Another rear view mirror thread

chrisga

Paid Member
My mirror fell off the other day, bought an auto dimming one to replace it but when I came to change it there is a ribbon of wire and a brown connector that look like they should be connected somehow but aren’t. Is it possible to reattach the ribbon to the small brown connector to allow me to plug it into the larger brown connector. I’m assuming they are for the auto headlights perhaps but not 100% sure?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 4FA2F32A-CB5B-49A8-8689-1F1FEC4B6925.jpeg
    4FA2F32A-CB5B-49A8-8689-1F1FEC4B6925.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
So its not the sensor for the auto headlights as went for a drive last night and they came on under a bridge so not sure what the sensor built into the rear view mirror plastic finisher is and whether it should be attached to the ribbon cable.

the plug will have to be opened up the ribbon cable trimmed up and the pins soldered back onto the copper metal strips as I don't think it's a clamp down plug looking at the picture opening up the plug will be the most vital part the roof loom connects behind the passenger A-Pillar but your problem there is ability to remove the passenger sun visor without damage along the cable . The picture the rain/headlight sensor is still attached those functions should still work looks like you have lost the temperature function for climate control. The auto dip mirror needs separate power to operate and the standard cables are not made for a Clio but the original cable from the Megane might be adapted. I have one of these mirror kits but never fitted it also make sure you dont fix the plug the wrong way round.

Ah thanks, thats useful stuff. The temp sensor for climate control makes sense. Do you mean don't reconnect the temp function plug the wrong way round? How do i know which is correct on the ribbon? Thanks again.

So got the internal connector out of the larger plastic part and the end of the ribbon cable that has pulled off is sort of bonded to the metal terminals somehow. Does anyone know if there is any way to reattach? Is it possible to buy a new connector and crimp it on to the cable somewhat? If not does anyone know how far the cable goes back to in the car (under headlining)? Can this be replaced easily?

Attachments

• CF5A25B7-4535-42CD-98C7-5F8BC14ED7CF.jpeg
    CF5A25B7-4535-42CD-98C7-5F8BC14ED7CF.jpeg
    903.2 KB · Views: 14
  • CCF46FAA-8D7B-4009-9FD6-EF51950DB317.jpeg
    CCF46FAA-8D7B-4009-9FD6-EF51950DB317.jpeg
    792.8 KB · Views: 15