Top Gear first driving impressions - Clio Trophy 220t

I thought I read somewhere that the gearbox will allow you to sit on the rev limiter without changing up in manual?

I clicked on the link earlier, and tbh just the way its set out and looks to be written, I dont feel like taking the time to read it. As you said 'witty' style of writing, ill take your word for it and wait for a proper review!

I thought I read somewhere that the gearbox will allow you to sit on the rev limiter without changing up in manual?

In race you can hit the limiter and it wont change for you. In sports it auto changes at max revs. Cant see why you would want to do that though.

My mate has just ordered one of these in matte white. Will be interesting to see how it is

He works for PistonHeads and the feedback seemed positive, general consensus is that the 200T is good and is the car the 200 should have been in the first instance.

Its a very negative review but that seems to be the way for Renault with the latest clio (its the in thing to slate it)

That list price though, ouch. Does anyone pay that?
Its close to what I paid for my 275 trophy.

Its a very negative review but that seems to be the way for Renault with the latest clio (its the in thing to slate it)

That list price though, ouch. Does anyone pay that?
Its close to what I paid for my 275 trophy.

Also add £1600 for the sports seats.

A full spec one is £25,085 according to the configurator!

Last edited:
In race you can hit the limiter and it wont change for you. In sports it auto changes at max revs. Cant see why you would want to do that though.

hang on a minute, I swear they have changed this from when I read it!

But for that, you have to put the gearbox lever into manual, press the R.S. button, then press and hold it again for the driver-focused mode.

No Brembos, 5 door and a dodgy flappy paddle - not for me

Prefer the looks of my 197 anyway
Classic 200t banter.

'No brembo's' this doesn't mean they are instantly cack without setting foot in one. 'Dodgy' flappy paddle, hardly but that is personal preference.

No Brembos, 5 door and a dodgy flappy paddle - not for me

Prefer the looks of my 197 anyway

So many things wrong with that statement. Typical review of someone who hasnt drove one.

Just to clarify from an owner of both:

The brakes are as good, if not better than oem 197 brake setup. But as with brakes, they are only as good as the pads and fluid you put in it. (oh and ive yet to hear of a 200t sticking brake issue)

5 door, this one is personal preference, but the rear door is hidden and actually comes in handy, its fooled several people who have tried to enter by searching for a lever in the front, quite funny actually.

'dodgy' flappy panel, nothing dodgy about it at all. Go drive one.

Correct. Renault UK kicked off and told them to edit it. It was factually incorrect. Having read the original version it sounded like TG didn't actually drive it and the piece was simply an incorrect re-hash of a press release. Some wag suggested that TG journalists need training on how to use cars before they drive them. Not a good look for motoring journalists really.

IMO EVO or Pistonheads will be the reviews to wait for. EVO in particular.

Glad to hear, thought I was going mad for a minute!
I've got my name down for a test drive of the trophy, pretty excited.

Why on earth were TG given the one and only press car first instead of EVO or CAR is cock up from RUK to start with.They had the car for approx 10 days before the review appeared at this rate it will a couple of months for all the reviews to be put online.The car"s been on sale a month and we are only now being drip fed reviews,the car should have been launched at a track with all the car mag"s present like any other performance car.This has all the hallmarks of the mess RUK made of the launch of the 200t-no demos/delivery dates.With no demos for the 220 due until late August,my 220 on order for Sept looks pie in the sky.

Classic 200t banter.

'No brembo's' this doesn't mean they are instantly cack without setting foot in one. 'Dodgy' flappy paddle, hardly but that is personal preference.

If you say so - just think they should be standard on a car of this marque.

Last edited:
Why? Because of the name Brembo? If the standard brake performs as well if not better than the Brembos (which I can attest to) then the only people who are bothered are brand chasers.

I've ordered my 220 and I cant wait till Sept/Oct for delivery..

Even the revised version is wrong to, you dont have to put into manual and then double press the button, just manual and press and hold R.S. for a couple of seconds.

If the TG reviewer thinks thats hidden away or complicated, he has no business being in the 21st century. It's just moaning for moanings sake and all very bandwagon...

This all makes me chuckle! As with anything in life, try it for yourself and then decide. Anything related to Top Gear is a joke, I just hope the Ginger one can drag it upwards again.

EVO is a bit hit and miss at the moment, but is the best we have, depends on who is doing the review. I still remember Chris Harris and his review of the 200 EDC and his words best describe my feelings towards my 200 EDC. Loved my 200 NA, but the EDC makes me smile more of the time.