279 bhp. Really??

Yiannis197

Paid Member
Ok people, as I was browsing on youtube I accidentally came across this video. Apologies if this has been posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2B5Lkp0Au8

Is that truly possible? 279bhp? I don't know much about engines but from what I've read in the forums the F4R engine is not quite famous for being easily ''tunable'' is it?

If so, what kind of work is required for such output to be achieved? I would think 5 digits??

And who are these ''Ashford'' motorsport guys? I haven't heard anything about them at all.

I think Super 2000 spec cars are around that figure so for a 2.0 NA engine it's possible though no idea for an F4R, they've probably replaced everything apart from the block.

I bet it'd be a git to live with in a road car though.

I think Super 2000 spec cars are around that figure so for a 2.0 NA engine it's possible though no idea for an F4R, they've probably replaced everything apart from the block.

Yes, I've seen 2.0 N/A engines producing nearly 300bhp (I still remember those cosworth ones with throttle bodies and sound straight from paradise) but from a F4r...if this is true then they must have replaced everything indeed!!

Vtec 2 litres will happily tune to over 300bhp N/A if you've got the dosh.

With a high enough compression, wild cams and dizzy rev limit running race fuel I could see this being realistic. Never gonna be suitable or affordable for road users though.

You just need to make it rev to about 9200rpm. Easier said than done ofcourse but a torque figure of 160lbft (which the 200 has) at 9200 gives 280bhp. (crudely rounded)

You'd also need increase the gear ratios to fully feel the benefit. You'd still want to be topping out in each gear like you do standard. Problem with that is MPG would be horrific!!

Last edited:
Indeed. we are talking about N/A engines, much less for the F4R which is not famous for it's ''ability'' to produce big outputs

I don't think "abilty" has anything to do with it. Its more down to more people tuning ford/vauxhall/VAG engines.

People say the F4R does not tune very well but RS Tuning are running a R26.r at close to 500bhp.

Put £10k in a 200 or £10k in a Fiesta ST and the power will be similar.

As Ben sayed no problem on a K20.
Friend of mine has 269BHP on a B Series engine (also 2.0)

Love the VTEC engines :headphone:

The description says all you need to know about the engine in the vid:

F4R engine with High Comp Pistons, Staged 8 Injecter set up, All steel engine, 6 bar fuel pressure.

AKA - TUNED!!!!

theres a 197 just shy of 300bhp N/A which belongs to a member on here :wink: although he never comes on anymore :worried:

The description says all you need to know about the engine in the vid:

F4R engine with High Comp Pistons, Staged 8 Injecter set up, All steel engine, 6 bar fuel pressure.

AKA - TUNED!!!!

yes, noone said that this engine is NOT tuned. It is tuned indeed, but because I don't know much about engines/tuning I was just wondering if this figues CAN be realistic when we talk N/A F4R. Not Vtec or ford, just N/A F4R.

If so, this is a very good project I believe and well done to the tuners. It's weird though that these guys haven't been mentioned in the forum at all. Has anyone in here done any work on their beloved clio to them?

theres a 197 just shy of 300bhp N/A which belongs to a member on here :wink: although he never comes on anymore :worried:

Really? bloody hell that must be mental! Couldn't find anything on ''project'' section...I'd love to know what kind of work is entailed for such output..

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N New Members 15
M Clio 200 Area 2
Cjmeek eBay Finds 6
Rogue R27 Register 0
BREENY BOY Clio General Chat 33