At what point do you say "Enough is enough"?

Rogue

Platinum Member
How much money do you need to plow into these cars before you just get bored of doing it?

My car is currently at 519 in the process of being put back together because of a water leak through the drainage holes, into the car. Resting water in the foot wells have screwed with the electrics and it needed a whole new rear loom. I'm looking at a pretty hefty bill. Dan also dropped the bomb that my manifold might be shot AND I'm currently sat on a gearbox that needs replacing.

Combined with all 3 things, I'm looking at a pretty hefty bill, none of which I might add, is my fault. All designated "Renault Problems" - not if you speak to RUK though. Apparently gearbox issues aren't a common fault. (They would say that).

I'm now sat on a dilemma. Do I get all 3 things done and sell the car because I've had enough or do I keep it because I've had to put so much money into it. Not to mention, my front bumper needs respraying before I could even think about selling it. I know in my mind how much I'd want for it, but that's not to say I'd get what I want.

I'm just literally sick to death of Renault in general and seriously considering switching to something more reliable, more importantly, STRESS FREE. I know no car is perfect, but a manifold a gear box and a water leak (Combined bill of £1500+?) is enough to kill anyone's enthusiasm for the brand.

Option A) Get everything done. Sell it. Lose money but no more worrying.
Option B) Get everything done and keep it.
Option C) Get everything done and do what I've had in the back of my mind for the past 6 months and supercharge it, finish the project. = massive loss of money but striving towards my idea of "my perfect clio".

All round though, just gutted.

So, when enough just too much!

I actually don't know what to do with her now. :bored:

B for me, with those issues sorted, the cars fine, shouldn't have those issues again, better the devil you know and all that..

Definsteky not C, your at a bad point with the car to plow even more money into it, you'll get niggly issues with going SC and they'll just tip you over the edge.

A sounds like a bad idea, chances are you'd buy something else and have 1-2 issues creep up on that and maybe that brands 'common fault'

No matter what option you need to get it repaired, think I'd atleast get that out the way first then start weighing up the options

after what you've done to it so far it would be a shame to get rid but is inevitable you'll move on at some point so might be best to just cut losses rather than plough more money into it?

If if you change to another brand there's no guarantees all would still be ok. [MENTION=4601]Stephen[/MENTION] for example brought a brand new BMW before the Clio and appeared to just have issues to the point he sold the car

Option A.

If you're worried about money now, you don't want to wait until the next problem comes along.

Yep, I was going to post on here a while ago but got distracted.

I personally would spend any large sum of money on a car (maintainance wise). I'd rather sell up.

Your choice pal but seems like a good time to get a meg

Do I want to get myself in debt over another Renault.

At this point I think I'd rather get a Focus ST or an S Line of some sort.

Its frustrating and quite honestly, depressing.

Mate believe me your not nessisarly going to get better from another brand I blew 3k on the Rocco pal before I got rid of it if you get new in any brand your going to get 3-4 years warranty and personly I don't think there's a better hot hatch on the road pal but it's you money bud

Have you actually spoke to Renault about the gearbox and manifold?

I've been here recently...

Got back from my wedding in September needing:

- A new manifold,
- New suspension bushes,
- New tyres,
- New brakes
- A full service

All totalling nearly £1500 by the time it's done but since I've started the process, I'm excited to get the car back on track.

Stick with it pal - bang for buck you won't get much more fun..

I've had a fair few BMs, Minis, VWs etc and I still enjoy jumping in the Clio everyday

Sorry to hear your thinking about selling up mate!! As people are already saying, you do get issues with other makes too. My brother bought a bmw 1 series and the money he spent on it in 2 year was frightening!! Also me and my mate are doin a homer on a mini and the repair on this is frightening too!! I personally would try your best to keep the clio for the sheer fun you get with it, you could by something else and have too put your hard earned £££ into that. Sometimes its just your luck!!

Option B gets my vote. We all know the issues with these cars & now your attending to them you may as well get some use from it.

I always look at repairs as a chance to upgrade...

For example i had to repair the leaking manifold so fitted the better flowing Toyosports model.
Had to repair the worn fabric on Recaro seat bolsters so updated to leather Recaros.
Had to replace worn mounts so fitted the better quality Vibra technics mounts.
Had to replace dead battery so fitted a lightweight drycell version.
My steering wheel is starting to wear so i'll recover it in better quality leather.
When my gearbox eventually goes (which im sure it will) i'll use the chance to fit a Quaife.

I dont see the point in replacing same with same so always try to turn a negative into a positive by using repairs as an opportunity to improve the car.
Of course i have always modified my cars heavily anyway so i am accustomed to money pits.
Good luck with finding a satisfactory solution to your angst.

Last edited:
Option B for me, once it's all fixed an you take her out on a B road or track you will remember why you got her!

Option B Pete, has to be B mate.

I'm sure Renault will contribute towards a gearbox and manifold replacement, they've done it in the past (outside warranty) why not now?

You are dealing with common faults mate, if you get these sorted then you shouldn't have anything else to worry about.

Yiannis, not common faults according to Renault tho. So the chance of me getting a contribution? Zero!

They are down as lifetime parts that last atleast 100,000 miles so they will contribute something. Only problem is, it will need to go to renault, you will have to have it diagnosed by a dealer who will report back to RUK who then negotiate with you and the dealer a "fair" outcome.

Yiannis, not common faults according to Renault tho. So the chance of me getting a contribution? Zero!

Is this your first Renault? bought from new? has it got renault service history?

Yes i have bags of renault history and my 200 was just out of warranty with full dealer history but i got 95% + free clutch on my box £220 iirc and my manifold i got 85% iirc which was about £160 for me to pay.