Binding brakes

Hi folks,

Wondering if you can let me know the main changes I would notice if my brakes are binding on the 200.

• I'm finding that there is a slight 'stickiness' when moving off from a static position (I've been parking with the handbrake barely raised and still noticing that 'unhinging' sound when moving off)
  • It also sounds like there is a 'whirring' type noise coming from the rear driver's side wheel when moving off
Do these sound like common issues that would come from the brakes binding?

Cheers,

Lewis

it may be that now its colder the vehicle brakes stick with dew and corrosion occurs around the pad and on the disc over night which would cause the exact symptoms you mention

I've also had it where the ends of the handbrake cable are corroded under the outer sheath of the inner cable, it almost forma a bump and stick in the outer of the cable, I cut the outer from mine and liberally greased it, worth checking that when you release the brakes the arm on the caliper is moving back fully against its stop, as idiots who don't know how handbrake calipers (and drum brakes also) work tighten the cable at the front to get a better handbrake which then interferes with the correct operation of the footbrake (the arm needs to rest on its stop on the shoes or caliper in each case) and generally doesn't let the systems auto adjust (this also occurs as it did in my case if the inner is sticking in the outer)

Reactions: Jimmy