Belt noise when car is cold.

Hi guys,

Has anyone had a 'belt squealing' sort of noise when starting up, and it continues until warm? Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for the reply,

So went out this morn and it's certainly coming from the belt on the drivers side with the pulleys? Noise disappears when you give it any revs. Only seems to happen on idle. Will belt spray help?

Thanks again

It will be the aux belt / tensioner, I replaced mine recently and the issue disappeared. They cost around £60 for a genuine aux belt and tensioner, pattern parts are a similar price i found so it makes sense to go genuine.

I ordered from Wests Renault via Facebook.

I've got 24k on my car. Mine does exactly the same. It's literally only because it's cold. Once it's warm, it goes away, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I visited Halfords and picked up some belt spray and that seemed to do the trick but it's good to know its not too bad on the wallet if it needs replaced! Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies guys. I visited Halfords and picked up some belt spray and that seemed to do the trick but it's good to know its not too bad on the wallet if it needs replaced! Thanks again

Whats the mileage on your 197?

Some belt spray may temporarily make the noise go away, but the root cause could be a failing tensioner causing the belt to squeal,better to fix the issue than mask it IMHO.

its on 80k. It's got full service history but it might be a good idea in the new year to get this sorted. Cheers guys.

On on a brighter note I now have a straight through exhaust system....Wow what a noise! Just the right pitch when you give it some!

its on 80k. It's got full service history but it might be a good idea in the new year to get this sorted. Cheers guys.

On on a brighter note I now have a straight through exhaust system....Wow what a noise! Just the right pitch when you give it some!
Good plan

What exhaust did you go for ?

it shouldnt be making a noise therefore get it sorted asap! if it goes/shreds it goes in to the timing belt cover and derails the timing belt = bent valves

I change my mind. At 80k, it's a ran in car, I'd get it sorted by doing a full belt service and replace all the necessary parts. Ease your mind...

I have a noise coming from my belts and exactly the same it goes when you give it any revs. Only had my belts done 4k ago

Maybe something leaking onto the belt mate! I would be checking. I fitted my alternator at the weekend and had the belt off and tensioner and they were ok.

As said above, get it checked. Really not worth the risk. The full AUX belt kit can be bought from here.

If it goes it can take the cam belt with it.

So just to provide an update in case anyone was suffering the same problems........

So after getting the AUX belt changed the noise persisted, this was narrowed down to the cambelt area. Having looked at the Service History and seeing this had been changed 18 months ago I was fairly confident that it must be something else,. However I was faced with having no option but to book it in again so they could have a look at the belt and pulleys.

What was revealed was a cambelt which appeared to be fitted on the car from new! Very worn and with 3 big splits in it. The mechanic was shocked to see the condition of this and confirmed this is not how an 18 month belt should look! Once replaced car is now noise free.

I'm not on here to point fingers or accuse anyone but something is clearly not right here. Maybe I was foolish to believe everything I see in a service book. I will certainly be more cautious in the future.

Having seen the cambelt with my own eyes I was very disappointed, but relieved that I spotted this when I did.

Steve.

Last edited: