At A Crossroads, Need Some Advice...

Willis

The Gatekeeper
Platinum Member
Evening all!!!

Firstly, hope you're all enjoying this nice weather. :smiley:

Secondly, there's some good minds and good people on here and I'm in need of some advice.

I'll start this story, at the logical place, the beginning...

Late last August I was looking through the job sites, like you do from time to time, and I stumbled onto something that quite literally gave me ''the fizz''. There was a company local to me that specializes in the storage, movement and body/mechanical care of prestige cars. And by prestige, I mean PRES-MOTHER-F?CKING-STIGE. Not your M3 or AMG, more your F40, F50, 959, Miura, EB110 and so on and so forth. The position being advertised was for a HGV Class 2 Driver to aid in the movement side of the business. Needless to say, I applied...

It turned out that the owner is only 7-8 years older than myself and is a self-made man. He looks after the movement and conditioning side and his missus looks after the storage side. In the very first phonecall to them everything felt ''right'', instant rapport, good laugh, similar sort of outlook on life. Over the next few weeks I met them for drinks a couple of times and we discussed everything from cars, life, driving, families, it was like catching up with two old friends more than being seeded out as a prospective employee. Towards the end of September, an offer was made and I'd gained their trust and they took me to the store to have a look around and see what it was all about. Awesome doesn't describe it. They wanted me and the offer came in.

At the same time, my missus was just returning to work after her maternity leave and as you can imagine money was quite tight. The offer I recieved was for a gauranteed minimum 20 Hours per week and they matched my then hourly rate too. The likelihood was that I'd be working 40-50 hours per week from March-September but the nature of the beast is they have a quieter season through winter... On the table was also the offer of being put through my HGV Class 1 and being sent to Auto Glym to go through their training school in order that I could then take over the bodycare side of things instead of them using a third-party which they were doing. Unforunately, I had to decline the very generous offer because the 20 Hours per week minimum scared me. If I had a full month of 20 Hours I'd be struggling to pay my bills.

I was honest with them, and it broke my heart to turn it down. But they respected my decision and even more so my reasoning and we said we'd stay in touch and that there would always be the option of doing some weekend work for them through the summer to events such as Goodwood and Mille Miglia.

Fast forward to May 2012...

I started working at UPS at the beginning of April. I left a very good job and took a £6,000 pay cut to join them. I did this because they're a damn huge company and the future earning potential and indeed the future career prospects are literally limitless... Just ask Mike!!! :smiley:

Everything had been going fine, I'd had a few bad days, a few really good days and as a whole I'd had more good then bad. I suppose everyone has the odd bad day when they start a new job, no big deal, head down and get on with it. I was ''Top Of The Class'' in training school and all the other drivers have been really good to me and all of them have had time to talk with me and ask how I'm doing etc..

This week just gone, I've been unwell. I came down with a Synus Infection and this impaired my balance and eyesight. Pretty scary stuff. I'd had three days off work because of this. On my return to work on Wednesday, for some unkown reason three managers decided to take me into an office for an ''informal chat'' and what they actually did was attempt to goad me into biting or walking out. Telling me I'm ''too laid back'' and asking me ''do you think you could get your old job back''. I was sent home early from work and told to ''think about what you want to do and if you want to come back tomorrow and let us know''...

Now, the only reason we can figure out for this is because I stood up to one of the managers. A big tank of a man, ex-Army, nobody messes with him. But he was in the wrong and I didn't back down and he didn't like it. This is what we think is the catalyst for it all. I turned up for work on Thursday and was sent home after an hour. I turned up for work today and they lied about how much was on my van and I ended up being out for eleven hours in the baking sun.

But, today wasn't all bad...

I had a missed call and voicemail from the owner of the car place. I'd not spoken to him since Christmas time and I was a bit surprised to see his number... His voicemail was friendly as ever and he asked me to call him when I had a minute.

So I did. And isn't life funny somtimes? He's been getting aggro' from his missus for the last six months, everytime something is late or not quite to plan she's been giving him the ''wouldn't have happened if he was here'' line and he's been thinking it himself a few times. He's also realised that despite talking to a couple of other people, once you've had Willis, you don't go back. And he wanted to have a chat about maybe joining the team again. Now, seens as I have applied for eleven jobs since all the nonsense on Wednesday, he couldn't have timed this call any better!!! :smiley:

Now, tomorrow, I'm going with him to deliver a McLaren MP12. It'll give us a few hours to have a chat about everything and a catch up and in his words ''thrash out a f?cking long overdue deal''. I know the job is mine if I want it, which I do. He knows he has to meet my current basic salary and he knows I'll bite his hand off if he does.

Now the problem...

I'm working for one of the biggest companies in the world right now on very good money, money that will go up and up over the next year. I've been told by senior members of the training setup and senior drivers that I have the potential to carve out a very good career if I'm that way inclined and that I have more in my locker then being a driver for life.

But, they've treated me like sh!t.

And now, in my hour of need, I get this phonecall. For my dream job that I've kicked myself about turning down more times then I could even dare to put a number on. My only reason for not taking it last time was the money and the security money brings when you have a young child.

So, do I make the jump? Or do I get half my management team fired and stay put?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address. :smile:

Last edited:
Short but sweet, take the new offer from this car place, you don't often get two shots at a dream job mate. Just my advice on the matter. Good luck with whatever you choose

Cheers Chris. :smile:

That's been my thinking too, his call was totally out of the blue and I'm a big believer in fate and Karma and I just think that it's too much of a coincidence with everything that's gone on recently. I thought I'd lost my chance with them, but apparently I hadn't. I do think I could do well and go far at UPS but working with and around cars like that all day is a complete fantasy to most people, especially to me.

I'm a worrier though hahaha!!! :smiley:

Stay at UPS, the car company could easily go tits tomorrow up and them not have enough money to keep you on. UPS is a stable income even if your managers are ******s.

If you could do both, maybe drop some hours at UPS then do that. But I'd stay at UPS if I was you, I'll be surprised if the car thing is forever. Seems like a great opportunity, its just whether you can afford to take the risk.

your just a number in a big organisation and by the sounds of it its run by monkeys like most big parcel companies!!!

if the deals good for the car job take it!!!

you can use it for a bit of networking it could lead to even better things than parcels :wiz:

Cheers everyone, all opinions are appreciated as sometimes I think a reality check is
worthwhile.

Mr.F, you just want me to do it so I can send you dirty pictures!!! :smiley:

Chris, if the bills are paid and I've got some fun money left then that's enough for me. :smiley:

Jason, I completely understand what you mean and with the ever-changing state of the global economy there's not many companies out there these days that are a safe bet. UPS are certainly a giant in the grand scheme of things but nothing is untouchable. Unfortunately dropping hours would be a no-no, my only option would be to work Mon-Fri at UPS and then do the odd weekend with the cars. At that point though, I'd have little to no time with the missus or the lil'un. It's a good idea in theory and if I was single I'd try and wangle it that way...

Foxspeed, indeed you're not the first person to mention the networking aspect to me. Considering I'd be attending events such as Goodwood, Mille Miglia, Silverstone Classic, Nurburgring Classic in a working capacity there would be some degree of mingling involved both with clients and with prospective clients.

Work to live not live to work, if you are unhappy with the way UPS are treating you then stick two fingers to them and go with the new offer.

Not every day you get phoned about a job you rejected, take it as a sign lol

I would much rather be happy and be paid less than be paid **** loads and be treated like ****, effects everything in your life.

I would take the car job, obviously they need someone to work bigger hours than first proposed otherwise they wouldn't have called again. You seem to WANT that job while UPS seems to be something you NEED to pay the bills at the moment.

The instant thought for me is use the autoglym training and do a few private details a week to supplement cash flow should you need it

You've answered your own question in the first post mate...

The only real things about ups that were positive we're the money aspects, the positives about the car job is everything you mentioned about it...

How long have they been established for?
It seams like they have tried to do the job as a couple and they are growing too much....so that looks a good sign!

I'd leave UPS on a good note, don't leave when they ask you too...tell this car guy you really want it, but you need a couple of months to leave ups. And then take your time. Make it seam like your really trying to make a go of it, then in a couple of months tell them you are going to pursue a dream job (but mention it to a manager you get on with). Then if it all goes Pete Tong, they know where you were at, and it may be an 'in' back to ups, if worst comes to worst. Bt if you just go when they ask, you've left on a bad note, and no chance of a comeback. Burning your bridges and all that.

Just my 2p, but I would choose the car business personally :smile:

Matt, that's exactly my outlook on life mate!!! And like you say, second chances in life are rare. :smile:

Liam, there is always that option with the AG training. One of the reasons that was proposed to me in the first place was that I could then work on the cars with some backing/training behind me and when times went a bit quiet on the transport side of things I could bulk up my hours with detailing etc.. But yeah, there's always the option of having a bit of a side project with that one too.

Martin, they've been going for about seven years now. Bearing in mine they're both under the age of 35 and it tells you how well they've done. There's another full-time driver who's been with them for about four years but at the moment the owner is having to work 90 hour weeks to cover the rest of the driving as well as his admin side and general running of it all. Their schedule for the summer is rammed full, they've got a very very good reputation in some very very good circles and they've seen growth every year. There's always some doubt in mind with things like this, but it's a very big setup. They also import/export and source vehicles for collectors. Oh no doubt, if (most likey) I do leave UPS, I'll be doing it on the best terms that I possibly can.

Last edited:
Problem I see is that your current managers are going to make it seriously difficult for you to progress and you're relying on references from them. If they're all in it together then no number of formal complaints is going to sort it.

If I've read that correctly then there isn't much of a career path in the current job so I'd jump on the car delivery job

Cheers Ben. :smile:

Yeah that's something that I've thought myself. There's been trouble with the management at my centre for a while, since before I started, and there's a lot of unhappy drivers but the management seem to be made of Teflon. With what's gone on this week and at least one of the managers seemingly having taken a very big hump with me it'd hinder my future prospects unless he was removed from his position.

i would always take the jobs ive always wanted over money. I left a company after 4 year to see of the grass is greener and no it were, it was a 5k payrise too. in the end i went but to my old company. tho money makes the world go round, its not everything

As others have said opportunities rarely come around twice. Also sounds like you've had a difficult period with your health and that cannot have been easy having a unsympathetic employer.
I suggest speak to the people closest to you for their thoughts and opinions. Your Dad is a sound bloke and I'm sure he can give you a balanced view. If you do decide to stay, remember its not UPS that's the problem, its some of the employees that work for them. I sure you know this but the polices and procedures are there to protect you as well as them. These companies have large HR departments. You'll always find these kind of individuals within companies and its how you navigate round them is key. I'm sure those who are in senior positions would have had to do the same. Same if you end up leaving because of it, from our decisions sounds like there could be a number of developments internally that would over time become available to you. Without patronising you, you come across a smart lad, and thats why maybe the managers felt threatened by? Equally someone will recognise your potential, I sure of that. I wouldn't let these people stand in my way otherwise they'll be in court for constructive dismissal!!!!

If possible, before (if your) leaving resolve the matters in hand with UPS, cause you don't want to burn any bridges and you might need a reference in the future.

The offer from the new company seems timely and the company sounds progressive. However, although money isn't everything, its important with a young family and responsibilities. As is job security in this climate. Equally work conditions and work\life balance if the new job means a longer working week or time away from your family. You wouldn't want it impacting on your relationship.

Most importantly, being happy within work because we spend more time there in any given week than with our partners or family.....

Last edited:
Logistics makes the world work better! Are you sure you're working for UPS??? Lol! Well, like I said on the phone t'other night, I'm shocked at how badly you've been treated. Constructive dismissal!!! That would never happen at our place..

Do what you want to do! No one on a forum knows what you are really thinking. You can have all the money in the world, that still can't buy happiness! :smile:

if you've pissed off a manager you'll never progress as that seems to be the ups way of things.

Work at the car place and save hard when the 50 hour weeks come, just in case you get a few 20 hours together.

I was self employed for 5 years earning less than 15k but I enjoyed every single day and you can't put a price on doing a job you love

I'm in a different position, no mortgage, no kids and no ties, i'd jump at getting what seems to be your dream job.

But you having the young family need to know if spending weekends away in the best times of the year, the warmer months and the possibility of getting less hours in the worst times of the year, the colder damper months will affect family life.

Only you can decide, it seems to have come at the right time and if you belive in that sort of thing it's probably right for you but as has been said, try to leave on the right terms.

We'd all like to leave by ****ting on the bosses desk or punching them square in the face but the chance to get back there if it all comes to an end is the one you want.

If ever there was a head or heart decision, this is it. The lure of a second chance at a dream job will be very strong and there seems to be a proven track record but, where will you be in 5 years time? The problem with a small family business is there is little room for you to grow unless your long term goal is to start up your own business doing the same thing.

UPS is a giant and will be like a slow moving super-tanker in comparison but if your face fits, the potential is great. Don’t be put off by some low level, local management. You could be a lot further down the road in 5 years. As for leaving on good terms, although nice and you may get your job back at UPS in the future, you will seriously hinder your chances of promotion as you are not a ‘company man’.

I always find it useful to put myself in the employer’s position. If you were UPS, how would see an employee who left and wanted to come back?

I’m not saying don’t take the dream job, happiness has always been top of my agenda but before you act, plan where you will be in 5 and maybe 10 years and how you would get there. This should help you make the right decision.

Good luck

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bucko Clio 200 Area 9
H Clio 200 Area 0
chris1888-197 Clio 197 Area 2
cooper666 Spotted 0
Jesse James Spotted 8