noisey alternator belt?

When I start the engine I get a high pitched noise (back when I had older cars, sounds like a worn fan belt) coming from around the left hand side of the engine block, which continues when the car is idol. It is more noticable on colder days, but after the car warms up, the noise goes quieter.
If I set off when the engine hasn't fully warmed up, the noise seems to go quiet at about 2000 - 2500 rpm.
I had the cam belt done about 6 - 7 months ago, thinking the cam belt had something to do with this noise. But the noise is still there.
I'm going to go see a mechanic in the next few days but I like to go armed with some ideas to what this might be. Does anyone know what this might be or had a similar problem and had it fixed?

Was both of your belts done with genuine renault belts?

Mines doing the same at the moment, it sounds like the cambelt is slipping. Again, mine was only done about 10 months ago, however, I think they used a cheaper alternative and I wonder if it might have stretched.

aux belt has an "auto-adjuster" so it should not go loose and slip...

is the belt run on the pulleys correct - its a poly-v belt and they can get mis-aligned

failing that the aux belt kit (includes tensioner) is only about £50 from renault

the belt should be changed when the cambelt is changed

word of warning - get it checked - if it goes wrong it can cause the cambelt to jump teeth!

aux belt has an "auto-adjuster" so it should not go loose and slip...

is the belt run on the pulleys correct - its a poly-v belt and they can get mis-aligned

failing that the aux belt kit (includes tensioner) is only about £50 from renault

the belt should be changed when the cambelt is changed

word of warning - get it checked - if it goes wrong it can cause the cambelt to jump teeth!

Will this be a costly fix? Will they need to pull my car to pieces again and charge me labour again. I don't think the garage replaced all belts when the cam was done, not sure though. Doesn't say anything on the VAT receipt.

Will this be a costly fix? Will they need to pull my car to pieces again and charge me labour again. I don't think the garage replaced all belts when the cam was done, not sure though. Doesn't say anything on the VAT receipt.

changing the aux belt isnt that big a job

if they did change it you should be able to tell as the belt will have numbers and writing still visiable on it - as it takes ages for it to wear off!

I did my aux belt myself, you can get to it through the wheel arch.

It's a bit of a pig to get back on, but it is do-able.

I have a similar squeek, but i had my belts done 2/3 weeks ago and Mick informed me it was probably (without having a propper look) due to the air con compressor?

I've been to see the mechanic, and he is telling me that the belt is dealer only. is this correct and just to check the belt size "7PK 1132"?

I've been to see the mechanic, and he is telling me that the belt is dealer only. is this correct and just to check the belt size "7PK 1132"?

I would not have thought dealer only, with that above info '7PK 1132' i'd have said most motor factors could get you one, 7PK being the ammount of ribs and 1132 being the lenght in mm