200T + RSTuner (FastChip)

Hi, I've ordered RSTuner Kit from FastChip for my Clio IV EDC and it hasn't been smooth so far. Their support is not really helpful (I only get canned responses now) so I thought I'd ask here.

I've received a box with VCI (the hardware) and was able to install RSTuner software on my laptop and connect it to the car just fine. I can "Read ECU" which creates a *.rst file (around 2 MB) and "Read CAL" which creates a smaller *.cal file (around 250 kB).

Then I wanted to map the car but for that, I need the map files. (Quite obviously now but I though I am purchasing the complete package that included everything, inside the box.) So I filed a ticket at FastChip website and got back the message that I first need to update the ECU software at my dealer's. That was Friday and I really wanted the map to be ready for a trackday that weekend so I asked why can't they just send me the RST file which I believe is a complete, byte-by-byte image of the ECU software so that I could replace the software using RSTuner, not by visiting a dealer. Since then, I only get "please return your kit for full refund" canned response and not a single word of explanation or advice. Very strange.

So to the questions:

1) Am I right in thinking that RST is the complete image of the ECU? If so, why would I need to visit the dealer? Anyway, I wrote Henk a couple of times already that I am willing to visit the dealer and get my ECU updated, he still wouldn't send the map files.

2) CAL is just some bytes of the ECU, i.e. not the complete ECU software, just those bytes that need to change for the car to become mapped. Is that right?

3) Previously, the RST and CAL files were probably listed in the customer zone - at least it is still referenced in the FAQ, at some past posts in this forum etc. I guess that customer zone is gone now, right? The only way to get those files is to write an email / file a ticket at FastChip website, right?

4) If you have FastChip / RSTuner applied to your Clio 200T, any word of advice that would be helpful? I'm really keen to get this working but I don't know if I can proceed if Henk wouldn't reply to my emails.

Many thanks.

The fact that you not getting replies after spending that kind of money is shocking. I was looking into ordering one but I'll just wait to hear the outcome of this.

This Henk from Fastchip is a very funny dude. Sent a few enquiries to him to ask if he is able to increase rev limit for me. His answer is 'Honda'. So much for customer service.

While my friends has successfully tuned to rev up to 8500rpm with DMS.

BTW, is here a Clio 200T owner with his/her car mapped? Which ECU software version did you have? I have version 7100 and the dealer is telling me that this is the up-to-date version but Henk is telling me that it is too old. Wondering where's the truth..

Hi,

I have a map from henk running since april. All conversation happened reasonably fast:

april 18th - got the hardware; mailed henk the current ECU version (7000-A330) and requested VCI unlock code
april 20th - got reply to update ECU to current version
april 28th - finally got the ECU update from the dealer; sent screenshot for verification to henk
april 29th - henk supplied new fastchip windows software and VCI firmware for installation and asked for a copy of current ECU file; henk mailed me unlock code
april 30th - henk sent me the new performance CAL

that being said, I have to add that it seems that henk is only replying to email once you actually placed an order. In march this year I sent an email to info@fastchip.nl asking if the device even supports the 200t yet. after I didn't get an answer for a few weeks, I decided to blindly place the order. then conversation went smoothly as shown above. once the new cal has been delivered, he even answered two questions regarding boost (I recorded 1,5bar pressure and asked if this is still ok) until I was satisfied. BUT when I replied to the existing mail thread once more on Jun 19th to ask if it was possible to get a custom map for a friends 200t with custom exhaust and some other mods, I never got an answer back. the mail remains unanswered still today.

so yes, it seems that customer service is no longer his strong suit and reduced to the bare minimum. but I have a hard time blaming him. some of you who were already around back in ~2008 might remember that he was quite active in the forums and very helpful until a flame-war came up here and also in other forums because some people apparently were unsatisfied with his product. that was around the time when he basically got fed up and started neglecting people. i had a nice discussion about this back in 2009 when I was emailing him about a map for my twingo RS...

Do you know which version was the pre-map, after-dealer-update one? I've got 7100 and that wouldn't work with RSTuner but my dealer is telling me that there is no newer version. Confused..

yeah, sure. the update from april was version 8000-A481 and is the one on which my performance CAL is based

meanwhile it seems there is an even newer version out which takes care of the random power-loss problems many people (in the german forums) suffer from. I have no idea about the new version number.

what I do know however is that my dealer also told me that "there was no new version that can be applied" after he checked for updates for my VIN on his computer. But it seems this only shows mandatory updates. So I told him to just hook up the CLIP diagnostic computer to the car and check there and voila! updated ECU and gearbox files were available.

once you got your update let me know about the current version number, please.

Crap, I've just sent the Kit back as Henk threaten not to refund me if I don't send the package soon. However, I really lost trust in the RSTuner Kit already because I don't want to be in the hands of someone who will not even bother to reply to my emails / provide files I have paid for. On the other hand, I am kind of sad that this didn't work out - I was looking forward to a new life in my Clio.

I've also tried to contact Paul from rstuning.co.uk as on the this page: http://www.rstuning.co.uk/shop/remote-ecu-remap/fastchip-rs-tuner-rs-tuning-slave/ it looks like the underlying hardware is exactly the same. I've asked him whether I could purchase just the map from him but unfortunately, that's not possible. But if he confirms that his Kit will work on my car, with my current software, I'll probably purchase this from him.

BTW is all this trouble really worth it? Is the mapped Clio miles better than the stock one? I've read only good things about the maps so far but maybe the owners are just exageratting a little bit out of the first excitement? (Just asking.)

it really seems to be a rebranded rstuner unit. I'd ask Paul how he justifies the 100 % markup over the fastchip.nl version... 346eur vs. 594gbp is heavy for the same piece of kit including map...?

I bought my rstuner a couple of months back and found Henk very helpful. He sent me the upgrade to A481 and when i confirmed the upgrade sent me the stage 1 map (which is fricking amazing). The car is far more smother and responsive when the throttle is pressed.

Does he send only CAL files or also the RST files? Why can't I upload any ECU software using RSTuner PC app and have to upgrade at my dealer first? Doesn't make much sense to me.

A481 sounds more like the calibration version than the software version. The A481 you mention was a *.rst file or a *.cal file? Still trying to wrap my head around this.

ive found in the past that henks maps are second to none, the 172/182 setup is quick and easy and fantastic. However I used him for a 1.2 turbo twingo GT and had loads of issues, he originally blamed my car so I went ahead and changed a few bits and still the same problem, I got an abusive email from him after venting my frustrations on cliosport too as I was getting no where.

however he did in the endup give me another map that solved the problem and it was very good! I later heard of a few people with the same engine having the same problem!!

I used RS Tuning for my next map on another twingo TCE and they used an RSTuner with henks software to upload their own RS Tuning map as apparently its the best way to safeguard their map from being stolen! makes sence.

have you considered the superchips option? http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=29&fueltype=3&model=115&variant=2852 ive used their software on a few of my cars and been really impressed, got it on both me and the Mrs DCi Clios, my old banger and her new mk4 one

I have but there have been couple of reports that BlueFin's software is a bit problematic. Maybe they've fixed that since then, I don't know, but RSTuner is supposedly the safer (and better) option. Just the support is not good at the moment.

lol why your all spending so much on flash maps baffles me im running a flash map on mine 210bhp @ wheels and 311nm this is from an independent rollers and i paid £160 for the map.
I will look to spend more when the car goes for full mapping but im only running induction and an exhaust so i don't see the need yet for a custom map.
got to ask is it really worth the addition £300 for a flash ?

Good question, and I'm asking it myself. The proposition of RSTuner Kit and the like as I see it is that while it is more expensive,

1. You get to change maps as often as you like and you can return to the stock one if there are any issues with the tuned map
2. If there's an improvement to the map, they will send you the updated version and you can upgrade free of charge
3. I often do not trust the small local shops. They will not tell you how they "developed" the map and I am often suspicious whether it has been tested on the specific model at all.

Good question, and I'm asking it myself. The proposition of RSTuner Kit and the like as I see it is that while it is more expensive,

1. You get to change maps as often as you like and you can return to the stock one if there are any issues with the tuned map
You can do this with a £160 quantum map just need to go see the dealer (I now run another brand on mine)

2. If there's an improvement to the map, they will send you the updated version and you can upgrade free of charge
Same thing goes ?
3. I often do not trust the small local shops. They will not tell you how they "developed" the map and I am often suspicious whether it has been tested on the specific model at all.
Ill use quantum again as theres was the first one i put on the t they use small independent who send the map to them to create quantum are a global company so much large than either of said compnays?

that said i would always advise having a full custom map doing but seem these days were a little thin on the ice for mapping in the ren sport world lol

Similar Thread Suggestions