Belt noise when car is cold.

Like everyone else I didn't win lol.

I would rather not say as I am considering my options about taking it further. Probably not much hope!

I don't have a picture at the minute.

So under the bonnet you can just about see the cambelt at the top going round when idle. It was described to me that the noise was the cambelt 'slipping'. This was obviously confirmed when it was taken off and we saw the state of it. A perished cambelt won't sit properly. I don't have a recording but it was a whining/squeak coming directly from the cambelt area.

In my view if you have a strange noise coming from there then you may have an issue.....

Recently gone through a similar experience with mine. Belt allegedly changed at 72k by dealer selling to the previous owner. I then bought privately at 86k (car now at 96k). Was due for aux belt anyway (which came off in a terrible state, so I'm skeptical it was done at 72k, which then made me question the cambelt). Of course if you're a dealer and selling a car with a 3 month warranty, what are the odds you take the risk that it lasts that long and tell the new owner it's been changed....

So both belts now done, and peace of mind for a few more miles/years.

Yeah the AUX belt that came off was absolutely hanging too.

I have to admit I did find it strange that in my case the belt had been done 3 months before trade in......

Lesson well and truly learnt.

You have been very lucky there! Although you've done what 99.9% of us would have done and taken what was in the service book as being accurate - that's what we go on after all! No proof at all, then it's a different thing, but it was there in black and white.

Best of luck if you do decide to pursue it with the garage that did the 'work'.