond of it, and we had our E30 318i for probably as long, they are / were both my wife's cars. Despite being very fond of the Clio as little as 3 months ago, I just feel the need for a change. I suspect Litchy might not be so different.

Great time of year to buy something roofless...

How can someone get bored of the 197/200? Seriously?? I mean let's be honest, the vast majority of people here (if not all) are car enthusiasts. What can someone possibly buy after owning a clio without having to spend loads and still have the supreme driving experience that this cheap little car offers? I seriously believe that the Clio sport package is an absolute bargain. As far as I remember you were about to have an engine transplant and then decided against it. Then it was the cams route. Did you bottle that route as well? Maybe you did get bored of the car after all...time to sell? Maybe that would be a wise thing to do:smile:) I own the car for almost a year, I haven't done any upgrades at all (apart from HIDs) and I love it more that I did the first day. My R27 is soooo staying. I hope you change your mind my friend:smile:)

I know where u r coming from, I ditched mine for the r26, my advice still stands if u wanna go the meg route - keep hold of the r27 if you can afford to, sorn it for a couple of months whilst if u go the same route, as so many others have found including me, the itch doesn't stay away

I think the problem is that a change is as good as a rest; the 197 is a great car, but there are other great cars out there. I am currently driving a 118d MSport Edition auto, and to be honest it is a brilliant thing. Expensive? Yes, but I am only renting it (away with work). But there are cars out there that do some things better than a 197.

I want a Z4, will it seat 5 people? No, but a 197 will. Will it be as good on track? No. Will it return similar fuel economy? Yes. Will it put a smile on my face? Yes. Do I need another 5 seat car? No. And as a colleague of mine recently observed: most of the cars on this track day are a lot older than yours

So if I want a track car I would probably be better chucking a couple of grand at something rather than risking my P&J.

The 197 (haven't driven a 200) is a brilliant all rounder, but sometimes you fancy a change, and sometimes an all rounder isn't best at what you actually want.

Having said that, as hot hatches go, the Clio is rather special, but if you don't need a hatch, and the compromises that go with it, why not get something with other compromises and talents?

I swapped the 197 for an ST for a month because I was bored with it. After 2 weeks, I really wanted an ST over the 197, then that changed, the day I got her back I was elated! Also, the STOC rolling road day underlined how pleased I am with the clio too :smile:

But surely if you had turned up with a Focus ST to a Clio 197 RR day you would have been similarly pleased? The Clio is a more powerful car. Taking a gun to a knife fight?

Probably more to do with human nature than the car.

Look at all the low mileage Ferraris, Astons, Lamborghinis....that are always for sale.

Novelty wears off and the affection is distracted elsewhere.

FWIW the 200 (can't comment on 197) is a gem. Just needs to sound a bit fruitier IMO.

But surely if you had turned up with a Focus ST to a Clio 197 RR day you would have been similarly pleased? The Clio is a more powerful car. Taking a gun to a knife fight?

:tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:

I'm not going to change the topic of this thread now, link in my signature for the reasons I was so pleased :smile:

What do u want from the car mate? Power? This seems to be your ultimate quest something that will cost u a lot in the clio!! Is it worth it? I think yes!! But your a man on a strict on the cheap budget which alongside a clio is a massive hinderance! Youve said so yourself in other threads, youll never hit its limit because there is so much, u finding it to easy, not enough challenge? Ever thought about just getting a cheap 182 and charging it or moving over to a focus st or something? There are good prices about now, and easy to boost up!!

What do u want from the car mate? Power? This seems to be your ultimate quest something that will cost u a lot in the clio!! Is it worth it? I think yes!! But your a man on a strict on the cheap budget which alongside a clio is a massive hinderance! Youve said so yourself in other threads, youll never hit its limit because there is so much, u finding it to easy, not enough challenge? Ever thought about just getting a cheap 182 and charging it or moving over to a focus st or something? There are good prices about now, and easy to boost up!!

The clio was always a project. A bit of fun. Your right about about being on a budget otherwise the car becomes something that it was never mean't to be. Surely moddin's got be be more than just getting the cheque book out. Wheres the fun in that? Favourite mod to date is the 200 clocks. Many were surprised how easy they were to fit....20 secs. Thats moddin'. Jases car was everything about whats now lost on the forum. Originality and many things fitted to the car was just about being creative.

Its still a great car.... a victim of its own brilliance. Just wished it left a little more to play with, that equally didn't costs thousands for arguable little gains.
I'm sure there are others that feel the same....No plans to sell just yet, just bored.

I guess I'm a bit jealous at times of my ford, vw\audi\jap mates cars who seem to have endless list of options with their projects for a fraction of the price and for 'proven' gains.

Last edited:
Tough one this. From what i have read of your posts, you do seem to get restless or bored easily, unless you are tinkering with your car. But then you seem very reluctant to spend any decent money on it.

Which is fine, but when there are threads created every other day about R26 conversions, ITB's, Cams, then the car being perfect as is, then Coilovers etc etc, makes me think that maybe this isnt the car for you, and to sell up.

Or possibly try something new with the car, like actually take it on track. Have some fun with it, find its limits, then see if you want to spend some money on it, still find it boring etc etc etc.

Maybe if you do sell, head to jap route, like your friends (Tho when I have had Jap, cheap mods werent forthcoming. But then I am of the opinion buy cheap, buy ****e). This way at least you will have a much broader canvas to work on. As i agree there is very little in the way of mods for these cars.

Good topic of conversation!

simple. save your money and upgrade to a r26 f1. i did this week and im soo happy with everything.

Great car and different.
Quicker for sure..not as fun handling thou.

Litchy..have you tracked it?
For me, i bought mine to do everything.
Daily driver, a few mods and most importantly..to track it.
I will have done 5 by the end of the year and its just so much fun!
I go thru javelin as they are great value and have good venues.
The clio is cheap fun this way with nothing major to break either!