Why isn't the 197/200 a keeper?

We all agree that these cars are generally superb however it seems the average ownership is only 18 months. These cars don't seem to have the same affiliation as the 172/182 owners. Spoke with a tuner last week at FCS and they said the Clio 1*2 guys spend much more on their cars and keep them longer. Cliosport in essence really 1*2sport. There are numerous turbo and supercharged 1*2. But there's not been a flood of Meg'd Clio's like I thought they'd be. It will be interesting over next 12 months as people come to the end of their pcp deals and need to write a chq for 4 grand. Equally, the price of the 197 is dropping like a stone.
I think there clio 197/200 was the 'thinking mans hatch'. Will be interesting now the early ones are 4 grand, the baseball hat brigade jump on them, the forums potentially gonna be a very different place.....not to mention the Mk4

Funny cause as I look across to the Megs at FCS, I do wonder will there be more of us over there next year and less over here..(aside from generally keeping in contact because there are a nice set of lads on here).....Of course Baddass is still on here cause they don't accept Brummies on the Meganesport forum lol

Last edited:
price and age has a lot to do with it - car wise...

if i change it wont be to a mk4 5dr turbo - it will be a megane 250 cup or.....if i can afford it a fiesta st :poke:

The 172/182 are a hell of a lot more car for the money as they're now so cheap. I think when the 197/200 gets down to that value people will be keeping them longer and now warranties are running out the number of people modding them will increase.

Not sure how long I'll keep mine, I think at least another year then will look at moving to something along the lines of an S2000/boxster/Z4M

Mines a keeper will never let it go.One day I aim is to drive it again:roy:

Mines a keeper, I love everything about it. Even standard I loved going everywhere with it. I have a lot of fond memories and awesome things I've done, people I've met because if it, also in my darkest hours the car has always been the 1 thing that helps me forget for a bit and put a smile on my face.

Also it's had so much done to it, unless I spend a hell of a lot more on another car it won't be faster.

Mines a keeper, I love everything about it. Even standard I loved going everywhere with it. I have a lot of fond memories and awesome things I've done, people I've met because if it, also in my darkest hours the car has always been the 1 thing that helps me forget for a bit and put a smile on my face.

Also it's had so much done to it, unless I spend a hell of a lot more on another car it won't be faster.

Brilliantly put Mike

Mines a keeper, I love everything about it. Even standard I loved going everywhere with it. I have a lot of fond memories and awesome things I've done, people I've met because if it, also in my darkest hours the car has always been the 1 thing that helps me forget for a bit and put a smile on my face...

that is so true too my feelings as well :hug1:

Mines a keeper too.
I've put a lot into it so far and I've not had this much fun since my little orange 2ltr fez Si.
Although that thing was a real handful to steer at times.
I know its history, I know its been looked after and its only had 1 other keeper besides me.

Also seeing that everyone who has sold their Clio has ended up back in one at some point down the line (be it 172/182/197 or 200)
Its like an addiction, you can quit but it'll always be there, luring you back.

Nicole is a keeper for me.

I'll be honest and say I've looked around recently at 207GTi, Fiesta ST, Swift Sport and Civic Type-R... In all cases I could cut down my monthly outgoings in terms of finance payments etc.. But, in all cases the money I'd saved would be being spent on parts to bring the car upto the level Nicole is currently at. I do have a softspot for the 207 GTi, but after pricing up remap, filter, exhaust, intercooler, shocks/springs and a set of four pots I realised that I'd soon actually be out of pocket. I also realised that after spending all of that, it'd only just be close to being on-par with Nicole.

Bang for buck, these Clios are very hard to beat. I even looked at a 182 Trophy which would save me money!!! I must admit I'm sorely tempted at that one and over time it's likely to hold its value better than Nicole. But it's the same old story, I'd want to stick an exhaust on and some four pots and here we go again, the disease rears its ugly head. :smiley:

So instead, I'm saving for a Cambelt...

The green one is staying forever hopefully. No guarantees can be made for definite though but the aim is to keep her for ever.

I'd love a Trophy.....Mr Willis.

Emails have been sent, very very tempted. :wink:

I've found a couple actually, I'm figuring that if I get something so limited then I'll be less inclined to modify it...

Emails have been sent, very very tempted. :wink:

I've found a couple actually, I'm figuring that if I get something so limited then I'll be less inclined to modify it...

Limited... have you had a nosy whats available engine wise?? Are you trying to convince yourself Will or the missus??

Nooo, I mean limited as in made in limited numbers. I'd be more inclined to resist temptation and just go the OEM+ route rather than all out modding.

I need no convincing, I'd love a Trophy hahaha!!!

Caroline wouldn't notice the difference. :smiley:

Nooo, I mean limited as in made in limited numbers. I'd be more inclined to resist temptation and just go the OEM+ route rather than all out modding.

I need no convincing, I'd love a Trophy hahaha!!!

Caroline wouldn't notice the difference. :smiley:

Of course she would, theres a flaw in your plan they can only buy a car by colour not make and model!!

everyone will have there own valid reasons for keeping/selling there clio but for me if i was to go for a megane it would be for one reason,the power! and for me that reason alone isn't a good enough one,i think you've got to love the look of a car,if you don't why buy it in the first place,the megane isn't a patch on the clio in the who's a pretty boy stakes and i could never drive a car i don't particularly find a looker.I'll be keeping mine for another 18 months till its paid off then its the wifes,not sure what i'll be moving onto just yet but i've always loved the MK2 focus RS so for this week anyway thats my plans...

if anyone is thinking of switching to the meg though i would imagine now is the time to pounce as you'll prob still get a decent price for your clio and be able to find a good meg for similar money...