Top gear June 26th

I didn't enjoy it tonight either really. As other have said, all the same stuff. They didn't really say much about the cars either, just the Citroen had sloppy steering but was quick.

May didn't do the car any justice.

It would be good to see which car would come out on top if the Stig was let loose with them on the track.

All I can say is my Ford Fiesta ST would of been quicker than that Clio with May behind the wheel.

No justice, best medium hatch ever and it was shown on telly to be rubbish. Sigh.

That sucks man. I havnt been a fan of Top Gear for along time so I kinda expected something like this. They have a special edition Abrath and DS3 so why not have a fully loaded Gordini or Silverstone 200 and raced them with the same driver in the same conditions i.e Stig

The problem is crap like this gets absorbed by your average viewer who ends up slating the Clio and Renault with comments like....french crap, girls car, crap interior etc

I really do not like Top Gear now!

It was an entertaining episode, but The Stig should have done a lap as well.

Monaco

Richard : 2:20 (Fiat 500 Abarth Essesse Convertible)
James : 2:21 (Clio 200 Cup)

Top Gear track

The Stig : 1:33.8 (Clio 200 Cup)
The Stig : 1:35.5 (Fiat 500 Abarth Essesse)

Love'd it as always. quite a few funny moments, must have been ace driving round monaco at full speed Bernie, Flav & Christian were all good sports joining in :smile: I will be watching that episode a few times :smiley: 200 sounded ace on the track, familiar sound too with being surrounded by the on Yorkshire meets :wink:

Last edited:
I was left with a feeling of; is that it? at the end of the show. So the car that costs 7-8k more than the Clio is better?

I dunno what everyone is getting so upset about- they basically said the 200 is a great drivers car but heavily underpowered and the interior is dull- spot on assessment if you ask me.
They also pointed out the clios slowness wasn't helped by the fact James May was driving it. But let's be honest people- the 197 and 200 are not a fast car and totally lame under 5k revs. BUT they do drive sublime..... They just need another 50-100 bhp to really exploit the potential of the chassis and suspension set up! :smile:

Good job i've got a 197 instead of the 200 now innit! Obviously superior to the 200 and rarer so even top gear couldnt lend one....... :rolleyes:

was a bit dissapointed as with everyone else, but i still watch it every week lol

I thought it was pretty funny. Random and pointless as ever. :smiley:

It's an entertainment show these days as opposed to a motoring show.

I dunno what everyone is getting so upset about- they basically said the 200 is a great drivers car but heavily underpowered and the interior is dull- spot on assessment if you ask me.
They also pointed out the clios slowness wasn't helped by the fact James May was driving it. But let's be honest people- the 197 and 200 are not a fast car and totally lame under 5k revs. BUT they do drive sublime..... They just need another 50-100 bhp to really exploit the potential of the chassis and suspension set up! :smile:

so it got "out gunned" by a 158hp fiat and thats fine................come on!

My point exactly foxspeed- it did get outgunned, and no, it's not fine, it's an example of the clios main weakness of seriously lacking power low down.

My point exactly foxspeed- it did get outgunned, and no, it's not fine, it's an example of the clios main weakness of seriously lacking power low down.

but it shouldnt so something was wrong....or perhaps it was made to loose!!!

It didn't get outgunned, it probably got out driven. The 200 is a very capable car and if driven properly is proven to beat cars twice the price.

I notice you have 197. Well the 200 has quite a noticable increase in low down grunt as opposed to the 197 (I've owned both).

I've got a collection of magazines in my bottom drawer. Evo, Performance Car, Auto Express, Autocar and Top Gear magazine that rate the Clio as one of the best drivers cars ever. That's not to mention the countless online reviews and youtube videos.

One example is this comparison by Chris Harris from Evo who I would trust a lot more than the folk on Top Gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3e_mYY7Yr8

And challenging a Focus RS in this manner kinda proves that in the righ hands the 200 is more than capable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae4RqTW5UDU&feature=related

I'm not disputing for 1 second how good a car the 197 or 200 are! They are brilliant to drive, I've not driven anything else that turns in so well or is so balanced, and yes, when driven well are more than a match for much more exotic tackle on the roads. BUT that does not change the fact they are lacking 100 or so horses.
I'm 35. I've done countless track days over the years (2 in this Clio now) and driven a range of cars. AND my honest appraisal is they are poor low down (I've driven 200's as well)
The 2 track days I've done in the 197 accelerating out the hairpins at Cadwell and Mallory were painful- 2nd gear, 3k revs and just sitting there watching std R5 gtts, focus st, even a ford KA with a 2.0 zetec just pull away until I hit 5k and started realing them in (except the focus, it just pulled away then I held the gap, didn't gain on him til the fast corners again). Using 1st gear was ok at Mallory but hard work and harsh on the gearbox at Cadwell!

I love my 197, but if ever a car was crying out for a turbo conversation it's certainly a renaultsport Clio. Renault know this- that's why the next generation will be blown to address the issue of low down grunt, or lack of it! :smile:

Last edited: