ANOTHER Centre Box Removal Question.

This one regards warranty though.

Obviously this will void any warranty on the car's exhaust.
Question is, what's likely to go wrong?

One of the techs at Renault said if the manifold flexi pipe splits or the emissions warning light comes on, they'd have to blame it on the centre silencer being cut out.

My car was brand new back in November '12 and has just under 4 years warranty left.
How likely am I to encounter these problems?

Anyone had anything go wrong since having their silencer removed?

Gagging to get this done then a nice crackle map from RS tuning!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Removing the silencer is unlikely to make anything go wrong.

Whether your local renault would use it as an excuse to get out of doing work under warranty is any ones guess.

My centre box was removed and renault said nothing at all.

To be honest though warranty aside I personally wouldn't touch the silencer as it creates a noticeable flat spot.

Yes you should be well above 2500rpm to get the most out of the car but when driving around town and unable to rev the car it's a pain in the arse.

It sounds much nicerand pops and bangs but I'd rather have a quieter car with minimal flat spot.

Oh and the renault tech is talking out of his arse with regards to emissions warning light as the silencer has no effect on emissions.

I'd have the car mapped to get rid/minimise the flat spot. Also to improve the drivability.

The Renault guy just said "if the light comes on".
I did say that the silencer is after the sensor so it shouldn't effect anything before it.

He agreed, just said that Renault head office are extremely anal with warranty claims and will find a way to wriggle out of anything :001_rolleyes:

He's probably right, but I think it depends on the dealer you take it to.

I can only go on my own experience but the remap done next to nothing for me but the reason I done it was because so many people said the remap would practically remove the flat spot.

With regards to silencer you could always remove it and if the worst came and you had warranty work just pay to get it back on. It wouldn't cost much and would be worth doing if the warranty work was big.

I've been quoted the same price (£40) I paid to remove the silencer to get it back on.

So removing it is a bad plan ?

For sound it's not a bad plan at all. The flat spot annoys me enough that I will put the silencer back on.

When you're above 4000rpm it makes no difference at all, the car performs as it should and you get a nicer noise. But on short journeys where the car hasn't warmed up and I need to stay at low revs it bugs me i.e pulling away at roundabouts etc

I'd try it if I was you, if you don't like it then it's easy (and cheap) enough to put right.

Put it this way if there was no flat spot I wouldn't even hesitate in recommending it. Love the pops and bangs.

Last edited:
I had it done at K-TEC. It done nothing for the flat spot, infact it made it worse lol.

Luckily they'll give me my money back though.

That's not good. At least they gave you your money back though.

RS tuning say their map will sort this out. We shall see.

This silencer removing. Is hit and miss.

Some read say its really bad and awful

Then get some say it's noticable but not that bad.

Sounds like pop lluck to the above

I have my centre silencer removed and the flat spot is annoying. It's been said before pulling away from roundabout and at low revs is a pain but the sound is amazing :smiley:

Ye flat spot can be annoying sometimes when your cruising within the 2500 rev range then you have to floor it, and then bang flat spot, does sound amazing though!

Just done it myself, got myself some 63.5mm stainless steel piping and went for it! Sounds mint, flat spot isnt bad I dont think - get it done!

Got a quite from a garage to have a pice of pipe welded in for £30 .... He would rather weld it the clamp it! What are this disadvantages ? Also will it pass an mot

Got a quite from a garage to have a pice of pipe welded in for £30 .... He would rather weld it the clamp it! What are this disadvantages ? Also will it pass an mot

It'll pass an MOT.

I think it's a better idea to clamp though as it's easier and neater to reverse.