Top gear June 26th

Oh- and the fact I've just been at Santa Pod and managed a best of 15.6@89mph ain't exactly convincing me the car is quick either. Not when my standard 26 year old renault 5 can do it in 15.1@94

Oh- and the fact I've just been at Santa Pod and managed a best of 15.6@89mph ain't exactly convincing me the car is quick either. Not when my standard 26 year old renault 5 can do it in 15.1@94

i bet the 197 is 300kg heavier :thumbdown:

crash protection for ya!

know what you say over a lack of bottom end pull - but i dont think it needs anymore "peak power" - just the torque curve filling in a bit better lower down

but still the 200 if spanked correctly should have had the fiat :jumpon:

I've caught a fair few subarus,mr2s and the like of turboed atypical track vehicles around Cadwell so yes... while it'd help, the car is so good over all that it doesn't hurt it.

I've noticed it seems a bit flat out of the hairpin also though the 200 has a bit more torque and a lower gearing so it'd be an extra 4-500 rpm up which makes all the difference. I've not really noticed many people picking up massively faster unless they're in a Caterham or have a capacity advantage (think Carrera).

It's unlikely they'd give it an extra 100hp, maybe 10-20 more at most in the next iteration.

James May is a useless incompotent old floppy haired git, i think we can agree there :wink:

Agree agree agree!! The performance figures for both cars say it should have eaten the fiat as well! And everywhere but accelerating from low down it will!

My 5 weights 850kg, so nearly 500kg lighter! As seen as bits keep dropping off everytime I drive it it's probably even lighter now ! :smiley:

My only point here is the clio is w4nk low down- I think it's brilliant in all other areas!

I've caught a fair few subarus,mr2s and the like of turboed atypical track vehicles around Cadwell so yes... while it'd help, the car is so good over all that it doesn't hurt it.

I've noticed it seems a bit flat out of the hairpin also though the 200 has a bit more torque and a lower gearing so it'd be an extra 4-500 rpm up which makes all the difference. I've not really noticed many people picking up massively faster unless they're in a Caterham or have a capacity advantage (think Carrera).

It's unlikely they'd give it an extra 100hp, maybe 10-20 more at most in the next iteration.

James May is a useless incompotent old floppy haired git, i think we can agree there :wink:

Oh I know it'll only get another 10 or so bhp from renault with the blower- for the same reason the 197 and 200 didn't get more power- so it fits in with the rs range. It's needs to be slower than the Megane or it makes their flagship car pointless. But at least it'll improve torque and make it more eager with a blower, it'll make tuning it cheaper and easier too :smile:

I'm not disputing for 1 second how good a car the 197 or 200 are! They are brilliant to drive, I've not driven anything else that turns in so well or is so balanced, and yes, when driven well are more than a match for much more exotic tackle on the roads. BUT that does not change the fact they are lacking 100 or so horses.
I'm 35. I've done countless track days over the years (2 in this Clio now) and driven a range of cars. AND my honest appraisal is they are poor low down (I've driven 200's as well)
The 2 track days I've done in the 197 accelerating out the hairpins at Cadwell and Mallory were painful- 2nd gear, 3k revs and just sitting there watching std R5 gtts, focus st, even a ford KA with a 2.0 zetec just pull away until I hit 5k and started realing them in (except the focus, it just pulled away then I held the gap, didn't gain on him til the fast corners again). Using 1st gear was ok at Mallory but hard work and harsh on the gearbox at Cadwell!

I love my 197, but if ever a car was crying out for a turbo conversation it's certainly a renaultsport Clio. Renault know this- that's why the next generation will be blown to address the issue of low down grunt, or lack of it! :smile:

You have some valid points there pal and sounds like some good experiences on the track! Ultimately though if you put the 200 on the same track, same driver, same conditions it would beat the Fiat Abrath and possibly even the DS3 Racing.

Giving the 200 another 100bhp is not the answer. It fulfils a purpose in the market and does it very well. It has been praised more than any hatch back I have seen in my time.

If you read the proper reviews of the 200 (Evo), they actually praise Renault for producing a naturally aspirated hot hatch that is more responsive and fun to drive than its counterparts. As far as having a turbo goes, this has more to do with improving emissions and economy than anything else. In the economy of today it simply isn't feasible for Renault to build an engine of this design, which is why 1.6 turbo will probably be next on the cards.

I agree with what you're saying it is a bit flat lower down, but it soon catches up and the 200 is certainly better than the 197 in that respect. I take it you've had your 197 updated with ACTIS solution remap?

Last edited:
not seen the episode yet, but woulda been good to put them round the track to see how they compare against other hatch cars.

but it shouldnt so something was wrong....or perhaps it was made to loose!!!

Nothing was wrong with the 500 pulling on it in a straight line. In gear and on the move it's it's a quick little car. Quicker than the 197/200.

Its the braking and cornering speeds where the Clio has it licked.

a mate has mine has the fiat 500cc but hard top, and tbh in a car that weights less than a clio with more torque, its been close buts hes beaten me everytime, dont under estimate them

a mate has mine has the fiat 500cc but hard top, and tbh in a car that weights less than a clio with more torque, its been close buts hes beaten me everytime, dont under estimate them

Maybe I'm crazy but aren't they a touch under a ton? I looked into them a while ago as something a smidge cheaper but came to the conclusion they look easy to roll........

They can be remapped to approaching similar BHP as the Clio but the chassis isn't as good nor the brakes.

still at work and will be watching this tonight, but in general. Top Gear is going down hill. If it wasnt for loyal viewers then the show would have been scrapped years ago.

Be interesting to see what the combined cost is to make the show (6 episodes per season) and pay the three stoogies is. BBC is a joke. I think you should be able to opt out of paying a tv licence and not get the BBC, theres hee-haw on it anyway.
Just paying for other countries to watch tv, BBC China, pah!!

With regards to everyone jumping on the bandwagon about TG, I would like to point out I have always thought it was totally cr*p, so therefore they are all agreeing with me, which is ok :smile::smile: :wink:

dont get me wrong mike, i could watch the truck episode to a band playing. But last nights was poor,having watched it now.

With regards to everyone jumping on the bandwagon about TG, I would like to point out I have always thought it was totally cr*p, so therefore they are all agreeing with me, which is ok :smile::smile: :wink:

Yep...same ere

Last edited:
in the right hands the clio should of whopped all of em..... hence clarkson nearly binning that heap in the first bend with some classic understeer and hamster chumming on about gear shift, steering weight.... fiat can't do any of that!

Well let us settle this once and for all...

The advert featuring the Renault Clio 200 features Thierry Henry, Rhianna and Dita Von Tease - very cool, raining and sexy. I am sure you will agree...

The Fiat 500 advert features and over-dubbed Alonso - who is a tool...

There is only one winner!!!

I had a 500 Abarth ESSESSE and now i have a Clio RS Gordini. If the clio is above the 4500 the 500 abarth is behind and not a little behind. This also in the straight.
The topgear test is rubbish.....I love topgear and i seer all the shows but this test is rubbish...

Nothing was wrong with the 500 pulling on it in a straight line. In gear and on the move it's it's a quick little car. Quicker than the 197/200.

Its the braking and cornering speeds where the Clio has it licked.

I had a 500 Abarth ESSESSE and now i have a Clio RS Gordini. If the clio is above the 4500 the 500 abarth is behind and not a little behind. This also in the straight.
The topgear test is rubbish.....I love topgear and i seer all the shows but this test is rubbish...

well somethings not right here is it :001_unsure: