Why isn't the 197/200 a keeper?

We all agree that these cars are generally superb however it seems the average ownership is only 18 months. These cars don't seem to have the same affiliation as the 172/182 owners. Spoke with a tuner last week at FCS and they said the Clio 1*2 guys spend much more on their cars and keep them longer. Cliosport in essence really 1*2sport. There are numerous turbo and supercharged 1*2. But there's not been a flood of Meg'd Clio's like I thought they'd be. It will be interesting over next 12 months as people come to the end of their pcp deals and need to write a chq for 4 grand. Equally, the price of the 197 is dropping like a stone.
I think there clio 197/200 was the 'thinking mans hatch'. Will be interesting now the early ones are 4 grand, the baseball hat brigade jump on them, the forums potentially gonna be a very different place.....not to mention the Mk4

Funny cause as I look across to the Megs at FCS, I do wonder will there be more of us over there next year and less over here..(aside from generally keeping in contact because there are a nice set of lads on here).....Of course Baddass is still on here cause they don't accept Brummies on the Meganesport forum lol

cough cough( baddass= me ) lol i love the clio and still own one its just become the wifes car ... the problem with the clios ur stil so limited with what u can do with them turbos are easy to mod..:tongue_smilie:

I think it's the limited modding potential and the cost of parts thats really letting them down at the moment. Fact of the matter is people with warranties generally don't mod cars, hence nobody making them and so it all stays a bit tame. once prices come down I'm sure more will take up on modding them and putting more time/effort in so feeling rewarded and keeping them.

As for mine, I honestly can't say. At the moment I love it and there's no financial reason to sell. Once the fiancé needs some more economical mon-fri I doubt I'll keep it as a second car, mostly for the above reasons. I could get something faster for half the price let alone throwing 5/6k at modding it.

cough cough( baddass= me ) lol i love the clio and still own one its just become the wifes car ... the problem with the clios ur stil so limited with what u can do with them turbos are easy to mod..:tongue_smilie:

Loool....Badbuzz2 your new name is Badass

I've owned mine 2 years and only just begun modifying it, so think I've got at least another 18 months to 2 years of ownership. I think the longer you resist the mods the easier it is to keep yourself interested further down the line.

2 1/2 years I have owned every car of mine, I just get bored of them.

But the 197 was such a drain on the finances, it simply had to go. The 182 average mpg is already showing as 7 more than the 197 over the last 20 tanks!

2 1/2 years I have owned every car of mine, I just get bored of them.

But the 197 was such a drain on the finances, it simply had to go. The 182 average mpg is already showing as 7 more than the 197 over the last 20 tanks!

7 more....massive saving that :poke:

if you do 10000m a year its only £335 saving...

Last edited:
its not enough of a saving to justify selling and getting an older car...

if you drive the 197 sensibly then you do get fairly good economy - 33-35mpg ave (thats a brim figure not a false mpg computer number)

Why are they no keepers . . .

Because they are boring . . .

For me it's as simple as that they are simply not "wild" enough to excite you every time you drive it .

When your in the mood and the car is set to go in the corners there is little better however the other 90% of the time , they are costly to run , uncomfy with their bumpy cup suspension , the look great though so its hard.

I dont think i will have mine much longer to be honest i am already looking at other things . . . .

I wouldn't say my 197 is something I'm going to have for more than a couple of years to be fair.

I'm already thinking about luxury and comfort over rawness.. Quite fancy a diesel A3 s-line :smile:

But I can understand why it's difficult to get rid of these car's, truly addictive to drive!

Why are they no keepers . . .

For me it's as simple as that they are simply not "wild" enough to excite you every time you drive it .

When your in the mood and the car is set to go in the corners there is little better however the other 90% of the time , they are costly to run , uncomfy with their bumpy cup suspension , the look great though so its hard.

I dont think i will have mine much longer to be honest i am already looking at other things . . . .

Wouldn't say they are boring but when launched in 2006, 185bhp was quick. In 2012, it isn't. The car looks hard as nails but today 210bhp should be the starting point. Its a real shame that the development of performance parts are so costly compared to others. No doubt king of the twisties but sometimes you just want it fast in what ever the situation you find yourself. Still an awesome car though.....speak with Mike and Jonesy who do have the power, and you can see why their cars are keepers.

Last edited:

Boring? The clios? eeeeh...not quite mate.

So out of curiosity which car for you is in the same (or not) price range and wild enough to excite you every time you drive it?

Mine's a keeper as well. I've been owning it for 1 and a half year and I can't find any reason to get rid of. No question I'll buy another car in the future but the clio is staying.

I recon it's because year are more track cars then given road use where as other things start off road use so just get bigger bhp figures but can handle ****..

I will not be getting rid of my 197 by choice any time soon! As has been said they are amazing cars and you only have to not drive them for a couple of days to forget what they are like, then back in the saddle and you are away!
At the moment the only way i would get rid of my car is if I was offered a 200 for a good price / part ex with better spec.