Belts and Pulleys noise

Jordanfaf

Winner - POTM November 2017, January 2018
Belts arnt due for another year (last Done December 2013) however the fan belt is squealing very badly on cold start, as well as a strange 'merp' noise which occurs every few seconds until the engine is warm, could it be a pulley, or idler that's nackerd or are the belts needing a change already?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Isn't belt squeaking normal this time of year with the weather?

Got a recording of the 'merp' noise, might help us diagnose?

Pardon the ignorance but the "merp" noise is coming from the circular sensor thing on the air intake pipe on your manifold, mine does it but goes when warmed up slightly, is it the Maf sensor?

Pardon the ignorance but the "merp" noise is coming from the circular sensor thing on the air intake pipe on your manifold, mine does it but goes when warmed up slightly, is it the Maf sensor?

Interesting.

MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor yes.....

Ah, I'll have a listen tomorrow and see if it is the map sensor, do you know what is making the noise in the sensor? The noise sounds like something rotating slowly that needs lubrication

I think these are a sealed unit, on one of my old cars I read that gases can escape from the crankcase and these vent them somehow?

Ok, just whipped mine off and dismantled, diaphragm collapsed inside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 38
I took this extract from the net...

It is critical that the parts of the PCV system be kept clean and open, otherwise air flow will be insufficient. A plugged or malfunctioning PCV valve by itself cannot damage an engine; however the blowby will flow up in a reverse fashion up through the crankcase air inlet and if there isn't a separate catch can or oil separator at that inlet, then the blowby will contaminate the air intake manifold. On boosted engines this can be a real problem. A poorly maintained engine's PCV system will eventually contaminate the air intake manifold with oil sludge and if both the pcv valve and the crankcase air inlet are blocked then the crankcase pressure will build to a level that will damage seals and eventually the motor.

Yea I'll call the dealers tomorrow and see if they have any in stock. Does it just pull off?

Yes more or less, it has two hook overs which just need prizing slightly with a screwdriver then pull the pipe off, I have just pulled the pipe off at both ends and cleaned the oil residues away.

Reactions: Dystant
Sounds like it worth to change/clean If possible even If it doesnt make any noises.
After you cleaned it the noise gone?no changing at all?

Ok, changed PCV valve and noise has disappeared.
Nice one, had to order one off the dealers, used some hasket sealant on the current one at the moment and it's fixed the noise. Seems as if there was just some worn seals.

Still gonna replace it for the sake of a few euro