197 Cup F4RT track car

Finished the interior off this week, really happy with how it looks just some small bits left. I bought a bulkhead adapter as it looked too crude before then drilled some carbon sheet to seal off. But now I need to wait for some 90 degree bends to finish this. Also waiting for a switch to turn the motor on and off.

4ad7bcdb48c4b85dc578fdbeefcd8173.jpg

4b76c33dba167bf413cbe5ead8b6c92f.jpg

So that’s the todo but here’s how it looks so far, some of the lighting was the best as it was in the garage whilst it was raining.

28d8de52315744cc9d1fca795dfd6a67.jpg

dda50e5d448d1003241a41fdfbb46a90.jpg

34fd5ea534afed3b80011f0a75e33835.jpg

a2ede1c14d89a76170dff4c1ea69879e.jpg

d310b887716eceba86ee2f0598f42ff1.jpg

5ec6c7e2a8589acf573aef20223d5b0a.jpg

4eb34c278de5998fb8ba6cc6ff35a40d.jpg

85fa4f7af9c61602a7ee8ab5068e526f.jpg

501d67e3a6711209b921c95ce348aea9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removed the suspension today ready to fit new ball joints both uppers weren’t the best and lhf lower was in need of changing but the right lower had very excessive play not sure I can add a video and a bit pointless me adding to YouTube but a photo kind of shows the condition

c6d6684f28a4873fd6e9bdb54fddf1d5.jpg

Quite an easy job when you have coilovers as they don’t droop as much as stock springs.

a9038fcbae2a4ab4c0fc6d47c335ab0b.jpg

5cf42ba19f66dd2a2305a212a62b982a.jpg

Stripped all of the hubs down and have new wheel bearings and new ball joints, bearings are actually okay but I bought some last year so may as well fit now. Only issue was the pinch bolt for both lower swivel joints were hex heads and they had completely rounded off so welder to the rescue, much easier than drilling.

1e862a565def79f46aa55fa8c1d8f285.jpg

Question or advice time please...

Does anyone know if cup racer ee brackets can be fitted without changing complete suspension. Ultimately I’d like to go over to full cup racer set up but I’m thinking of fitting pure motorsport bearing kit for the arms. But whilst the hubs are stripped can I use the EE brackets from a cup racer? Then add the rest at later date?

Reactions: Beany
A cracking car you have there. I have kept mine between track/road spec, as It is my only car, so does Tesco/Track days, and I drive to Spa, 1200 miles away, so kept air con etc. You have more skills/patience than I have as well. Hope to see you at a Track day. Being old, I am hoping restrictions are lifted by August, as I have booked a track day then. Fingers crossed!.

Reactions: L33 KUP
A cracking car you have there. I have kept mine between track/road spec, as It is my only car, so does Tesco/Track days, and I drive to Spa, 1200 miles away, so kept air con etc. You have more skills/patience than I have as well. Hope to see you at a Track day. Being old, I am hoping restrictions are lifted by August, as I have booked a track day then. Fingers crossed!.

Hopefully this year we will be able to get out I normally book with open track, have used others but they seem to be really fair and there aren’t too many idiots especially once the morning rush is over.

Removed the suspension today ready to fit new ball joints both uppers weren’t the best and lhf lower was in need of changing but the right lower had very excessive play not sure I can add a video and a bit pointless me adding to YouTube but a photo kind of shows the condition

c6d6684f28a4873fd6e9bdb54fddf1d5.jpg

Quite an easy job when you have coilovers as they don’t droop as much as stock springs.

a9038fcbae2a4ab4c0fc6d47c335ab0b.jpg

5cf42ba19f66dd2a2305a212a62b982a.jpg

Stripped all of the hubs down and have new wheel bearings and new ball joints, bearings are actually okay but I bought some last year so may as well fit now. Only issue was the pinch bolt for both lower swivel joints were hex heads and they had completely rounded off so welder to the rescue, much easier than drilling.

1e862a565def79f46aa55fa8c1d8f285.jpg

Question or advice time please...

Does anyone know if cup racer ee brackets can be fitted without changing complete suspension. Ultimately I’d like to go over to full cup racer set up but I’m thinking of fitting pure motorsport bearing kit for the arms. But whilst the hubs are stripped can I use the EE brackets from a cup racer? Then add the rest at later date?

Probably worth asking Rentune, they’ve made their own ones so should be able to answer. Let us know I might do the same if they fit without anything else since I’m about to strip mine down too.

Probably worth asking Rentune, they’ve made their own ones so should be able to answer. Let us know I might do the same if they fit without anything else since I’m about to strip mine down too.

I emailed them on Sunday and had a reply on Monday confirming they can supply the parts but now awaiting costs, the only issue I can see is the need for longer shafts as with my car having the megane engine and box I cannot just use racer shafts. Looking at A1AXX post they’re 25mm longer and he meglio’d his car so it can be sorted I’m sure.

I think there is a driveshaft company local to me though. The lad who bought my 205 has put a 1.8 20V turbo lump in and he had shafts made for that so worst case that’s an option, probably a costly one though.

I emailed them on Sunday and had a reply on Monday confirming they can supply the parts but now awaiting costs, the only issue I can see is the need for longer shafts as with my car having the megane engine and box I cannot just use racer shafts. Looking at A1AXX post they’re 25mm longer and he meglio’d his car so it can be sorted I’m sure.

I think there is a driveshaft company local to me though. The lad who bought my 205 has put a 1.8 20V turbo lump in and he had shafts made for that so worst case that’s an option, probably a costly one though.

Mike Sargent on Facebook is running meg and going cup racer subframe, I believe that one of the clio shafts will work as it's longer. Not sure if he changed the inner joint? But he got the other one lengthened. I'd have had one made personally.

Very nice work. Enjoyed catching up on your thread. Be nice to bump into you on a trackday if they ever get going again

Reactions: L33 KUP
Painted interior looks great, can I ask whether you bothered to remove the factory sound deadening and seam sealant or did you just prime and paint directly on top of it? I’m doing the same with my track car build but I really can’t be bothered to spend hours scraping it off!

Painted interior looks great, can I ask whether you bothered to remove the factory sound deadening and seam sealant or did you just prime and paint directly on top of it? I’m doing the same with my track car build but I really can’t be bothered to spend hours scraping it off!

Tried getting some off it’s a right pain even tried using a wire wheel on drill it just melts and sticks all together so I ended up priming and painting, it’s just to look neater really

Thanks, can you point me in the direction of the primer and paint you used? What quantity? Cheers Iain

1e055a691854f440c5094189e5ea18f9.jpg

45c63e349dc138aed235ff900aedd404.jpg

c591d9f5a70160651a73e6b3e722bdca.jpg

71edcdd0a726ca55c0617a42feef183d.jpg

So this is the best before and after I can do, but they cleaned up really well, dropped my spare box and gripper diff at Rentune for them to fit the diff and swap the final drive to a lower ratio for hopefully better suited gearings. Should be going from 4.07 to 4.38 so looking forward to seeing the difference.

Also installed new cup racer EE brackets from retune also and wheel bearings. Hoping to install the upgraded heavy duty subframe too and then I can finish the rest of the conversion to cup racer.

Gotta day Richard is a really nice guy there and not sure why I’ve not heard of them or seen them on here before. He’s really knowledgeable and happy to give good advice.

When I drop the subframe I’ll put more photos of me changing the suspension over but this is all I have so far for an update.

So this is the best before and after I can do, but they cleaned up really well, dropped my spare box and gripper diff at Rentune for them to fit the diff and swap the final drive to a lower ratio for hopefully better suited gearings. Should be going from 4.07 to 4.38 so looking forward to seeing the difference.

Also installed new cup racer EE brackets from retune also and wheel bearings. Hoping to install the upgraded heavy duty subframe too and then I can finish the rest of the conversion to cup racer.

Gotta day Richard is a really nice guy there and not sure why I’ve not heard of them or seen them on here before. He’s really knowledgeable and happy to give good advice.

When I drop the subframe I’ll put more photos of me changing the suspension over but this is all I have so far for an update.

Can I ask how much the brackets were?

So are you going for the new shafts too? As the new ee brackets make the shafts 25mm too short. Meg engine will have different ones to what rentune supply.

Can I ask how much the brackets were?

So are you going for the new shafts too? As the new ee brackets make the shafts 25mm too short. Meg engine will have different ones to what rentune supply.

Yeah bought extended shafts too. Rentune supplied these too and specific to the megane conversion. Brackets are £300 I can’t find anywhere that sells them unless they’re from used cup racers and even then come to over £400

How much of a pain was it to change the three ball joints / bushes , I’m doing exactly the same as you with those but I’ve not changed them before