Another "Removing/painting the grills" thread. :D

Raptor6767

Gold Member
Yes, there are dozens of threads like this on the forum, BUT:

I need the following info:

Did you use the primer and which?

The paint that you've used was (the brand/paint especially for plastic or not,...)?

I've found some useful info while searching for the tips like:

first find some primer thats suitable for plastics (not all primers are).
and spray on several thin layers dont try and do each coat in one go, do maybe 3-4 coats in each stage.

Always a good idea to sand the primer with some 1200 grit wet and dry (using water aswell) as it will smooth the surface out, if your primer coat is rubbish all the others will be

i would say preperation is the key -

make sure the grilles are cleaned/washed - you dont want any polish/silicones on the
plastic
make sure you use a quality plastic primer - take your time and read the instructions
do in doors/garage with a heat lamp on if possible as this will help to cure the paint faster
use as many coats (many thin ones than one thick one) to achieve the required finish as
there is no "ideal" amount on something like this as different paints cover at different rates

remember take your time

And the last question goes to the ppl that have done it:

HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE YOUR GRILLS PAINTED AND ARE YOU HAVING SOME PROBLEMS (like pealing paint, scratches,...the usual)?

TNX :thumbup:

I used a specific bumper paint for mine, didn't need to use any primer or lacquer and they look completely standard.

Heres some photos at the end of this post: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showpost.php?p=154386&postcount=2

I painted them I guess about 4 months ago and they're still perfect.

Thanks Ben that's really useful, I'm spraying some bits on the GF's Mini this weekend. I really like the finish you've got.

Sorry to swerve the topic slightly but how much were your carbon badges?

I had mine sprayed for me, but you will need to sand as much of the plastic texture off as possible if going for the smooth glossy look then use a plastic primer.

Had mine done 2 years ago and have had no problems with chips or flaking paint.

Will use this:

Used the same brand on Raptor's wheels and they're still perfect after 4-5 years.

It doesn't need any primer.

Current state they're in:

Clio-197-grills.jpg

Hopefully, will have pics of the "more representative" looking grills in a day or two. :wink:

Done:

IMAG0686.jpg

The diffusor is next in line...:wink:

EDIT: And another thing I wanted to mention - IMHO - the car looks great with the front removed. :smiley: It looks sooo much wider. :smile:

Sand, degrease really well, plastic primer, HB primer to take out some or most of the texturing where possible, 2k Dull coat (for dull finish) or clear coat (for gloss).

Done.

You can't probably see it as good as you could in the sun because it looks great in person. The original texture has remained (I gave it to the professional body shop) they did a great job!

IMAG0706.jpg

BEFORE:
26052010667.jpg

AFTER:
IMAG0705.jpg

Last edited:
All looking good! Done my grills too much better. Not too fussed on the diffuser tbh.

Good job!