8000rpm 197

I had only stock cars in mind :biggrin: there is much more to this but I didn't want to bother with the "details". There are two different ways you can go to limit the revs. Either you go for spark retard or fuel cut. Both can be programmed very specifically and here you have the lower/upper rev limiter too so you can set the limiter just the way you want / need (different EMS have different options).

You can set the rev-limiter to be very "gentle" so when you reach it there is no sudden stop of the power going to the wheels.

If your powerband goes all to the rev-limiter then why do you have it there? At some point the engine losses power due to weight of the components, the VE, cam duration/lift,...etc. and personally I would or better I'm going to put the rev limiter on my project car 200-300rpm after the car reaches it's peak power so if I miss to shift at the right time I still won't be hitting the limiter. The engines momentum will drive it does few revs higher so the power-drop won't be so huge after reaching it's peak.

Could go on but then this would become a novel :lol:

I know!!! You dont need to tell me!

I have it there as I dont need it any higher, not good for engine life no matter what anyone thinks, a mate of mine runs a Clio X85 Cup racer and also wrote and built my ECU. He knows more than all of us put together!

100rpm vs. engine life - don't think that's such a problem tbh we're not talking about much higher revs. Let's say that with different cams the engine would reach its peak power at 7500rpm then if the engine is revving at 7500rpm one piston does 23.241 meters per second and at 7600rpm 23.551. That's not such a huge difference which would lower the life span of the engine. You wouldn't get over 7500rpm often as you'd shift at 7500rpm and the extra 100rpm would only be there if you missed a shift - just thinking loud I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your setup m8.

I know every driver prefers his own setup hence that's why you have it like you do :tongueout:

Didn't mean to upset you :blink:

As for revving it very high 8000rpm+ (ontopic again :lol:smile: I'd be more concerned with the oil and water pump cavitating then the engine parts. Does anyone have info on this - when does this happen with the pumps in the Clio engine?

Last edited:
And I still cant crack 204 with the same mods and aftermarket ECU!!

We need to get these back to back on the rollers I think!

Lol kev i've got a little something myself in the pipelines atm so watch this space. ( Maybe not as impressive as your work though before people get excited lol ).

STOCK Clio 197 likes revving @ 7500rpm - then it is the fastest - you only have to watch out for the limiter - if you reach it - you lose time like Kevo said!

That's the "secret" why am I the fastest in anyone's 197 - I drive it to the limit when others change gears @ the shift light. It's there just to warn you to PREPARE for the shifting.

Now my rev limiter is @ 8000rpm but I STILL DRIVE IT to the 7500-7600rpm. It looses power later, and when you change gear, you loose 500rpm of usable torque.

100rpm vs. engine life - don't think that's such a problem tbh we're not talking about much higher revs. Let's say that with different cams the engine would reach its peak power at 7500rpm then if the engine is revving at 7500rpm one piston does 23.241 meters per second and at 7600rpm 23.551. That's not such a huge difference which would lower the life span of the engine. You wouldn't get over 7500rpm often as you'd shift at 7500rpm and the extra 100rpm would only be there if you missed a shift - just thinking loud I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your setup m8.

I know every driver prefers his own setup hence that's why you have it like you do :tongueout:

Didn't mean to upset you :blink:

As for revving it very high 8000rpm+ (ontopic again :lol:smile: I'd be more concerned with the oil and water pump cavitating then the engine parts. Does anyone have info on this - when does this happen with the pumps in the Clio engine?

Cavitation is a gradual problem, there isnt really an everyday rpm limit,

suffice to say its not a problem ive encountered on either pumps.

Cavitation is a gradual problem, there isnt really an everyday rpm limit,

suffice to say its not a problem ive encountered on either pumps.

Great 8) had the 2.0TS engine in my Alfa and beyond 7500rpm the waterpump made problems :sleep: just wondered how it is with the Clio :biggrin: