Addy's RB 200 Project

Welcome back and nice car [emoji1303]. Glad to see you’re looking after it well.

Cheers fella, glad to be back it has been eating me away haha. Appreciate it, I'm looking forward to getting this back up to tip top shape, lovely car just needs some true enthusiast love [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EthanMenace
A couple of little jobs as of recent, trying to time work with the weather. Always fun!

A touch dirty but not massively. Looks worse than it was however, replaced it for my own knowledge. I like to get everything checked off so I know myself when it was last done!

Old Pollen Filter out and new one in, unfortunately didn't get a picture of a tree worth of leaves in the footwell!

828b40d42fa5f5532bc06d2835d173b7.jpg

d4d41ef36245fd18867e8a9c6da1aa0d.jpg

I also replaced the TREs this weekend. Made this extra awkward by not having all tools to hand but it's done now! The OSF was shot as expected, knocking seems partially fixed. Maybe still there or I'm possibly just trying too hard to hear it still. I'll be able to tell after a bit more driving!

NSF was in good condition, albeit a bit aged but replaced it anyways as I had both to hand as thought it made sense with getting another alignment done, slightly out but booked in for that doing tomorrow.

5dbb013814e00b63eb757c5b0880515a.jpg

43058490f292270e0d77038da84a742e.jpg

1700aaff28ec7e6f28494b55bda45e60.jpg

0f0b3f0974f298bd5a446e346c6fb456.jpg

I replaced them with TRW ones, which I believe are the OEM equivalents? Made sense imo considering there was a £50 difference in each side. Crazy!

I'll report back after the alignment tomorrow.

Good work, i'm the same, do bits to know when it was last done!

Did you put the TRE collar onto the new TRE? (In that pic with both new and old, the old has a collar on it, did you put this onto the new TRE)?
Many people don't and can ruin the TRE.

Reactions: Addison
Good work, i'm the same, do bits to know when it was last done!

Did you put the TRE collar onto the new TRE? (In that pic with both new and old, the old has a collar on it, did you put this onto the new TRE)?
Many people don't and can ruin the TRE.

Costs a little extra to do so but it's nothing in the long run with the knowledge of what's been done imo, I absolutely love keeping track of history haha!

I did indeed, just never got a picture. The first came off pretty easily which is surprising since getting the TRE off on that side was a ballache. Then the complete opposite on the other side, TRE off easy and the collar wouldn't budge! In the end it couldn't withstand having it smashed out with the vice and hammer after cutting the TRE bottom off :smile:

Cheers for asking though, normally I forget silly things like that as I'm sure most do!

Reactions: suj
Costs a little extra to do so but it's nothing in the long run with the knowledge of what's been done imo, I absolutely love keeping track of history haha!

I did indeed, just never got a picture. The first came off pretty easily which is surprising since getting the TRE off on that side was a ballache. Then the complete opposite on the other side, TRE off easy and the collar wouldn't budge! In the end it couldn't withstand having it smashed out with the vice and hammer after cutting the TRE bottom off :smile:

Cheers for asking though, normally I forget silly things like that as I'm sure most do!

Exactly, some bits are cheap and worth it for peace of mind.

Perfect! I couldn't see it in the final pic (due to angle) so was just making sure, before you go for alignment. Tim Finch sells them on ebay if you ever do need any (link).
Yep I had same problem getting mine off, was a pisstake, but managed with a lot of swearing haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Addison
Exactly, some bits are cheap and worth it for peace of mind.

Perfect! I couldn't see it in the final pic (due to angle) so was just making sure, before you go for alignment. Tim Finch sells them on ebay if you ever do need any (link).
Yep I had same problem getting mine off, was a pisstake, but managed with a lot of swearing haha.

Definitely! Plus, I either spend it on car bits or something else and I'd rather put it in the car because I'm weird. :tearsofjoy:

I saw those, great buy as a spare for the future. May have to get a couple as I'll probably need them one day haha. Tell me about it, don't envy doing them again that's for sure. :flushed:

• Haha
Reactions: suj
Little quick one as I was dying to get this on, eager beaver and all that. Took me too long to fit this on the last car, feel stupid as this time it only took me about 45 minutes including cleaning it! :oops:

ac09dd67dbbe1145d340572b6c28cb98.jpg

496324e3b0f7317733f7f021c98ae2d9.jpg

2efb852003ca9ea2612dca4ec5b2eac6.jpg

079914c60e2201887c8f158b5cc18fd7.jpg

Spot on, too late to test drive. That's tomorrow's job. What kind of idiot fits essential parts on a school night? :wink:

What a day... Planned out with doing a gearbox oil change, powerflex rear shock bushes and replacing the bumper support panel and only got the gearbox oil changed!

As usual, began by getting everything out in the dry to begin and it rains. About right I suppose? Any who's, I decided to go with Castrol, I spent ages deciding on elf, castrol and redline. Whilst I would've preferred redline I couldn't help but feel being ripped off from buying three bottles (I'm northern, so I'm tight).

dc96aad1ff86c276ea1d36ae68ae9507.jpg

Crappy photo, but you get the idea. Old oil out, didn't look as bad as expected but still pretty minging. Few lovely metalitc sparkles too...

fbb1f9478f209cd4569c55eda4e351dc.jpg

I did buy a new sump plug, washer and filler cap and washer. Sump plug was perfect. However, the filler cap didn't fit? Has it been changed or have I just got the wrong part? A little bit strange, lost a little bit of oil to it but there's plenty in there. Just used the original filler cap.

6deeb67a5ef2887d55ee442479dc7994.jpg

Now for the nightmare. Decided to replace the rear shock bushes with the powerflex alternatives. All was good up until I needed to reassemble.

5df4b97f2478586a6dc1270eca8afb87.jpg

Not a huge difference, but fairly noticeable and as expected a hell of a lot firmer. When including the washers in the kit the threads don't sit high enough to allow the nut to fit back on the rear.

f9c9e7c2abca8cde35e7ff1eeb588c29.jpg

As you can see the thread just finishes before the nyloc on the nut. Gutted, messed about for ages trying to get these to fit as I just though they were extremely tight fitting. Definitely need a low profile nut for them regardless of what shocks you have. Top of the strut looks a bit rough now but I'm replacing the shocks so I'm not too fussed for now.

997e2d356de58a5f98394555d0c75aa5.jpg

So yes, original back on and unfortunately had a tragic loss amongst my battle with the strut.

a705be9e17b5481c515bfde478e7b622.jpg

Great way to finish the day. Thankfully nothing expensive broken. Just a bit miffed I only got the oil change done. Least I know next time that I just need the different nuts for the new bushes to fit.

Maybe will fit the new bumper panel tomorrow, we'll see!

How do you find the upper powerflex mount, has it increased vibration noticeably?

Doesn't bother me too much, there was an initial period with harsh vibrations for a few days but it's settled now. There's a bit more vibration though the cabin which can make odd trims rattle at certain RPMs, vibration through the wheel isn't too noticeable.

I guess it's down to what you want from the car I suppose, if you're wanting as much comfort as possible I wouldn't recommend it. I'd rather have it fitted personally knowing it will prevent future damage to other parts!

Finally a final update to the rear shock powerflex bushes solution!

So again, I had a bit of a headache with this. The OEM nut is slightly different to the M10 1mm nuts I got. It fits further down the thread however struggles to get started on the beginning tapered part of the thread.

So whilst these would work for my new solution too, I didn't see the point running both if the OEM nuts fit.

I'll continue further down on the way to get these to fit as you'd expect, I'm going to complete the full update on the full fitting now (as I got new shocks as mentioned previously).

52d26edea2c66c1f20bdfce7137ccc3d.jpg

New rear shocks from KAM, £100 for both delivered. Absolute bargain for a refresh as mine were okay condition just weathered and looked naff.

28ad2fdad73daccf52a9cd9035e43643.jpg

I think the 197 diffuser may differ slightly towards the rear side as on the 200 diffuser I had to remove it to make clearance to access the bolt properly. Strange as other guides I've seen can access it easily but they did have the 197 diffuser.

5973b8b431d86780daf755c629fcfa18.jpg

New VS old, OSR. Quite the difference and you can probably tell why I wanted to replace them.

c774a3a2cdff59ad79716de781c0cdd3.jpg

New shock seated with the powerflex bush.

378816dd6377d2236394606979fec451.jpg

I also coated both the shocks in ACF to protect them over winter. Hopefully they don't turn to dust as quickly as the others!

562a66870078d9da29fe42373c6ae32c.jpg

Right, so before I bore you before you get to the solution. Here's one. I cut the washers from my OEM bushes (not the new bushes ofc!) and reused these on both the lower and top side. Whilst using the OEM nuts these just clear the threads into the nyloc part. Ran these a couple of days with zero issues. I wanted the thread to be further through so here's solution two...

db4005eb494c9a9ab91b741a1b283919.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo, it's dark currently and hard to get a decent shot however you can see the thread difference. I'm using m10 washers 50x10mm these are just over half the thickness of the powerflex ones which allows that little extra for the nut which is just about perfect imo.

I'll see how these go but I can only imagine them being totally fine with how stiff the powerflex bushes are. I'm also going to revert to the powerflex washers on the lower which I'll do later on in the week!

d365672fd0bd60efef8843d1361addc2.jpg

I'll update in a couple of weeks if there's any changes but I don't imagine much!

Last edited:
Nearly 2 weeks now with the rear bushes on the thinner washers (I have yet to change the lowers to the powerflex from the OEM ones yet) and they're still absolutely spot on. Done around 500 miles and not had any issues so fingers crossed it continues :french:

I'm now beginning my next task, here's what I've accumulated so far. I wonder if anyone can guess!

1FBB7DAC-91FF-48DB-925B-B977B2EA92BE.jpeg
9C8C9530-2658-4299-A12F-3F396647D9D4.jpeg

I do not envy you at the thought of fitting that... we spent far too long just trying to fit an RSmonitor which looked much less complex than that. Hopefully it goes smoothly for you!

I do not envy you at the thought of fitting that... we spent far too long just trying to fit an RSmonitor which looked much less complex than that. Hopefully it goes smoothly for you!

It's not too bad to be honest, just a fair bit of work to do and a nightmare part sourcing! The painful bit is getting the loom broken down as there's so much unneeded stuff.

I got it all working in the previous car but never fitted the microphone which I'll be doing this time as it was a pain with phone calls haha

Reactions: EthanMenace