Why isn't the 197/200 a keeper?

it's all down to age and value of the vehicles IMO. They're gettng cheaper and starting to appeal to those with a more modest budget so I believe the trend will change, but upto now they've been mostly owned by the kind of person that buys a brand new car every 1-3 years and keep changing for no reason other than getting something newer. I'm giving serious consideration to chopping in the 172 and getting a 197 for some heavy performance modification

Its basically this.

Because of the £999 down, £199 a month PCP Renault did; while it proved very good at getting 200's in circulation it created the issue of alot of owners parting after the 2yrs was up.

Its basically this.

Because of the £999 down, £199 a month PCP Renault did; while it proved very good at getting 200's in circulation it created the issue of alot of owners parting after the 2yrs was up.

I will be classed in this new category of owner as I've only recently been able afford a 197 being a 21 yr old whipersnaper at Uni :smiley::smiley: No looking down on me though you lot!

Mine seems to be a keeper, I can't see an alternative that is as flexible. Looked at faster cars, Elise, Z4Ms etc. but they all come with more draw backs than gains.

I can transport an Ikea table, chairs and coffee table in the back of mine still with room to spare and then the next day take it down to a track and thrash it round while keeping up or passing more expensive cars.

It'll take me to work and back fine and really doesn't do so bad on fuel considering all it does.

I also owe nothing on it so neither need to save up or get into finance (mortgage was my one and only loan, ignoring student loan).

I'm sure I'll keep looking but it's going to take something pretty special (and rwd) to come along to change my mind.

I will be classed in this new category of owner as I've only recently been able afford a 197 being a 21 yr old whipersnaper at Uni :smiley::smiley: No looking down on me though you lot!

You and me both Deaks ! :thumbsup:

Personally, I've owned my 197 for probably around 7 months and I honestly really struggle seeing myself getting bored of it in the near future because I just find it so fun to drive. I probably plan on keeping it for a good 4 years minimum (providing it doesn't blow up or anything drastic, touch wood!) :smile:

I can transport an Ikea table, chairs and coffee table in the back of mine still with room to spare and then the next day take it down to a track and thrash it round while keeping up or passing more expensive cars.

I was reading something on pistonheads earlier about bootspace being a priority when choosing his/a car and i can honestly say practicality was never something i looked into when buying mine.

Boot space, legroom, MPG, how comfy the rear seats were, nothing was even thought about, not even how much road tax cost, i was having one and that was it :smiley: no plans on selling anytime soon :clap:

Boot space, legroom, MPG, how comfy the rear seats were, nothing was even thought about, not even how much road tax cost, i was having one and that was it :smiley: no plans on selling anytime soon :clap:

I was the same. As long as I fitted in (I'm a big bloke) and was comfortable then I was having one. I'll probably keep it a few years too.

:smiley: me neither, I went to the Dealership took a couple of them out for a decent Hoon, loved it, bought one. To this day I still think the sales man at Harratts Wakefield has balls of steel for letting me drive their cars that hard :smiley:

:smiley: me neither, I went to the Dealership took a couple of them out for a decent Hoon, loved it, bought one. To this day I still think the sales man at Harratts Wakefield has balls of steel for letting me drive their cars that hard :smiley:

ha ha! should have been with me when i tested a 250cup :rofl:

ha ha! should have been with me when i tested a 250cup :rofl:

Don't get me started on those, the first time I drove one of them I lost it on the way in to Copse corner in the wet :smiley:. Balls of steel required by the Silverstone instructor that day too. I really shouldn't be allowed in other peoples cars... :lol:

My mate was actually told to slow down when he took the Focus RS out for a test drive! It made his day!!

Mine is a keeper.
Spent too much money on it n is my everyday n track slag.
Never let me down as over serviced simply by extra oil changes 8)
Still love it after nearly 2 yrs fun.

I had my 197 for 14 months. It was faultless! It never let me down and it was during the 2009/10, 2010/11 winter. I drove an R26 during that time which made me want to change. I wish now I would have kept the Clio despite no issues with the Meg. This despite the Clio not geting many positive comments during ownership from friends and family. The Megane gets loads of praise from everybody. Strangers constantly asking questions about it wherever I go.

Had my first 200 for 2 years (which was faultless) until i saw the Raider when mine went in for a service. After 11 months of having the Raider, still glad i made the choice to get it. There wont be 50 units in the UK so that's a bigger bonus for me to keep it.

They are a keeper.

Yes, they're not the quickest car in a straight line, and the tuning options are limited unless you've got deep pockets. but it's everything else the car does so well that makes it stand out. The brakes, the handling, the driving position, and the overall feel of a high revving N/A. These 1.6 turbo 'hot hatch' are great for tuning, and I'm not slating them, but I don't find them as fun to drive as a car revving to 8000 rpm.

If you just accept how good these cars are standard, then you can't go wrong :smile:

Little more exhaust noise doesn't go a miss though :smile:

Last edited:
I believe the title of this thread is a bit wrong. It should have been ''is clio 197/200 a keeper?'' or something amongst these lines.

Apparently the Clio is a keeper for loads of people in here (and not only in here). I know people from Seloc owning clios because it's the closest to their great handling cars (gt3s, lotuses etc) ''cheap'' everyday runner they can get .

If you do your homework and know what you are buying from the beginning then yes, I can't see why you wouldn't consider it as a keeper. If you are looking for only a couple of blasts per month, no track days and mainly rides on the motorway or shopping then yes, clio is not for you. But if handling, fun and driving pleasure it's your thing then Clio is the way forward.

Of course times and circumstances change, people also sometimes are forced to sell (change of priorities etc). Fair enough I suppose...

Mine is a keeper by the way, have I mentioned that lol? And I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing all of my mates' faces when my cheap little clio is on their expensive bumper in the Alps this summer...

Tbh you can get a 197 for nothing nowadays and a 200 for not much more so it's my expensive to jump about in the price range and say been there done that.

When you start moving to say a 250 or focus RS it's harder as it costs more and less choice without getting more and more into money which takes longer to pay back.

I believe the title of this thread is a bit wrong. It should have been ''is clio 197/200 a keeper?'' or something amongst these lines.

Apparently the Clio is a keeper for loads of people in here (and not only in here). I know people from Seloc owning clios because it's the closest to their great handling cars (gt3s, lotuses etc) ''cheap'' everyday runner they can get .

If you do your homework and know what you are buying from the beginning then yes, I can't see why you wouldn't consider it as a keeper. If you are looking for only a couple of blasts per month, no track days and mainly rides on the motorway or shopping then yes, clio is not for you. But if handling, fun and driving pleasure it's your thing then Clio is the way forward.

Of course times and circumstances change, people also sometimes are forced to sell (change of priorities etc). Fair enough I suppose...

Mine is a keeper by the way, have I mentioned that lol? And I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing all of my mates' faces when my cheap little clio is on their expensive bumper in the Alps this summer...

This ^^^

The clio is not the quickest car ive owned by a country mile, but for running costs/looks/handling they are pretty hard to beat!