8000rpm 197

My 197 revvs at 8000rpm. But I change gears @ 7600rpm, and the first gear at 7800rpm.

Found out that it's faster when changing gears @ 7500-7600rpm, than @ 8000rpm, and not healthy for the engine either.

I cringe everytime i see the shift light lol, let alone take it any higher!

You're like the most 197 drivers - that's why you're slow.

When my car was stock I was always changing gears @ 7500rpm (when you get the feel of it, it's not hard). And I always won the races with other stock 197. ALWAYS.

I know but i fear about blowing my engine up lol.

Thats why i keep in under 2000rpm for the first 20mins, change the oil every 3000miles and never try to abuse it.

fair enough on letting the engine warm up. But the Clio engine needs and loves abuse mate. our 182 gets loads of abuse and it pulls so well

Lol same internals as the race car?

I guess if that can put up with a season of abuse then the road cars gonna be fine.

the 197 engine is used in the clio cup racers and I believe its used in the formula renault cars aswell. I know that BPM race spec Clio came first in its class at the brit car 24 hour race with a standard 197 engine.

It can take the abuse mate :smile:

I know but i fear about blowing my engine up lol.

Thats why i keep in under 2000rpm for the first 20mins, change the oil every 3000miles and never try to abuse it.

How do you manage that?

Take it you don’t go on any 60 / 70mph roads seeing as they sit at 3,500 @ 70mph in 6th.

Good on you for being able to do that but I know I would never be able to do that, warmed up and kept below 3,500 for 10-15min then it gets driven how it was made.

I've only given mine 5000 easy going miles though and it sounds like a blowy, rattly bag of shit lol.

the rattle will be due to the cam profile

as for changing oil every 5k it wont stop an engine letting go

and cup racers have uprated big end bolts

mad yeah i'm the same as most first 10-15 mins till gets to a proper temp about 3500/4000 then depends how i feel if i give it some right time and a place........and this time of year reli isnt the time tbh unless you wanna be in the ditch and thats the place:wink:

Drive it like you should, balls in mouth and loads of revs! :smile:
I'm the same, let it warm up, then redline here we come. Love it when the needles bouncing off the limiter and going 'bah bah bah'!

It's made to be driven hard so I just aim to please :smiley: