Another rear pads and discs thread

So... Searched the forum quite thoroughly to find information about decent rear discs and pads for decent prices. Checked next day brakes, gsf and even ebay and eventually settled with a quote from my regular garage.

Ok so I know that the rears don't do too much of the braking (or so I've been told) and that the important piece is really the pads (so I've read). When my garage quote me roughly £385 for OEM rear pads and discs + fitting, I thought bloody hell! Time to get the wallet out! They did however come out with an alternative for around £240 which was much easier on the wallet and included ferodo pads (the basic ones) and brake engineering discs.

Has anyone had experience with these before and will they make a huge difference to performance? I won't be hitting the track anytime soon as have a few things to sort before then but will probably look to get some updated pads when it comes to that. They are solid discs like the Brembos and wouldn't have thought that the OEM ones would be much better but I may be wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What paddy said, I was in same situation as you, couple on here had just tried Mtec liked them, so I went with them all round. Worked out way cheaper than anywhere else, and you can get them in the black coating that keeps the bells nice and not corroded like my old ones were.

I thought as much but when checking on the website it states that they don't have the abs rings or bearings! Also the cheaper pads seem to be mintex (not good at all from what I hear) or EBC green stuff (decent as far as I know) and this comes to about £195 before any discount codes. Did you have to press the bearings into the mtec discs?

The garage has quoted me £70 to fit self provided parts so it will work out around the £270 mark which wouldn't be too bad but won't it cost more to have the bearings fitted? Are the mtec discs much better than these solid brake engineered ones?

I don't have the Mtec rears but it states 'fitted bearings and abs rings' on the website. Nothing wrong with Mintex pads for the rear either.

As for better I'd say the difference would be negligible performance wise but they certainly look better.

Nope, mine came with everything in. On the link paddy put they come with bearings and abs on the rear. If not give them a call.

Sent them a message via the website and will see what they say. No doubt the grooved and drilled discs look the part but gonna have to read a few more posts about them after seeing the Mtec review thread.

People are saying that they are a little loud and to be honest I'm getting the rears changed because they are fooked and making a squealing sound when stopping. I'll have to see, plus a close friend of mine has informed me never to get drilled discs as they are prone to cracking :S.

a close friend of mine has informed me never to get drilled discs as they are prone to cracking :S.

Not something I'd worry about. I've had drilled disks for years and never an issue. Also a lot of Mercedes come with drilled disks from the factory and I've not heard any issues with them. If they were so 'prone' to cracking I doubt they be fitting them. Personally the only time I've ever seen a drilled disks that's cracked has been on the internet and it's always the same pictures.

Cheers John and Paddy! Looked into it a bit more now and they confirmed that they do come with the bearings and that the :0 bearings and abs rings is just the way the data is presented from the database :S.

Ok so I have Non OEM disks and pads at the front (Delphi) as they seem to be decent enough and I was short on cash at the time. The disks are silver and solid.

To order the rear Mtec discs (will probably go for grooved or dimpled and grooved) is the same price as having the standard solid rear disks. Now here's the thing, I may be looking to purchase some Mtec disks for the front a little later this year but for now I would have solids on the front and rears with grooves. Will this look a bit stupid? I will be going for silver as well as can't really have black on the back and silver on the front. Or should I just not bother and stick with the brake engineering solid discs that my garage will provide?

What are people's thoughts? I think that right now I am probably more tempted with the Mtec disks as they look ace and could potentially have the improved braking or am I missing the point? Don't really want brakes that squeal like a braking bus though!

I currently have Tarox F2000 front disks (grooved only) that are coated silver and standard rear disks that are black. Looks just fine to me.

Not something I'd worry about. I've had drilled disks for years and never an issue. Also a lot of Mercedes come with drilled disks from the factory and I've not heard any issues with them. If they were so 'prone' to cracking I doubt they be fitting them. Personally the only time I've ever seen a drilled disks that's cracked has been on the internet and it's always the same pictures.

or due to age/rust....