2006 Deep Black Track Shed BudgetBoltOnBuild

So I was pretty knackered when I wrote that post last night..

Jobs left to do (More for my benefit so I don't forget to do something);
Finish rebuilding the driveshafts and refit them.
Gearbox oil.
Drop the front struts off and change the springs to the softer ones I've bought.
Finish cutting the rusty outriggers off the rad support as they fell apart.
Double check wiring and sort any snags.
Spanner check while I have access (and re-fit the starter heatshield!)
Fit up the hoses, re-fit the core support and radiator, fill and bleed the system.
Rebuild the front end.
Abuse.

Once this is done I'm planning to pull the old engine apart and see if I can find what was making the grim noises. I think I'll be stripping off the new parts that have been recently fitted (dephaser solenoid, pulley, injectors, coils and water pump), then I'll likely take the original cams out to sell to a MK2 owner if they're in good shape. I've now got a stack of spares in the garage so everything is going to get cleaned up and bagged to keep it clean and dry once I work out what I need to keep.

Productive day today. CV joints re-packed with grease and driveshafts fitted, gearbox filled with fresh oil and a spanner check done, no real issues other than the O/S driveshaft being an absolute cu... pain in the bottom. Next up was fitting the coolant hoses, modified rad support and radiator.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-21 at 17.20.24_a21c4ae5.jpg

Had a bit of a scare when the car decided it was overheating, mainly because it refused to bleed the coolant from the thermostat housing, I thought I was loosening off the wrong bolt so I kept loosening... Then hot coolant went abso-fucking-lutely everywhere :tearsofjoy:

Disaster averted, got it all bled up and left it running for a good 15-20 minutes. Topped the coolant up after losing a load onto the floor.

This was how the car was left when I called it a night tonight.
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-21 at 18.50.25_67301040.jpg

Last jobs to do now...
Subframe brace to re-fit.
Front wheels back on.
Bumper on.
Road test.

All ready for Snetterton on Thursday? Fingers crossed!

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-26 at 13.06.52_da46b933.jpg
It survived!

Had a few minor jobs to do during the day, had a bit of a temperature spike on the first hot lap so dived into the pits and bled that off (airlock in the system, I knew there was one as it was a pain in the arse to bleed the other day). The clutch bite point is a bit low so bled the clutch again which has improved it but still doesn't feel quite right. More investigation needed.

427940ae-d7ed-4f97-a6f5-2463bf137bd0.jpeg
A moderately sideways @EthanMenace in the last session of the day. We'd been lucky that the weather held out for the most part, it was supposed to rain all day but we somehow stayed dry until about 3:30, then the rain hit. It was a quiet day anyway and this downpour meant that at most, there was only about 4 cars on track!
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-26 at 19.07.11_69022cb5.jpg
Steering angle for entry into Bombhole wasn't great...

In other news, the car now has an MOT too. So it'll see some road miles to try to sort the suspension out as that's all over the shop now as it's been apart loads of times, tweaked, adjusted and generally fucked about with. I need to ideally return it to a baseline and work from there, I think running the car as low as it is has messed with the roll centre a bit, the car doesn't seem quite right at the minute. We'll see how it all goes!

Last edited:
glad car survived mate and you all had a good day!
Your mate Wes’s car looks mint on red wheels.
Gutted I couldn’t make it.
I wasn't sold when he bought them but they're slowly growing on me. Any other colour car and they'd look shite I reckon. He got a bargain with those though, they're 8j Cup Racers and the AR-1s were practically new, they still had the little mould nubbins on.

Some pictures from Snetterton.

54023233957_bdd20ed7b9_o.jpg54023237382_69bc89e2cd_o.jpg54023238312_9220634ec1_o.jpg54024469009_2f2b231ec9_o.jpg54024143036_349a0fdba5_o.jpg54024380493_0068c71cfe_o.jpg

As it stands there's no immediate plans for more trackdays, there's a couple of potentials but nothing set in stone yet. There is a possibility of a trip to Scotland to go around Knockhill on the 16th Nov but that's still in the planning phase.

Small updates.

First up, I've been bullied by @RSRowe in booking Oulton Park in December. (And by 'bullied' I mean he sent me a message saying "Fancy a Christmas trackday?". That's basically bullying.) Circuit Days - 6th Dec

Secondly. The car was miserable on the road and the front end was a bit pushy at the last trackday, so I've raised the car up by about 20mm up front, the rears need work though as the coilovers are a bit seized.
PXL_20241019_125743527.jpg
Preferred the look of the car when it was decked but it's a struggle to get out of the driveway...

Last up. After seeing a few videos I noticed the new engine was puffing a bit, plus there's a bit of a stutter in the rev range so I'm booked in with Andy at Engine Dynamics to have a map tweak to be on the safe side.