Addy's RB 200 Project

For anyone interested, I contacted powerflex regarding the upper engine insert. This was the response from them.
There’s definitely something wrong there, it looks like the centre post has been put in the mould wrong and the position of the hole has changed.

What’s your address and I’ll organise to send you a new one out?
Hopefully a replacement arrives shortly and I will have a look and see if the fitment is still the same. There's clearly something off with the design as many people are having issues with it.

Reactions: suj
For anyone interested, I contacted powerflex regarding the upper engine insert. This was the response from them.

Hopefully a replacement arrives shortly and I will have a look and see if the fitment is still the same. There's clearly something off with the design as many people are having issues with it.

@burrellbloke could this be the issue you're having?

@burrellbloke could this be the issue you're having?

Well, I was struggling to get the insert down one side of the mount, but it did look like the square hole was not going to line up.

The spare eBay Renault engine mount is going to turn up by the end of the week (hopefully). I will put the insert in to the freezer smear some white grease all over the contact areas before I try and squeeze it in. If it does not go in I will speak to PowerFlex. I bought the insert around July or August 2020 so I hope they have not been selling the wrong design for the past year or so.

@Addison Was your engine mount a violet one - did it have a thin strip of violet/purple colouring at the top of the square edge that butts up against the engine where the screw passes through?

Well, I was struggling to get the insert down one side of the mount, but it did look like the square hole was not going to line up.

The spare eBay Renault engine mount is going to turn up by the end of the week (hopefully). I will put the insert in to the freezer smear some white grease all over the contact areas before I try and squeeze it in. If it does not go in I will speak to PowerFlex. I bought the insert around July or August 2020 so I hope they have not been selling the wrong design for the past year or so.

@Addison Was your engine mount a violet one - did it have a thin strip of violet/purple colouring at the top of the square edge that butts up against the engine where the screw passes through?

That's right, mine is also the violet mount. It didn't align with the metal bush on the mount at all. I should've taken a picture after I pushed the insert over it tbh but I was so wound up at that point I just threw it on the car.

8AC363C9-445A-43B0-98D5-85914B29BE92.jpeg

Mine struggled to go in the thinner edge of the insert also, if you compare it to the pictures of the insert below (found on an older thread on a different forum) it does look to sit in a slightly different location and it sits on the engine as you'd expect it to.

9C0B734B-0B95-4C5D-BB93-C8D1D053F406.jpeg
0C5EF781-948D-41CB-B6CF-1D45043002C9.jpeg

I'm really not sure what's happened and why nobody else has questioned them on it! I genuinely tried everything when fitting it. It took a good few hours of trying and it wouldn't sit correctly at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: suj
Lovely car, RB is incredible!

I don't suppose you have a link to the stubby aerial you used do you? My aerial's been bent by the cup spoiler - makes the car look like a big RC model :laughing:

Lovely car, RB is incredible!

I don't suppose you have a link to the stubby aerial you used do you? My aerial's been bent by the cup spoiler - makes the car look like a big RC model :laughing:
Mine was similar, although there's paint rub on the spoiler from years of it touching. Had to switch it instantly. Aerial works fine whenever I've used it, but I hardly use the radio in fairness. It was more to save the spoiler!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JHMTVYN/?tag=clio197-21

Mine was similar, although there's paint rub on the spoiler from years of it touching. Had to switch it instantly. Aerial works fine whenever I've used it, but I hardly use the radio in fairness. It was more to save the spoiler!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JHMTVYN/?tag=clio197-21

Perfect, cheers for the link. I've got a DAB aerial in the windscreen anyway so it's not a major issue if the reception is bad, it's more to tidy the looks up.

So happy to be writing this post. I've been ripping my hair out for the last two weeks finishing the satnav install.

Let's just say that if everything could've gone wrong it had!

It all begins here, glovebox and center console out. It made it a little trickier this time by not having as much out but it was worth it when putting the car back together.

31A88BCC-7F7C-4EC0-865D-5B18CCFBD269.jpeg

New loom into the car for the satnav. There's a little extra on there for other things as a fail safe as I wasn't sure on a few things. Luckily everything is fitted standard on the 200FF, microphone, aux and everything for the steering wheel controls.

1E361DA1-A02F-43E9-A48E-318FFA57F934.jpeg

Everything tapped for the radio side. Yes, I know scotchlocks. I may replace them in future but I'm probably lying to myself. They were quick and made a tricky job a little less problematic.

68A9FD30-2239-4342-850C-5AB493216AF6.jpeg

CAN connections tapped on the OBD port. I forgot to picture the power iso (duh) but there's only two wires tapped from there for power and speed signal, the ground connection was taken from the bolt to ground at the back of the radio.

28D0D290-FC9B-4BCD-8597-35D5DA6222BC.jpeg

Then the headaches begin... We have power and all connections getting signal. Radio isn't displaying any info or working at all for that matter and GPS isn't picking up my location. This is when I began to panic :flushed:

FDF95034-6AE6-4E94-8982-0A6B9AE47999.jpeg

After testing the old radio now instead of the new we got radio info and the radio fully worked. This is where it also gets slightly confusing. It looks like with the two versions of the satnav (live and non-live) these are also configured to work with different radios. How these were specced from factory I don't know but it got me frustrated for sure.

At first I was lead to believe it was a dodgy radio, @lewishunter98 kindly lent me his radio to test, I was pumped about finally getting it to work as I thought the hardware was out dated on my radio. I got that one plugged in, again nothing. I think I caused @link several migraines in the process of this as we couldn't figure it out, we tried seperating CAN connections at the radio as we thought the car was getting confused but still nothing.

I took a trip down to him to bash heads together to see if it was something diagnostic level or any dodgy wiring. After a quick hardware swap that's when we finally put it down to the satnav not communicating with the radio, thank god! Managed to get a sly photo :laughing:

83749EA8-A6C5-4085-96D4-C27490E6D89B.jpeg

Today my new satnav display arrived, plugged in and radio info is displayed. At this point I'm over the moon, then I'm greeted with this.

25B5B2DB-89DE-4465-A9FC-4C23D271805D.jpeg

At this point I'm absolutely livid. It's just one hurdle after another. Thankfully after some good old fashioned reading I fell onto the TomTom forums with similar errors, I wiped my SD card and signed up, connected my device to the account and started reinstalling everything, I contacted one of the mods on their forum and they kindly provided the maps for free (obviously not the newest versions) but I'm just glad I didn't have to pay anything to get them working!

18536765-E35E-47EA-AC67-EA998207DC57.jpeg

I even whipped up a custom little icon to match the car, RB with GT lights. Proper chuffed. :french:

Anyways, you're probably bored of reading my moaning and groaning at this point so he's the final product. Once again, thanks to Lewis & Link. Everyone on this forum is great and they are always happy to bend over backwards to help, I love it!

546F921E-4EF6-4D15-BF82-EA345B5F281C.jpeg
C2DC70B7-377F-42A2-ADA9-545E6EBA7877.jpeg
8D4CE00B-BD14-478F-A08E-6AB73E39F8DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Nightmare! Glad you're up and running now. I just hope I don't have the same sort of problems when tinkering with mine [emoji23]

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Addison
Nightmare! Glad you're up and running now. I just hope I don't have the same sort of problems when tinkering with mine [emoji23]

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Yours should be easy in comparison haha, hopefully you can get away with just putting in the radio and monitor then configing on CLiP :sweatsmile: