06 Albi Blue 197

Well (given that I have only driven from the garage to Cadwell and back to W Yorks) in day-to-day use they don't seem any different. Pads would make more of a difference, but I think the grooved discs may be better at stopping the pads from overheating, as we were using what appeared to be standard "Renault Brembo" pads, which didn't fade at all. They were maybe a touch keener once warm, but weren't bad when cold.

The main benefit seems to be that I am not too concerned about them warping being as they are a two piece design - I have warped two many single casting discs, and it gets annoying.

So nothing especially exciting to report, but I have just fitted an auto-dim mirror from a Laguna 2, which was pretty straightforward, also took the opportunity to hard wire the TPMS display, phone cradle, and prepared for a nav unit.

No pics at the moment, but I hope to have some soon.

More interestingly, I removed the climate control display to find a pair of ISO plugs tucked away behind it, meaning that it wasn't really necessary to run the wiring for the car kit all the way down to the drivers seat. At some later date I plan to investigate this further.

Couple of pics from my recce to Buttertubs on my way back from Glasgow yesterday;

2010-10-15002a.jpg

2010-10-15001a.jpg

TPMS now hard wired;

2010-10-16003.jpg

Phone cradle with the wiring now tucked away;

2010-10-16004.jpg

And a couple of the auto-dim mirror;

2010-10-16005.jpg

2010-10-16006a.jpg

The car is absolutely filthy at the moment, it hasn't been washed for ages (work on house, holiday, week away on a job, etc.), so please don't judge from the pics!

Also as I knew I would be ferrying two colleagues around this week, I removed the boot tray thing, which really helped the versatility of the boot, especially with the full sized spare, so I don't think that will be going back in, for now at least.

Also I rewired the car kit, using the ISO plugs tucked away behind the head unit, rather than running the whole lot under the drivers seat, and back. The only additional wires that now go to the tuner part are the mute wire, and the four line-in wires, which makes it much neater.

Still really like this car, I have a few minor revisions to make over the coming weeks, GPS mount, and the odd rattle to pin down, but nonetheless, it is a brilliant little car.

Last edited:
Was the buttertubs open because when we all went up on saturday the road was shut?
Car looks awesome. I am in love with the steering wheel!

From a Laguna 2, circa 01-05, fitting and surround is same as standard, but becareful you don't crack the screen when removing the original mirror...

Wiring is 4 wires, but I have only connected the live and earth. One of the other two should be a feed from the reversing lights to deactivate when in reverse, not sure what the 4th is for, but it works fine with just the two.

Whats the steering wheel like to hold now? is it comfortable? Does it make your hands sweaty and slippy?

Nothing exciting to report at the minute, just recevied this today;

2010-10-25.jpg

Will be fitting soon, at the same time as applying some Second Skin Damplifier to the front doors and trims.

Nothing exciting to report at the minute, just recevied this today;

2010-10-25.jpg

Will be fitting soon, at the same time as applying some Second Skin Damplifier to the front doors and trims.

Could you let me know what these are like please mate! I collect my car this week :smile:

Fitted the Pioneers last night, mangling at least one of the tweeter covers in the process. I have spent a lot of time in the car today (West Yorks - Swansea - West Yorks, with the M1 shut from J29-J28 on the way down, 516miles, so a LONG time in the car...) and I am not entirely sure they are an improvement, granted I had the stereo set on "ROCK" but I hadn't changed it since removing the OE speakers. They seem to get "farty" with anything bass like from around volume 20 and up. I am going to put some sound deadening on the doors at some point over the next month or so, and will see what I think then.

On the plus side, on the way back from Swansea we had a much better run, averaged 61mph and 41mpg, over 254 miles, so I was quite pleased with that!

Thats a bit of a disappointment. Remember speakers need a bit of time to run in so they might loosen up a little bit. Lets hope so

I think the car needs bigger speakers really. I have a Combo works van with built in sat nav, and its a much better set up lol. Bigger door speakers, think around 15-16cm. You can butcher a set in a MK2 Clio quite easily. Might look into it for my 197 Cup. 13cm is a bit weedy imo

Yep, 6.5" is what you really want. I have some in my garage at home but just don't fancy chopping up the door card to fit them in