Blue colouring on tyres

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
I'm still relatively new to trackdays but having taken my tyres off to inspect them and change to my road wheel I noticed the front have a strip of blue colour around the edge.

Now from what I've read this generally means they've either overheated or been through a few too many intense heat cycles.

I'm thinking maybe I had the pressures too low at the front?

IMAG0026.jpg

Also ona side note the front discs are a little patched but feel fine in the car, these look ok?

IMAG0024.jpg

i dont do track days but reading up on goggle it does say under inflated tyres are the cause bound to be someone who says diff

around 26-28psi cold, I only set them very roughly.

Also google has failed me a bit as most of the chat is about bikes and well... most of what you hear in the bike world is subjective/opinionated rather than factual :tongueout:
I just wondered if it pointed to anything other than just heat.

I'd say you had the pressures too high - Same happens on bike on track if running too close to road pressures.

Mostly opinion though...

I would say they need to be set at what Renault says, 33psi.

Doesn't apply, you'll notice they aren't standard tyres and road pressures aren't correct for track use.

I'll just have to set them up properly next time and see how they go.

Looks to me as if the tyres where getting hot. I wouldnt worry about it tbf.
Fitted/took off a lot worse than that for people lol

The discs look like that as they've got pad deposits on them, generally caused by coming to a complete stop with very hot pads. I've had this problem with my carbone lorraine pads, I find doing the bedding in proceedure can help remove the deposits. Do about 6-8 hard stops from 60mph to 10mph to get the brakes nice and hot but don't come to a complete stop or you'll just get more deposits. If you've bedded in correctly the discs should have a grey film over them.

With pad deposits you normally get a whirring noise when slowing down, I've found it's worst when slowing down from speed. I.e slowing for a roundabout on a dual carriageway.

As the tyres are blue on the outside, I would have thought under pressure too.

Probably of no relevance whatsoever but with my CS3's 32PSI cold became 38PSI when hot. In % terms that could mean that yours were only just getting upto 32-33PSI. I would be inclined to up the pressure for the next TD and see how things go.

blue tyres = too hot. they all do it mate. even proxes ans slicks. if you carried on battering it and didnt stop to let them cool down they melt and the tread peels off when you go round a corner. again with the brakes too hot. they go blue because the steal is too hot and cools down quickly. Its called "bluing" funnily enough lol. im guessing you got a bit of fade at the end of that session? its like drawing the temper from the steel making it softer.

I didn't have any real problems with them, I did go a bit mad doing 20 laps a session but the car could of stayed out all day it was only me needing the rest.

Will be a bit more careful with pressures next time and maybe take it a bit easier :tongueout:

I've never had it on my car tyres but on my race bike on every outing after every session with either a new or used set of tyres I always had a blue oil ish looking colour on the tyres! I really wouldn't worry about it!

on my race bike if the tyres are blue i put little more air in as thats a sign the rubber is overheating.

you have to take the rubber to that temperature again or beyond for the tyre to work properly and get rid of the blue

using tyre warmers and allowing the tyre to cool gradually should get rid of this.

on a car i suppose there isnt much you can do other than adjust the pressures a bit

I've had it on my tyres after doing a trackday, like woody said its just the tyre getting too hot. For trackdays i usual set them to 30psi all around then match them after first run. Usual pretty good for rest of the day, but check them before driving home.

from my understanding its the chemicals in the rubber burning off and oxidising when they get to a certain temp

my mates exige was doing it all the time. 'apparently' its a sign on having fun in the car. lol